Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JonJohn82 said:
The GS is up on the ILS 17 now.
No kidding?? After two years of flying in and out of there, they finally got that ole box working?!

Will have to try that out Monday, it is "official" now right, not just working?

User997 said:
No kidding?? After two years of flying in and out of there, they finally got that ole box working?!

That's what I was wondering. It's been working for a while...but not "usable"...

-mini

User997 said:

It's a true precision approach now. We've been shooting it since before August.

The knucklehead I talked to on Friday must've been the same guy your referring to. Here's our conversation:

"Ground, Citation XXXX ready to taxi"
"Roger, Citation XXXX taxi to runway 21, departure freq is 135.42."
"Taxi Runway 21, XXXX"
** The moment we turn onto the taxiway (no where ever close to 21):
"Citation XXXX, contact departure."
"XXXX, you want us to contact departure?"
** About 5 seconds of silence on his end
"XXXX, contact departure."
(me in a confused voice) "Ok, we're contacting departure"
A few seconds of confusion in the cockpit - decided just to ignore him.
** At the end of the runway now
"Tower, Citation XXXX ready to go 21"
"Roger, Citation XXXX, position and hold."
** After holding in position for a couple minutes, he's assigned another airplane to land opposite direction our airplane. The airplane reports us on the runway, and the controller tells him just to do some 360's, cause it'll be another couple minutes before the Citation will get released...

Finally we're cleared to takeoff, and can you believe the guy never handed us off to Departure?? I guess he was just a little premature on the taxi out!

Anyways, usually those guys and gals are really squared away up there, but that guy was ate up that particular day! We couldn't get out of there quick enough!

What time were you heading out? Was he hard to understand? It may have been Bill. He's.....

...and you should have let me know you were coming!

JonJohn82 said:
What time were you heading out? Was he hard to understand? It may have been Bill. He's.....

...and you should have let me know you were coming!
Now that I think about it, it was actually Thursday not Friday. Been too many places this past week - my days are starting to blur. We were deaprting out of there around 530-600pm.

We were just flying thru, dropping off some passengers and heading onto the next place. One of those deals where you spend longer getting the clearance and taxi out, then you do actually at the airport!

Last edited:
eeeks...sometimes it was easier there to takeoff VFR and get our clearance from Departure...not sure if that's available to ya (ops wise), but on days like that...ya may want to give it a try...I was given a 5 minute clearance to shoot approaches one day working on my CFII...very interesting. Intercept this radial then to this fix and on to that VOR and fix here and radial to radial.... I filed OUN-IRW-OUN with an alternate at OKC and it said "practice approaches" in the remarks...I just don't get it sometimes.

Glad to hear the other pilot and you guys were on top of things...coulda been weird seeing someone land opposite direction.

-mini

Latest resources

Back