Airtran 717 vs. 737

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

27 driver

I just was offered a spot a Airtran. I have heard that the class will be split between the 71 and the 73. I was just wondering if some of the Airtan folks could shed some light on which is the better choice. I am more concerned with QOL, commutable trips, least reserve time, etc. I am not as concerned with the lay overs and destinations. Any help is appreciated.

I just was offered a spot a Airtran. I have heard that the class will be split between the 71 and the 73. I was just wondering if some of the Airtan folks could shed some light on which is the better choice. I am more concerned with QOL, commutable trips, least reserve time, etc. I am not as concerned with the lay overs and destinations. Any help is appreciated.

The growth is in the 737 fleet. You will probably spend less time on reserve on that fleet. With that said, you will fly longer flights (transcon) vs. short hops here and there. I say go for the 737 if offered...

That being said about the 737 above, I'll give you a spiel for the 717. It's more technologically advanced and is very automated; I love it. For the same time away from home on a trip, you'll probably fly more in the 717 (maybe 4 legs a day for a total of 6.5 hours versus a one leg day on the 737 for 4.5 hours), so that equals more pay on the 717. The 737 type rating would be nice to have since not many other airlines have 717s. But as far as I know, the AirTran plan is to become an all 737 fleet someday, so you'll fly the 737 sooner or later. I'm enjoying my time in the 717 for a few more years until our leases run out, but I'm sure I'll enjoy the 737 just as much. Your seniority based on age in your hiring class will let you choose your jet. Expect 737s to go first. There's a two year seatlock when you train on your equipment, then you're free to move. Hope this helps. Either way, welcome to the youngest all boeing fleet!

That being said about the 737 above, I'll give you a spiel for the 717. It's more technologically advanced and is very automated; I love it. For the same time away from home on a trip, you'll probably fly more in the 717 (maybe 4 legs a day for a total of 6.5 hours versus a one leg day on the 737 for 4.5 hours), so that equals more pay on the 717. The 737 type rating would be nice to have since not many other airlines have 717s. But as far as I know, the AirTran plan is to become an all 737 fleet someday, so you'll fly the 737 sooner or later. I'm enjoying my time in the 717 for a few more years until our leases run out, but I'm sure I'll enjoy the 737 just as much. Your seniority based on age in your hiring class will let you choose your jet. Expect 737s to go first. There's a two year seatlock when you train on your equipment, then you're free to move. Hope this helps. Either way, welcome to the youngest all boeing fleet!

Thanks man, this is what I am looking for. Right now I am leaning towards the 71 because of the numbers. There are quite a few more 71's than 73's right now. I know that will be changing over the next few years. With my demented way of thinking that translates into more line choices and less reserve time. My logic may be flawed though. Any thoughts.

I am on the 717. I have been online since Aug. and should have a build up line in March....so about 5-7 months on RSV. I love the airplane....very automated. The stews are great. Most are young and have great attitutes. So far the company is good to work for, I live in base which greatly improves QOL. I am gone from home about 6-7 nights a month with about 85 hours credits. Welcome.

MVR

There will probably more 717 FO's upgrading over the next couple years than 737 FO's. Most 737 FO's are waiting for 737 CA which is taking longer now since most vacancies for 737 CA are being filled by 717 CA.

Over the last 6 months, I would guess a 717 FO would be moving up 8-12 numbers a month due to senior 717 FO upgrading. Also, I would say overall the 717 FO's are younger, and a large percentage of these younger guys have there resumes out there and are looking for jobs like CAL and DAL.

The senioirity progression on 737 FO side is based on increased number of aircraft which puts for FO's behind you. There is alot less seniority progression due to senior FO's upgrading and attrition on the 737.

Latest resources

Back