• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air France Flight Missing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The above is quoted from an AP article of two hours ago. What interested me was mention of the "automatic" message. I have no idea what the timeline mentioned is based upon (previous position reports, deviation request, etc), but does the A-330 or any 'bus or other modern type have some sort of last gasp data transmission with loss of major systems, something that doesn't require crew input? If so, it seems like a pretty good idea. Or is this an author taking a little journalistic license with the use of the word "automatic"?

Godspeed to all involved.

FOQWA data can be uplinked via a satelite system. The FOQWA system can/is specific to the operator. However I would guess that Air France has tailored their software to automatically transmit all ECAMs. Considering they do more over waters in a month than many carriers combined do in a year.... they likely transmit dozens of parameters a flight hour to the frogs back in Paris.[/QUOTE]

Would lat/long info be sent with this data transmission?

May god be with them.

Last edited:
I have DH on AF many many times from Africa and other less developed countries and have made many friends over the years who fly their A330s. Their crews were always beyond professional and displayed the utmost professional courtesy. I mourn for their loss...A tragic loss for all of us.

This link is a very interesting meteorological analysis of the conditions present in the area where AF447 presumably went down, where the automatic messages where sent from. Very detailed information, this guy really seems to know what he is talking about.

Tim Vasquez weather page on AF447. God speed.

BTW he favors the theory that the airframe failed due to exposure to severe and prolonged severe turbulence.

With the depths of the ocean ranging up to 15000 feet, it may be possible that they may never find enough wreckage or even the black boxes to come to an accurate conclusion

CNN just reported wreckage just found 435 miles off coast of Rio de Janeiro.

Theory: lightning strike at 2200 failing certain electrical systems, including weather radar. They are flying blind in regards to WX detection. Unable to contact anyone due to weak radio transmission. They also have their hands full flying the aircraft in moderate to severe turbulance while trying to fix the electrical problem. They inadvertently end up in a cell with tops to 50K. Severe turbulence causes airframe failure 14 minutes after initial electrical failure at 2214.

Godspeed...

New information provided by sources within Air France suggests, that the ACARS messages of system failures started to arrive at 02:10Z indicating, that the autopilot had disengaged and the fly by wire system had changed to alternate law. Between 02:11Z and 02:13Z a flurry of messages regarding ADIRU and ISIS faults arrived, at 02:13Z PRIM 1 and SEC 1 faults were indicated, at 02:14Z the last message received was an advisory regarding cabin vertical speed. That sequence of messages could not be independently verified."
user_online.gif

How 'bout you people who want to take pot-shots at each other take it to another thread or PMs? Let's keep this thread on the Air France flight, okay?

Wow poppi,

If all that is legit, Bad, Bad, Bad. Not something you want over the middle of the atlantic sea in WX.

GOD speed 447

Latest resources

Back