• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran 717 vs. 737

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That is a good point. I think the B737 definitely has a better CASM than our B717, and the margin is growing larger as the cost of fuel goes up.

Other than Northwest airlines (who has a good working knowledge of DC-9 products), I can't imagine any other airline out there wanting B717's so we might be stuck with them for a long time (unless Boeing wants to get creative for some more B737 sales).

I only mention NWA due to the fact that they may be obtaining our 25 717's and the 87 (79 leased, 8 owned) at AAI (who has a stated desire to be a one fleet 737 operation) makes a logical target. 112 717's to replace 115 DC-9's. The DC-9's are owned and could be scavenged for part's that could be used on the 717's (I have no idea how feasible that is though).

whoa...slow down, now!

the only reason NWA has -9s is that they're paid for. once NWA (or more likely, Delta) decides to park the 9s, there is nothing that says they will replace it with the same airframe. Especially if there's a 73 replacement on the horizon. (with the possible exception of some Chinese-owned MD-90s, as I understand).

as for using -9s for 717 parts...I'm no expert, but I bet that's like canning a '71 'vette for 2008 Z06 parts.

Other question. What are the odds for starting and ending trips from STL when I would go for the 71?

Are the layovers better on the 71 or 73?[/quote]

Fly4,
All our trips start and end in ATL. I don't think we're overnighting that many airplanes in STL yet, but I know some guys who commute out of there and they say it's ok. I guess we have quite a few ex-TWA and TWA express guys who commute from there.

As for the layovers, it depends on what you like. My old body doesn't like to leave the Eastern time zone and I rarely do on the 717. After a while in this industry, a city is a city. I just want a decent hotel with good food and brew. With the exception of some western layovers, I don't think they differ that much.

Last edited:
Speaking of commutes, which area (FL, TX, NY, mid west etc...) would be the easiest to commute from????

Speaking of commutes, which area (FL, TX, NY, mid west etc...) would be the easiest to commute from????

I commuted from Chicago and it was a breeze. There were seven FL flights a day and nine on Delta Connection (Republic, Shuttle, ASA) out of MDW. Lots more out of ORD.

DFW wouldn't be bad, BWI good, basically any city where both AirTran and Delta fly to from ATL.

I commuted from Chicago and it was a breeze. There were seven FL flights a day and nine on Delta Connection (Republic, Shuttle, ASA) out of MDW. Lots more out of ORD.

DFW wouldn't be bad, BWI good, basically any city where both AirTran and Delta fly to from ATL.
Thanks

I'd be careful about DFW, though. ASA has a bunch of people who still commute out of there, and the loads are always tight. The JS is rarely available.

This may be basic; remember that it is always better to JS on your own company's aircraft. With that in mind, try to commute from someplace that we have a descent presence (banking on that 1 or 2 flights/day might not be the best idea).

Just curious, I know some people possibly getting an interview call in the next week or two. What is the timetable for call for interview until actual interview to walking into class?

What date did you interview to be hired in the February 25th class?

Got the interview call on a Tuesday, interviewed the following Tuesday (interviews Tu - Fri), job offer the Monday after that. I took the very next class which was a week after that. So I was sitting in class, 2 weeks to the day from the morning I got the call for the interview. I was interviewing for the class that started yesterday but I took the earlier class as there were a couple of openings. That put me about 20 or so numbers ahead of where I would have been had I taken the first Jan class.

I couldn't be happier. What a great bunch of people.

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back