Airman closed until further notice..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JonJohn82 said:
Whoa!!! Osu? The aircraft I was in was Crimson and Cream.
Aiy, Aiy, Aiy.... I so didn't mean to screw that up! Sorry to insult the best college in Oklahoma!

Editing original post!

Perhaps will have the best football team in Oklahoma AND Texas after Saturday.

Also, Westheimer is busy as ever.

... sorry, but I have to disagree with that. On an average day, Airman would add about 100-150 ops. I live under the downwind legs, and I haven't heard nearly so many aircraft in the pattern. You can't lose a school operating 15+ aircraft, and about 50 active students, and not lose a lot of operations.

You're right, but it hasn't dropped off significantly enough to warrant the closing of the tower.

When did the tower first open at OUN, does anybody know, and was Airman present when it did?

Too lazy to research it myself. :cool:

MFR

There's several black and white photos in the main hallway that were taken in 1940, and one was showing the tower cab. So I'm guessing well before then.

The tower closed for a period in the Eighties, due to inadequate traffic after the oil boom died and the Confederate AF closed their base at Norman and moved their aircraft. When Airman switched from being primarily an FBO to more of a flight school, the tempo increased enough for the FAA to fund a tower. So, it has closed before, and it can close again.

Yes, with Airman now closed, plenty of people can practice flight maneuvers in the immediate vicinity of Sooner intersection without pesky Airman aircraft shooting the LOC 3 interfering.

Latest resources

Back