• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We have not had much constructive work on the contract with all the turmoil in the union right now. Negotiating committee members changed with new administration and then almost immediately after they were out of training they resigned because of "differences of opinion" with the BOD or president or something. So the company just the other day called a meeting in front of the mediator and told the union they need a 15% cut in non fuel CASM and any new contract will result in concessions in pay and work rules. New dates for negotiations were set up. It is a real mess. Management is again trying to find money out of the employee pockets to pay for their mistakes.

Sorry to hear that. Went to Airline Pilot Central to compare some rates. For First Officers, pay is already pretty darn bad. For Captains, I see you guys are about the middle of the pack. - OK.

So a 15% paycut is pretty darn tough. Considering inflation, you are already making 8% less than you did when your contract became ammenable a couple of years ago. Who is Mr. Fornaro trying to compete with for wages? Virgin, Miami Air, US Airways East?

I said in another thread that I thought the senior dudes at AirTran would throw the Jr. guys under the bus and you would end up taking needless cuts. I certainly hope that is not the case.

Good luck to you guys P-Dude.

Management is again trying to find money out of the employee pockets to pay for their mistakes.

Fight the good fight. Management needs to be taught that crew payroll is a fixed cost, and cannot be cut every single time there is a rise in other unrelated costs.

I said in another thread that I thought the senior dudes at AirTran would throw the Jr. guys under the bus and you would end up taking needless cuts..

And we handed you your ass when you said it the first time. :laugh:

Who gives a rat's asss what you think? You're not a part of our Pilot group . . . . so maybe you should be braying about something you have some knowledge about . . . . if such a subject exists.

Last edited:
Oil is down 30% from its high, 15% of domestic airline capacity is being removed from the system over the next 6 weeks, our cash burn rate is alot less now than it was back in early July, and we have as much cash as we ever had (at the end of the 2nd quarter). Most signs are pointing towards profitability in 2009 (or at least break even). Overall pilot CASM is near the bottom of the industry.

Now why would we even consider concessions?

Oil is down 30% from its high, 15% of domestic airline capacity is being removed from the system over the next 6 weeks, our cash burn rate is alot less now than it was back in early July, and we have as much cash as we ever had (at the end of the 2nd quarter). Most signs are pointing towards profitability in 2009 (or at least break even). Overall pilot CASM is near the bottom of the industry.

Now why would we even consider concessions?
Because AirTran still has many in its pilot ranks that are scared! They are living their lives in FEAR and if management comes to them for concessions, they feel like they must do it to keep their jobs! Oil dipped 9/12/08 below $100 dollars a barrel before settling at $100 dollars a barrel and some change.

The problem is you have too many guys who don't educate themselves about this industry and take the word of a management team that has made too many mistakes. AirTran management wants to subsidize air travel off the backs of their employees because they don't have a long term plan for AirTran. The days of living off the backs of employees should be over, but there are too many employees that WILL NOT LEARN and will turn the other cheek just not to come across confrontational.......HOW SAD!

NO CONCESSIONS PERIOD!!!!!!

Latest resources

Back