• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air France Flight Missing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gonna have to call BS on this one... It's impossible to have lightning without precip/ice, which is what causes the lightning and will give a return on any functioning radar. I'll buy your radar in the Lear did not show a return (it was malfunctioning, no other way) but to suggest there was "not enough precip to give a return" is preposterous. Sorry, but that's Meteorology 101.
RIP to the crew and passengers of this tragedy.

Funny thing is I have been in the same spot as Lear 70... just over Western Africa. There are dry supercells that don't paint many returns. It was an impressive show, and thank God it only played hel! with the HF. We didn't talk to any one from Dakar until we were a hundred miles or so from Braza, keeping the light show off to the left for a couple three/four hours.

As for the AF flight crews, they are some of the most professional out there, and have always been good to us - except when they make position reports in French when you're both on the same approach in Ivory Coast! They are courteous and quick to help in the air and in the hotel bar...

I know they will be missed and hopefully remembered for giving their all to save their ship and charge in a horrible situation. There but by the grace of God...

"""There but by the grace of God... """"

I always thought this was a dumb, sort of selfish phrase. So - by the "Grace of God" someone ELSE got killed instead of you? That's some nice Grace from God! Tell it to those families of those on the airplane. It was just bad luck, nothing at all to do with God, if such a thing even exists. The idea of "God" is the bigest hoax mankind has ever played on itself, only because mankind has such hubris that he can't bring himself to believe that death is simply what it is and wants to believe there is some fairy tale after-life.

I always thought this was a dumb, sort of selfish phrase. So - by the "Grace of God" someone ELSE got killed instead of you? That's some nice Grace from God! Tell it to those families of those on the airplane. It was just bad luck, nothing at all to do with God, if such a thing even exists. The idea of "God" is the bigest hoax mankind has ever played on itself, only because mankind has such hubris that he can't bring himself to believe that death is simply what it is and wants to believe there is some fairy tale after-life.

I'm "with you" on this one, old man mach.

Wow, you want some salt to rub into that too??

Yup, I used to think the same thing. Suit yourself. You can PM me if you want a true, honest open debate about philosophy, theology and all of the other fun esoteric things in the world. Maybe we'll get a chance to meet and I'll even buy a round and you can explain the hate and vitriol you have over a "fairy tale," I'll explain why my hubris has led me to a logical, scientific and morally satisfying conclusion to the question of origins, meaning, redemption and grace. Until then, fly safe and God Bless.

Surprised no one is talking about the flight control ADIRU seeing as how Quantas had an uncommanded over the limit negative G push over last year and this year the FAA and International Authorities have posted not one, but two, emergency airworthiness directives on the system.

I beg to differ. I got hit by lightning really badly a few years back; in a hold into PHL. No echos on radar, at 14,000, night, SAT around 0C. Cloud wasn't taller than 17,000 and lightning damaged the COM2 antenna pretty good.

Well, there was precip around somewhere, mebbe not on your route but it was there. You may not have seen it, but it was there somewhere, no other way. But I'm not here to hi-jack this thread to argue with you and Mister Lear about basic meteorology.

I'm "with you" on this one, old man mach.

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried." G.K. Chesterton

Amish, you still haven't taken me up on that offer... Come on, I'm buying...

Latest resources

Back