Air midwest crashes into hangar @ CLT??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PRAY FOR THEM ALL

I knew the Captain. Excellent, excellent, excellent PERSON. One of the best individuals you could ever come in contact with. Everyone that met Katie Leslie fell in love with her infectious personality immediately. Always upbeat, outgoing, friendly and being around her would immediately put a smile on your face. I actually don't know that I've ever met a better person in my life. Everyone that knew her loved her and will miss her forever.

I'm sure people would say the same things for the other pilot and all the passengers. PRAY that they're all in a better place.

Let us also hope that the media remembers that these pilots are real people with real families and not jump to assine conclusions like they often do. I am sure the families are traumatized enough and do not need to hear speculation that there sun and daughter were at fault.
D

God bless the families of all involved and my heart goes out to everyone in the Mesa family

Here it comes. Slams on "small propeller" airplanes... - Fox News Website.
----------------

The prop jet that crashed in North Carolina -- an Air Midwest commuter plane run by US Airways (UAWGQ) -- was part of an extensive industry system known as airline code-sharing.

Code-sharing, which literally means that one carrier shares its two- or three-letter ID code with another, began on the regional level. Major domestic airlines partnered with local or commuter carriers as a way of expanding their network of destinations and improving their convenience to attract passengers.

The practice has been so successful that nowadays major domestic carriers code-share with other major U.S. airlines and with international ones -- but often leave passengers in the dark as to which company's aircraft they will actually be taking.

Read the Fine Print

Airline passenger and travel agent groups suggest that travelers read their ticket and itinerary information carefully so they know exactly what they're flying on all legs of their trip.

The Department of Transportation regulates that if a plane is being operated by a carrier other than the primary one, it has to be spelled out during the reservation process, generally either on the ticket or in the itinerary.

"People should always know what airline, what kind of aircraft," said David Stempler, president of the Air Travelers Association (ATA). "Many times, people don't know, don't care, don't look for it. But the information is there."

That's true whether a ticket is ordered online, through the airline or using a travel agent, he said.

But passengers who buy tickets on the Internet are often in a hurry.

"People who buy things online are not usually reading as carefully as travel agents," said Mike Greenwald, a spokesman for the American Society of Travel Agents. "They're getting themselves into trouble."

Greenwald says he frequently hears from fliers who ordered online and then have questions but don't know who to talk to. He suggests going through an agent or the airline to avoid that situation.

Passengers would be wise to look at their airline's Web site to see what carriers it partners with. All the major airlines list their partners online, according to Stempler.

In addition, they might be able to tell whether it's a regional carrier if the words "Regional," "Express" or "Commuter" are in the airline's name and if the aircraft is a smaller one.

Same Safety Standards

Until 1994, the safety of U.S. commuter airlines was a significant problem because many had lower standards than those of the majors, according to Stempler.

But the ATA and the Air Line Pilots Association succeeded in getting the rules changed so that the safety standards are now the same for all domestic carriers, regional and national.

"The safety of regional airlines has gotten extremely good over the last few years since the new rules," Stempler said.

Still, smaller or older planes generally aren't as safe as larger, newer ones – and often the crews aren't as experienced.

"We recommend to our members that the larger the aircraft, the better," said Stempler. "But sometimes you don't have that choice."

He said the type of prop jet that crashed, a Beechcraft 1900D, has a relatively good history and has been in service for a while.

Passengers should be particularly vigilant about domestic-international airline code-sharing, according to Stempler.

"The U.S. airline is supposed to check on safety standards of foreign carriers to make sure they're up to U.S. standards," he said. "But some (international) airlines have been removed from the relationship because of poor safety."

Travelers are advised to research the safety record of any airline or partnering carrier they're flying.

Still, smaller or older planes generally aren't as safe as larger, newer ones – and often the crews aren't as experienced.

"We recommend to our members that the larger the aircraft, the better," said Stempler. "But sometimes you don't have that choice."

Saying something like this in an editorial is one thing, but saying it in a purported "NEWS STORY" is irresponsible. I can't believe Fox News woul put something like that out.

Fox news is doing what almost every news outlet does: interview someone with an interest, or angle in the subject at hand. In this case, David Stempler of the Air Travelers Association.

It is more than typical for the person being interviewed to be the one who is editorializing, and it is a typical failing of journalists to let these talking heads speak without challenge.

I'm finding it very hard to want to watch the news anymore.

Gees.

Thoughts and prayers for those who lost their lives today in Charlotte and Turkey.

Timebuilder, you're right. But the first sentence not in quoatation marks is the journalist's reaffirmation of what the talking head said - given as if it were FACT.

That's not forgiveable.

JumpJetter said:

"The safety of regional airlines has gotten extremely good over the last few years since the new rules," Stempler said.

Freedom flies big planes but a lot of the crews have less experience than those flying the 1900's. I doubt they will print that.

I am sorry for the crew and the family members of those involved. I didn't know them but a friend of mine did. Don't expect a lot from the media. I get the basic details and then wait to hear from the NTSB.

God Speed,
AZPilot

I hear you, but think about it.

Although not chisled in stone, it's hard to find issue with the smaller-older, versus newer-larger argument. A smaller, older aircraft, with a crew with fewer hours of flying (to accrue experience) is a difficult sell to most people when compared to a crew with many years of experience, flying a younger plane with redundant systems and state of the art automation and avionics.

I don't know the source of the research cited, but this afternoon some stats were shown comparing various types of commercial flying, with commuters having one accident in 100,000 takeoffs, and transport jets having one per 500,000 takeoffs. If that is a FACT, it is a d*&ning one.

So, if the data is correct, the journalist is withing his ethical imperative to distill such a conclusion for the passive news public. We may not like that conclusion, and in fact it may be due to the flying that happened before the regs were revised. The news channels were also featuring folks who said that commuter flying was "just as safe" as a large airliner.

I don't think I'd agree with that statement, either.

Last edited:
Fox News

Isn't this a perfect example of an oxymoron?

I am disgusted when I walk through the pilot's lounge at work and notice fellow crewmembers watching this network. Let's see, the same network we trusted to bring us "Married With Children", "Celebrity Boxing", "Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire", etc. now wants to bring news reporting into our homes? Let's all rush to welcome them.

Although Mr. O'Brien is likely much less experienced than the average "regional", "commuter", "express", or "connection" pilot, I wonder if he informs his passengers of this.

I'd trade flashing "LIVE" symbols for a short delay to ensure accurate reporting. Since the advent of 24 hour cable news, it's become "speak first, speculate second, obtain facts third". Why do we equate the word "LIVE" with the word "IMPORTANT"? Just because it's covered "LIVE" doesn't mean it's a story we should watch.

That's my opinion about the media coverage. I am sympathetic to the families and friends of those involved. Thanks to those who've posted who knew members of the crew. It helps the rest of us feel a little closer to those involved in the tragedy.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back