• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airman closed until further notice..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just took a quick peek at some of the towered airports on an Oklahoma VFR chart and looked them up on AirNav. Obviously these numbers are averages, but it gives you a look at the ops of airports comparable to Westheimer.

KADM - 125/day
KSWO - 236/day
KAMA - 302/day
KOUN - 311/day
KOKC - 316/day - even Rogers ain't that busy

Maybe it's dropped off a bit thanks to Airman, but it's definitely busier than Ardmore and Stillwater. I think someone mentioned it before, but what about game day jet traffic and what not?

Not that I really care, since in another few weeks, I'll be out of Oklahoma anyhow. :)

MFR

phantomdriver said:
The Tower will close. It will close by the end of the year or the fisrt part of the new year. I heard that for the koun management when I was at ozzies.

It wasn't from the blonde lady in the apron asking if you wanted grits with that, was it? :D

MFR

I just don't see any way that KOUN's tower would close. There is too much student traffic, jet traffic, transient traffic, and traffic based out of KOUN to close it. If SWO's tower and Ardmore's tower are alive, KOUN's will be also. Now, they may cut back on controllers. I'm not too familiar with their requirements, though. I took a class to the tower today and they were still very busy. I didn't have the nerve to ask them of the tower's future though.

It'll stay open.

MFRskyknight said:
It wasn't from the blonde lady in the apron asking if you wanted grits with that, was it? :D

MFR
It was not her MFRSKYKNIGHT. Where are you going MFR? I will also be leaving the OKC area too.

phantomdriver said:
It was not her MFRSKYKNIGHT. Where are you going MFR? I will also be leaving the OKC area too.

Back to me good ol' hometown of Medford, Oregon (KMFR - Rogue Valley "International", based on their weekly hop to Vancouver, I believe ;)).

Speaking of which, I haven't been back there since before I got my Private. Anyone familiar with the flight instruction/future job opportunities in the Southern Oregon/Northern California general area? I probably won't stay there after I get my Commercial and CFI/I, MEI, etc., but it's always good to know.

MFR

Ca

MFRskyknight said:
Back to me good ol' hometown of Medford, Oregon (KMFR - Rogue Valley "International", based on their weekly hop to Vancouver, I believe ;)).

Speaking of which, I haven't been back there since before I got my Private. Anyone familiar with the flight instruction/future job opportunities in the Southern Oregon/Northern California general area? I probably won't stay there after I get my Commercial and CFI/I, MEI, etc., but it's always good to know.

MFR
I'm from the Sacramento area. Have you check out The Sacramento area yet??

MFRskyknight said:
Just took a quick peek at some of the towered airports on an Oklahoma VFR chart and looked them up on AirNav. Obviously these numbers are averages, but it gives you a look at the ops of airports comparable to Westheimer.

KADM - 125/day
KSWO - 236/day
KAMA - 302/day
KOUN - 311/day
KOKC - 316/day - even Rogers ain't that busy

Maybe it's dropped off a bit thanks to Airman, but it's definitely busier than Ardmore and Stillwater. I think someone mentioned it before, but what about game day jet traffic and what not?

Not that I really care, since in another few weeks, I'll be out of Oklahoma anyhow. :)

MFR

Only 311 a day? Jeezzz'us ... We got 820 a day at KRVS average (trust me, you don't ever want to fly on a friday evening when the day is nice). 40th busiest airport in the nation. And its only a part-time tower.

As for SWO, i thought that was a privately run tower?

mattpilot said:
Only 311 a day? Jeezzz'us ... We got 820 a day at KRVS average (trust me, you don't ever want to fly on a friday evening when the day is nice). 40th busiest airport in the nation. And its only a part-time tower.

Actually, it's only like 818 a day at RVS, isn't it? ;) Definitely the busiest in Oklahoma, if the tales be true. There's a tower that'll stay open awhile.

cmdrworf said:
I'm from the Sacramento area. Have you check out The Sacramento area yet??

Haven't looked at it too indepth yet, but I have a lot of family in/around Sacramento, Santa Rosa, Clearlake, etc. It'll be on my way when I drive back to Oregon, so I'll stop in and see what there is.

MFR

I agree RVS has got to be the busiest airport in the state, however I do disagree that there isn't enough training aircraft to keep OUN busy.

When we were departing out of there the other day at about 9 am in the morning, the OU Cherokee's were swarming like bees on all runways. Thought we were goign to have to pick our way thru there before takeoff. That could really be a dangerous situation with no control tower. Especially on game day as one person noted.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back