Airman closed until further notice..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
philo beddoe said:
We need to come up with some informal organization that would act as a communications group to promote the no-pay-upfront message.
Sort of a "union" for student pilots. A website, real-life horror stories and other info for the prospective student that would essentially try to talk them out of any upfront payment plan. The group could target students at schools all over the country.

I would love nothing more. Unfortunately, come December of next year (which gives me some time), I will begin making repayments on a loan that never yielded me even half of what I paid for, since Key bank disbursed it directly to me. I suppose I should have known well enough to see the red flags with that, but by golly, I didn't. Maybe I will spend my time traversing the country as a motivational (or de-motivational, depending on how you look at it) speaker, slowly trying to recoup my loss while I scare the next generation of dumb young'uns away from slimeball aviation outfits. Maybe I'll turn into one of those frustrated guys who goes to work for AOPA or something just to wage this battle...::shudder::. And the thing is, Airman's been around quite awhile, so you'd tend to think a little better of it with that kind of longevity. Wolves inside of sheep, and all that...

I just ran down to the store to grab the paper, looks like I've already been beat to posting the story. I just wish I could add onto that line about Brenda being unavailable for comment....because she's probably in f*ing Mexico by now!!!

philo beddoe said:
We could strike fear into corrupt school owners everywhere.

I feel like all I have left is revenge. Is it time to light up the Bat-Signal?

MFR

Ok, I might draw some flames for this but here goes:

If anyone wants to fly with me to work on their ticket AND THEY WERE FLYING AT AIRMAN WHEN THEY CLOSED, then I will do their instruction for free. They pay for the airplane, and if I like the way you fly, you may get some rides with me in my C182. Where you rent is your choice. The easiest would be Cruise Aviation, if not the cheapest, but the instruction's free, so that's an offset.

I am a CFI/II. I can also help with a CFI initial rating, I've got the 200/2 requirement met.

I will be able to help with a limited number of students. I have a small business and other obligations.

Notes/disclaimers to ward off standard flightinfo flames (I know someone's just waiting):

- I'm trying to help out with the situation.
- No, I do not normally work for free.
- Yes, I know I will get 'free' flight time, but I own a plane and get paid to fly it by the USCG Aux from time to time, so it's not that big a deal for me. As a matter of fact, I flew 8 hours for them Tuesday.
- This offer is open only to students who had money on deposit with Airman and were working on a ticket when they closed.

Please direct flames and insults elsewhere if you are planning on clicking that reply button.

And why shouldn't they? they loaned money to the student, not to the flight school. If you chose to take the money that has been loaned to you and hand it over to a flight school which takes the money and runs it's no the bank's problem. You borrowed the money, so you owe the money.

A Squared hit the nail right on the head, I couldn't agree more. If "you" were given that money then you should be held completely accountable for that amount that was handed to you regardless of the situation(s). You got it, regardless of what you decided to do with it once you received it. I feel for the folks that are out the money but lesson learned would be not to give the e n t i r e lump sum up front and pay per course, per rating, etc, so if this would happen at your flight school you would have obtained the training that was paid for and the remaining money left "in your pocket" could be taken elsewhere that would allow you to finish your training. The last thing I would ever do would be to drop $30,000 -40,000 up front unless I was 100% certain of the school's current financial situation and even at that I would still be somewhat skeptical about what potentially could happen at some point down the line. Unfortunate what took place, I feel for the students who are now going to be out a substantial amount of money but in reality this certainly isn't the first flight school to close it's doors and it surely won't be the last.

Contrary to popular belief, I truly don't buy into the negativity that some have painted here with regards to Brenda, don't think she was out to do this nor do I think she "took" the money and ran and I am pretty confident in time that the facts will come out.

Speculation is only speculation, I suggest a few put emotion aside and step back and await the many answers that still have not come out yet.

Easy to crucify those without knowing all the details, easier to place blaim on certain individuals without knowing what that inner circle had been going through in the weeks leading up to this closure.

take it day by day and time is your best friend at this point.

Don't rush to make conclusions here, easy to do when emotion is running wild from many.

rcbullock said:
Ok, I might draw some flames for this but here goes:

If anyone wants to fly with me to work on their ticket AND THEY WERE FLYING AT AIRMAN WHEN THEY CLOSED, then I will do their instruction for free. They pay for the airplane, and if I like the way you fly, you may get some rides with me in my C182. Where you rent is your choice. The easiest would be Cruise Aviation, if not the cheapest, but the instruction's free, so that's an offset.

I am a CFI/II. I can also help with a CFI initial rating, I've got the 200/2 requirement met.

I will be able to help with a limited number of students. I have a small business and other obligations.

Notes/disclaimers to ward off standard flightinfo flames (I know someone's just waiting):

- I'm trying to help out with the situation.
- No, I do not normally work for free.
- Yes, I know I will get 'free' flight time, but I own a plane and get paid to fly it by the USCG Aux from time to time, so it's not that big a deal for me. As a matter of fact, I flew 8 hours for them Tuesday.
- This offer is open only to students who had money on deposit with Airman and were working on a ticket when they closed.

Please direct flames and insults elsewhere if you are planning on clicking that reply button.

Thats a very generous offer RC. I hope someone will have the chance to take advantage of your services.
Feel sorry for the guys and gals that were affected by the closing.

350DRIVER said:
A Squared hit the nail right on the head, I couldn't agree more. If "you" were given that money then you should be held completely accountable for that amount that was handed to you regardless of the situation(s).

Thanks, that's not to say though that I don't have any sympathy for those who lost money, I do, It sucks, big time. Unfortunately, it it is an all too common story with flight schools, I've seen it time and time again, both nationally and locally, a flight school pushing hard to get large deposits of money, when in reality they were teetering on the brink of financial disaster. It's a shame that it's difficult to get word out to folks about this, unfortunately the folks involved are usually fairly young and haven't seen this pattern repeat itself many times.

A Squared said:
Thanks, that's not to say though that I don't have any sympathy for those who lost money, I do, It sucks, big time. Unfortunately, it it is an all too common story with flight schools, I've seen it time and time again, both nationally and locally, a flight school pushing hard to get large deposits of money, when in reality they were teetering on the brink of financial disaster. It's a shame that it's difficult to get word out to folks about this, unfortunately the folks involved are usually fairly young and haven't seen this pattern repeat itself many times.

It is a shame indeed. After hearing quite a few success stories about this place, it seemed like a wise investment at the time. I'll be the first to admit I got ripped hard by this, but it's not going to happen again, to me (obviously), or to anyone else if I have anything to do with it. Somebody made a comment about taking out sort of a public service anti-scam flight school ad in those flight training mags, either in this thread or somewhere else. That looks like a step in the right direction to me.

MFR

Latest resources

Back