• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airman closed until further notice..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't know for sure, but I strongly doubt that. The tower was just recently redone. OU has plenty of sorties each day. Also, there is quite a bit of transient traffic. If Stillwater's tower is going to stay open. Westhiemer's tower will definitely stay open.

Didn't westheimer tower just get a new radar too? When I was finishing up out there, we kept getting squawk codes for pattern work...asked why and they said it was cuz of the "new radar".

I can't imagine they're closing any time soon. Too much transient traffic especially combined with OU. It's a pretty busy Class D...and it's only a part time tower anyway.

-mini

minitour said:
Didn't westheimer tower just get a new radar too? When I was finishing up out there, we kept getting squawk codes for pattern work...asked why and they said it was cuz of the "new radar".

I can't imagine they're closing any time soon. Too much transient traffic especially combined with OU. It's a pretty busy Class D...and it's only a part time tower anyway.

-mini
I am just wanted to if it is true. I just heard about it the other day. I have been at other airports that had new upgrade then to close the tower.

minitour said:
Yeap, went up and saw the tower guys a month or two ago and they were proudly showing it off.

From the way I understood it, they're tying off of Tinker or OKC's radar. Pretty cool little gadget they had.

User997 said:
Yeap, went up and saw the tower guys a month or two ago and they were proudly showing it off.

From the way I understood it, they're tying off of Tinker or OKC's radar. Pretty cool little gadget they had.

Yep, that's what she told me. I think it was OKC's. I was inbound for some pattern work in the RG and reported crossing the river...she said "you are just getting to the river..." I said "close enough" and she started b!tching about how "at least the radar doesn't lie, but enter the downwind....."

Is "Mr. Grumpy-gills" still there?

-mini

Are you talking about Jose mini? If so, yep. The lady, Sherry, is now the tower manager. They also recently hired someone from K-State.

That would be him.

He was working both ground and local one morning and I called for taxi for a West departure.
"Ground Cessna xxx Airman AWOS taxi VFR West"
"Taxi to runway ___"
"Runway ___"
"Tower Cessna xxx ready runway __ VFR West"
"Cleared for takeoff"
"Cleared for takeoff"
"Cessna ___ Where are you going?"
"West to Clinton"
"Make sure you tell me where you're going so I know...I cant have aircraft all over my airspace going in a million different directions."

Keeping in mind it was me and something like two other airman planes and 2 OU planes...no one staying in the pattern. At the most we had 5 aircraft leaving the airspace about 2 minutes apart from each other....sheesh!

That sooooo pissed me off. And the time he cleared me for a touch and go then the option and got pissed at me for doing a stop and go even after I told him that it would be a stop and go.

Not my favorite controller...

The lady was decent...she just had her moments. Really, what does it matter if I'm actually crossing the midpoint of the river or getting to the river? There was a break in the frequency and I decided that was a good time to jump in...get over it! And honestly, if I'm exactly midfield downwind when I call, great! But if there are other things going on and I don't get to call until I'm abeam the numbers then guess what...I didn't get a chance to chime in.

Most of the Westheimer controllers were more than helpful 90% of the time.

Just don't ask them for SVFR when it's 1200/2.5....sheesh :crying:

Okay...I feel better now.

-mini

I think I might have had a run in with that fella. I was coming up the VFR corridor, headed back to Wiley Post, and asked to proceed through his airspace. I was cleared, on altitude and right over I-35. Next thing I know, he's yelling at me that I'm too close to the airport. Can't win'em all I guess.

hoop said:
I think I might have had a run in with that fella. I was coming up the VFR corridor, headed back to Wiley Post, and asked to proceed through his airspace. I was cleared, on altitude and right over I-35. Next thing I know, he's yelling at me that I'm too close to the airport. Can't win'em all I guess.

Yeah he's impossible. And since the ILS was commissioned (is the GS "usable" yet?) it's even tougher to go down the corridor...it's like they want the entire area.

Oh well...OKC approach was always good to me...let me go right over TIK going to/from Stillwater...even with a mode c aparently inop...

-mini

That's him. He's a nice guy on the ground though. He's very strict on how many folks are in the pattern. One day only two were allowed in.

The GS is up on the ILS 17 now.

Latest resources

Back