• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air midwest crashes into hangar @ CLT??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Several hundred hours in a dozen aircraft"? He must be counting the blue cherokee as different than the green one.

jetdriven said:
Also it will climb over 1000 FPM with the gear down and an engine windmilling.

HHhmm...

Raytheon lists the One Engine Inoperative (OEI) rate of climb with flaps and gear retracted, and Autofeather as 670 fpm... I find it VERY hard to believe it will do better one engine inoperative with the gear hanging out and the dead engine windmilling...

AAflyer said:
Miles OBrien is an A$$.

Anyone know what makes him an expert? Does he have a PPL or something?

AAflyer

He is a PP and part owner of a BE-33 here in ATL. He is in my aero club. I don't really know him. He is the CNN space shuttle correspondent. I guess that makes him an aviation expert.

Not speculating as to a cause, or even contributing factor, but if assigned to investigate this loss I would want to try to document as much as possible whether the load manifest and load manifest worksheet were accurate. Someone with more 1900 experience than I might have a better insight, but didn't they have aft CG control problems with this aircraft at other airlines? Particularly when the aircraft is loaded heavy with out a whole bunch of fuel.

Often the bags and pax are sorted from the rest of the wreckage. Autopsy reports will list the weights of the people. However, I do not know if there is a system in place to try to account for actual bag weight.

Like all of us, the crews train and the aircraft is certified to perform a V1 cut. Having actually shut an engines down during part 121 flights, I can attest everything went just as we were trained.

Fortunately I've never had a V1 cut in the real world. However, I have confidence (until proven otherwise) that the crew did a good job. A Beech 1900 with a full boat of passengers in the winter might have been heavier than the crew expected. It is worth checking out.

Last edited:
I was just wondering, the media almost always screws up the reporting with aviation related news. How acurate is the reporting with subjects that I know little about? I have grown very cynical watching or listening to any news.

Just found out about this when I brought up Yahoo! news at work this morning.

*Thoughts and prayers*

Stephanie

dogman said:
I was just wondering, the media almost always screws up the reporting with aviation related news. How acurate is the reporting with subjects that I know little about? I have grown very cynical watching or listening to any news.

Great point, its no longer "news", it’s who can get the most viewers watching current events.

Once Connie Chung interviewed that APA union guy (the 100 pilot organization, not the big 121 union), I swore I'd never watch again. And frankly I'm much happier now that I get the news on PBS, News Hour with Jim Lehrer, is the way to go!

I just left this guy an email too......maybe next time he will get it right.

LearAv8r-

dogman said:

Well, my wife is a doctor and it makes her cringe to read or hear medical news in the mass media. I'd say it's correspondingly bad in any technical specialty that is reported on by someone not educated in that field. Some of the inaccuracy is the result of the reporter trying to simplify the subject for a general audience, but a lot of it is just plain ignorance, unfortunately.

Nice day, big runway, I wonder how long it's going to take old Miles to start speculating about a prop governor failure?

Nope, I bet he never gets around to it, too hard to explain what the governor does, he better stick to the "airplanes fall out of the sky" angle!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back