Airman closed until further notice..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Norman Suicide Blast

This is still sort of breaking news, but around 7:30 tonight, during the OU-Kansas State game, an apparent suicide bomber detonated themselves on the OU campus just west of the packed stadium. I was picking up a hot date two blocks away when we heard the blast, but we shrugged it off as halftime fireworks at the time.

Later on, the thought crossed my mind... could have been someone miserably screwed over by Airman!!!... but nah.

Still...you never know these days.

MFR

User997 said:
Man, talk about a die hard football fan. Sorry... had to say it...

Yeah, I was worried my own statement might have been seen as in bad taste. But I'm glad no one but the bomber got hurt in this, especially considering how close to the game it was. Could have been meant for the stadium and somehow went awry before they got there.

MFR

Turns out the bomber was an OU student. Today the FBI was moving a bench where the bomb detonated. I think they've released an identity, too.

MFR

This is a different type of tread. It went from airman flight school closing to the bomb that went off at the OU game in Norman OK. This tread should be The Adventures in Norman Ok.

Back to the second off-topic subject: OU tower!

In truth, there's not enough traffic from just OU and the transients for the FAA to keep the tower open-- either OU is going to have to subsidize it, or it'll shut down.

And yes, Jose is still being Jose- "Cessna 994, I have you 6.54 miles south-south-west of the airport. I need you to fly a heading of 354.337 degrees for approximately .457 minutes, and .89 seconds, then turn to heading 163.882 and enter the downwind approximately 7/23 of a mile before midfield. That should give you time to report midfield. Not in sight, cleared to land."

One theory I've heard from a knowledgeable source is that OU is not really that keen on keeping the tower open. It's been closed before. Theoretically, OU want to focus on the Technology part, rather than the Air[\I] part of the Air Park, and AFS's lease was not renewed so that an avionics shop can move in...

Back to our original topic:
In other news, it seems the Opposition may be engaging in some delaying tactics. I heard that they didn't show at an appointment to meet with our attorney a couple days ago...

Last edited:
The Tower will close. It will close by the end of the year or the fisrt part of the new year. I heard that for the koun management when I was at ozzies.

Latest resources

Back