• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran 717 vs. 737

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just curious, I know some people possibly getting an interview call in the next week or two. What is the timetable for call for interview until actual interview to walking into class?

What date did you interview to be hired in the February 25th class?

when i interviewed, they called me the very next day with the job offer, but a friend of mine just interviewed and they told her they'd call her within two weeks if not sooner (but a guy in her class got the call the next day). class dates should follow shortly after that, i think, usually within a few weeks to a month. hope this helps!

Just curious, when I get on board today what a/c type would get me the earliest CA upgrade in a few years? Is all movement in the 71 due to upgrades to the 73, there can not be many retirements, right? Movement in the 73, I guess, is mostly acquisitions.

Other question. What are the odds for starting and ending trips from STL when I would go for the 71?

Are the layovers better on the 71 or 73?

It doesn't matter what airplane you are on as a FO. You can bid a CPT vacancy on either airplane based on seniority (you hire date and age). My guess would be that the B717 ends up being a quicker upgrade for guys down the road. The B717 has been more junior for the last 12 months. Before that, it seemed to go back and forth month to month, depending on which airplane had more CPT vacancies that month.

Alot of movement on 717 FO side recently as 717 FOs upgrade to both airplanes. There has been quite a few 717 CA vacancies over the last 6 months that have been filled by senior 717 FO's and very few (2 I think) 737 FO's. Hope this info helps.

Just curious, I know some people possibly getting an interview call in the next week or two. What is the timetable for call for interview until actual interview to walking into class?

What date did you interview to be hired in the February 25th class?

I interviewed on Jan 2'nd and got the call on Mon the 8'th for a Feb 25'th class.

We were told by JL in class that the 717's are on lease until 2018, so they are not going away anytime soon.

I believe the B717's are on 18 year leases which means the initial one would expire in 2018. The last 717 every built (which we have), was delivered in May of 2006, so an 18 year lease on that one wouldn't expire until 2024.

I believe the B717's are on 18 year leases which means the initial one would expire in 2018. The last 717 every built (which we have), was delivered in May of 2006, so an 18 year lease on that one wouldn't expire until 2024.

not quite, the 2006 annual report states the leases run until 2022.

We lease 79 B717 aircraft through various lessors, under leases with terms that expire through 2022. We have the option to renew the B717 leases for periods ranging from one to four years. The B717 leases have purchase options at or near the end of the lease term at fair market value, and two have purchase options based on a stated percentage of the lessor’s defined cost of the aircraft at the end of the thirteenth year of the lease term. Each of the leases contains return conditions that must be met prior to the termination of the leases. Forty-one of the B717 leases are the result of sale/leaseback transactions. Deferred gains from these transactions are being amortized over the terms of the leases. At December 31, 2006 and 2005, unamortized deferred gains were $59.7 million and $62.4 million, respectively. We also lease facilities from local airport authorities or other carriers, as well as office space under operating leases with terms ranging up to 12 years. In addition, we lease spare engines and certain rotables under capital leases.
just because the leases run that long doesn't mean they will keep the airplanes. if nwa wants them to replace the dc9-30's and -50's i am sure it could be negotiated.

Last edited:
That is a good point. I think the B737 definitely has a better CASM than our B717, and the margin is growing larger as the cost of fuel goes up.

Other than Northwest airlines (who has a good working knowledge of DC-9 products), I can't imagine any other airline out there wanting B717's so we might be stuck with them for a long time (unless Boeing wants to get creative for some more B737 sales).

Latest resources

Back