• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airman closed until further notice..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Very good idea 997. He's right about the bank. Even if it was the bank that screwed up, they won't tell you that. Keep in mind it is the bank that has already given the money away. They'll do whatever it takes to get it back, even if that means lying to you. Call an attorney, the District Attorney, the media, the FBI, etc.

Edit: The stuff you guys said about Brenda saying how easy it is to get the loan changed sounds sketchy. There's obviously a good size group of you in this together. I would suggest that the bunch of you hire a private detective to check this out.

Last edited:
viper548 said:
Call an attorney, the District Attorney, the media, the FBI, etc.

I'm getting in touch with the local media outlets, and tomorrow I plan to contact the Oklahoma Attorney General about this. I will get signatures, statements, records, whatever I can from other students, and there are lots of us.

Interestingly, one of the county's assistant DA's is a part owner of the school, from what I've heard. I would think there's a potential conflict of interest issue there, but....I don't know that much yet.

Somebody said something about being dead in the water without the 141 certs.... in the past day and a half, a couple of the more honest employees have been in contact with the FSDO trying to get something worked out. Don't know much of the details, but there are a number of people with writtens to do and checkrides to polish off, so maybe they'll do some sort of temporary waiver? Like I said, not sure how that works, so I'll wait till someone with more knowledge on that speaks.

Grrr....anger, growing...beer supply, diminishing....

MFR

PS -- Does anybody know about TAB Express down in DeLand, FL, and how that situation worked out with Key bank, the students, and what happened to the people who ran it? I heard the Florida Attorney General launched an investigation into it, but I'm not sure what that means. I was reading about that today, and just wondering, since it looks like a near-identical situation.

Last edited:
flyinlow67 said:
When I was then in '01, most of the planes were leased from Christinsen in Tulsa. I think there were two or three that actually belonged to AFS.

Nope. Christiansen owns them all, and they is all going back to him. Tomorrow, I think.

MFR

We need to come up with some informal organization that would act as a communications group to promote the no-pay-upfront message.
Sort of a "union" for student pilots. A website, real-life horror stories and other info for the prospective student that would essentially try to talk them out of any upfront payment plan. The group could target students at schools all over the country. We could strike fear into corrupt school owners everywhere.

Norman aviation school folds wings at OU airport
By Robert Medley - The Oklahoman

NORMAN - The Airman Flight School, behind on its rent, has closed its doors and left at least one international student fearing she has lost thousands of dollars in tuition.

Airman, the flight school where accused terrorist Zacarias Moussaoui trained for three months before the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, had subleased a building and space from the University of Oklahoma at OU's Max Westheimer Airport.

George P. Bernhardt, a Houston-based real estate attorney for Baker Hughes Inc. -- the company that leases the Airman building -- said eviction proceedings started against Airman in Cleveland County District Court in late August.

Baker Hughes has a lease with OU through the end of October, OU spokeswoman Catherine Bishop said.

Airman was late on its rent to Baker Hughes, Bernhardt said, but had been granted an extension through the middle of September to leave the airport building. Bernhardt said he did not know Wednesday that Airman closed.

"I had not heard that, but I am not surprised," Bernhardt said.

Tracey Opoku, 25, whose home is in Accra, Ghana, arrived in Norman Aug. 15 after paying $14,700 to take a three-month fall course at Airman. She said she learned Tuesday the school had closed.

Opoku said an instructor at the school, Juan Carlos, called her and said he had been advised by an attorney to tell all students, "the school has been closed down until further notice."

Carlos could not be reached Wednesday.

'I am stranded here'
After applying for flight school in May, Opoku signed a contract for an Airman flight course. She enrolled Aug. 29 at the flight school on the north OU campus, 1950 Goddard. She said she has been told the school closed Sept. 1.

"I have to get a lawyer now. I am stranded here," Opoku said from a friend's house in Arlington, Texas. She said she is staying with the friend until she can find a way home.

She said she has spent about $16,000 with her tuition and other expenses.

Opoku said three students enrolled this fall were from Africa. She said one man was from the Philippines and another from Japan. Other students were from England, Panama and the United States, she said.

Roland Herwig, spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration in Oklahoma City, said the agency has been notified of the closing.

The FAA is responsible for regulating flying safety at flight schools, but not the business aspects of schools, Herwig said.

Although the Airman Flight School is an OU tenant, Bishop said she did not know why the school closed.

Brenda Keene, Airman's director, could not be reached for comment.

Keene told The Oklahoman in June the school had about 85 students.

Walt Strong, Max Westheimer Airport director, said the school's enrollment had declined since 9/11.

Airman gained notoriety after the attacks when it was learned Moussaoui attended the school for three months before 9/11. He is the only person charged in the attacks.

Strong said a decline in the general aviation industry also hurt Airman.

"Their business has been struggling for a while," he said.

The school's doors were locked Wednesday.

Opoku said she is furious because she thinks Airman officials knew the school was closing Sept. 1 when she enrolled just days earlier.

International students who had planned to attend Airman will not be able to enroll in OU's aviation programs this fall. The deadline to enroll was April 1, aviation programs coordinator Renee Mitchell said.

Besides international students, how many of you did the research on the flight schools that ran with the money they collected from poor students? Also, I always tell people, the cheapest is not always the best.. Go with the one that is a bit more reputable then the others. Shelling out $$$$$ is not something that I would take it lightly..

I place the blame on people who were looking for a "quicky" on their flight training as much as on the people at Airman..

Just got off the phone with Key Bank.

Not too bad of a situation there. All I need to do is come up with bank statements/cancelled checks for the money I was given and the rest I'll be off the hook for.

Anyone out there, I'd advise you to do the same. Call Key Bank or go in if you can...talk to someone in person.

Good luck!

-mini

User997 said:
There was another academy down in Florida that did this same thing a couple three years ago (ACA, ATA??) and despite the school closing with hundreds of thousands of the students money, Key Bank demanded repayment in full from the students - regardless of the situation. They have a bad reputation for handling situations like that. And that wasn't the only place.

And why shouldn't they? they loaned money to the student, not to the flight school. If you chose to take the money that has been loaned to you and hand it over to a flight school which takes the money and runs it's no the bank's problem. You borrowed the money, so you owe the money.

In Minitour's case, where more money was "loaned" than he requested, it seems the was some malfeasance, and perhaps the bank didn't do what it was supposed to. Fortunately, it seems mini is off the hook for the "extra"

Latest resources

Back