• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran MEC CYA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, if I had to choose between the 737 and the 717 for summertime operations in the thunderstorm-infested ATL terminal area, I'd probably choose the 717. Even though the cooling and climb performance are better in the 73NG, the 717 has got better radar, higher wing-loading, higher flap speeds, and the skin is twice as thisk . . . the thing's a tank. . . . The 737, by comparison, feels like a Cessna 172.

Last edited:
Well, if I had to choose between the 737 and the 717 for summertime operations in the thunderstorm-infested ATL terminal area, I'd probably choose the 717. It's got better radar, higher wing-loading, higher flap speeds, and the skin is twice as thisk . . . the thing's a tank. . . . The 737, by comparison, feels like a Cessna 172.
Unfortunately, it's not a question of performance it's a question of economics. The 717 has higher maintenance costs, similar operating costs and carries far less profit generating customers. On top of the massive costs of operating a second fleet type that include training pilots, F.A.'s and mechanics and carrying millions of dollars of additional parts. It simply did not make any sense to expand to a second fleet type when it did not bring anything to the table that the 737 could not do as well with similar operating costs.

I am constantly amazed when I hear that the AirTran folks were shocked to hear the 717 was leaving the fleet. I agree there should have been more transparency with the issue to AT pilots so they could bid accordingly. It is also clear that there should be a new system that respects seniority to bid across to SWA regardless of base or fleet type.

I am constantly amazed when I hear that the AirTran folks were shocked to hear the 717 was leaving the fleet.

Why don't you ask Russ M. about that, since he was the senior manager attending road shows when we were told that the 717s would be staying until lease expiration.

Why don't you ask Russ M. about that, since he was the senior manager attending road shows when we were told that the 717s would be staying until lease expiration.
Plans change constantly in a large corporation. What doesn't change is language in a contractual document, like this excerpt from the Q and A section of Side Letter 10:

"Q In the event that B717's are replaced with different aircraft, will B717 captains keep their captain seats?

A AirTran pilots whose seat position is eliminated by reduction of the B717 fleet will bid system seniority for their new assignment. (27.F.2)"

Howard, given the outcome, perhaps it seems obvious now, but at the time, SWA management was conducting face-to-face meetings with our Pilots, telling them that the aircraft would be kept until the leases started expiring in 2017. . . . announced a TPA 717 domicile, put it out for a bid, and awarded the positions.

I have been awarded a 717CA position at SWA. I guess we'll eventually see what that means.

Howard, given the outcome, perhaps it seems obvious now, but at the time, SWA management was conducting face-to-face meetings with our Pilots, telling them that the aircraft would be kept until the leases started expiring in 2017. . . . announced a TPA 717 domicile, put it out for a bid, and awarded the positions.

I have been awarded a 717CA position at SWA. I guess we'll eventually see what that means.
Again, plans can and do change in a large corporation. If no one at AirTran saw this coming you were blind to portions of S.L.10 that specifically addressed what would happen in the event that the 717 fleet was retired. When it is specifically stated that this could happen you have to entertain the possibility that it may in fact happen. Hope for the best but plan for the worst.

They told us the same thing. Heck, The TPA 717 domicile was gonna be the only positive part of this deal for me.

Yeah, they told my new-hire class would would be Captains in 5 years. I should sue the friggen liars.

Again, plans can and do change in a large corporation. If no one at AirTran saw this coming you were blind to portions of S.L.10 that specifically addressed what would happen in the event that the 717 fleet was retired. When it is specifically stated that this could happen you have to entertain the possibility that it may in fact happen. Hope for the best but plan for the worst.

Plans do change, however, meany feel dumping the 71 was the plan all along.

Latest resources

Back