• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air France Flight Missing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
going to show my ignorance here. can anyone dispell the idea, that a former NTSB offical cited, that if the airbus lost all power they may not have been able to control the aircraft as a result of fly-by-wire technology?

odviously this would be very damning for fly-by-wire technology in general IF it is the case.

He's just a bitter rj butt warmer. These pilots are highly trained. It's Air France for Pete's Sake!

Hope they end up somewhere on land with no cell phone coverage safe and sound. Not looking too good.

Last edited:
going to show my ignorance here. can anyone dispell the idea, that a former NTSB offical cited, that if the airbus lost all power they may not have been able to control the aircraft as a result of fly-by-wire technology?

odviously this would be very damning for fly-by-wire technology in general IF it is the case.

I have always had this fear of fly by wire tech. It was the first thing i thought of when i heard lightning

Obviously an aircraft would never be allowed to carry passengers without some form of redundancy. In the case of a complete electrical failure, the aircraft as a Ram Air Turbine that drives essential electrical and hydraulic systems. If that back up system fails, the Trimmable Horizontal Stab and the Rudder can be controlled manually (cables).

I cannot imagine that Airbus has no electrical backup. What about the RAT (Ram Air Turbine)? Besides, I think severe turbulence is worse than lightning strikes. Let's hope for the best.

MSN news is now saying that officials are confirming a catastrophic crash.

But then again, we all know how the news outlets like to jump the gun so take it for what it's worth.

Always feels like a punch to the gut when you read about things like this.

He's just a bitter rj butt warmer. These pilots are highly trained. It's Air France for Pete's Sake!

Hope they end up somewhere on land with no cell phone coverage safe and sound. Not looking too good.

Yep-

This is all the fault of RJs.... You know-one of tjose crappy "RJs" built but Airbus (which can carry 300 pax) and the substandard pilots-probably from Gulfstream...

If that back up system fails, the Trimmable Horizontal Stab and the Rudder can be controlled manually (cables).

I can't even imagine an aircraft such as that losing every electrical option, and with only those control surfaces, controlling the aircraft would be a really tall order over the Atlantic at night, with turbulence, and T-storms...with no attitude instruments (I assume the backup is also electric). It would be hard/impossible just to determine which direction is up in those conditions.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back