• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air France Flight Missing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How about this scenario. Fire in the main cabin. Emergency procedures call for dumping cabin (starve the fire). Fire gets to critical components causing electrical failures. Ultimate loss of control. Kinda like Swissair years ago (minus the depress). Just a theory based on what we know. Still hoping they find some rafts with people in them.

From my experience in maintenance ADG's/RAT's are about 50/50 chance of working. It is a system that is never used unless being tested by MX. I've dropped them on mx check flights and some work some don't. I would hate to depend on that thing over the water. God-Bless AF.

I'm sorry, I'm a little slow. Can you explain why I should respect someone who calls me a piece of ********************?

Much obliged.
I wasn't saying to respect the person calling you names.

I was saying respect the (likely) dead and their families by not flipping glib GFT comments into the thread; it's disrespectful and as professional pilots, we should be better than that.

Despite what we may personally feel (and I agree with you about the GIA issue), this is neither the place nor the time.

God bless them and their families. I wonder why nobody is mentioning terrorism as a possibility? A bomb would definitely cause a rapid decompression and electrical failure and would seem to explain lack of contact.

I used to MTC check flights all of the time on the RJ's. The RAT's are a lot more fickle on those jets than they are on these big jets.
Same concept, but a lot bigger.

The plane reported a "electrical failure and loss of cabin pressure." Wonder if it's a plastic tail problem...that would explain cabin pressure loss but not an electrical... furthermore, if the plane had an electrical failure, how did it report? ACARS doesn't seem like a essential system.
I was thinking more like in-flight break-up of the aircraft due to the severe turbulence.

In-flight break-up would account for both severe electrical malfunction problem and pressurization loss. If I remember correctly, those burst transmitters are designed to put quite a bit of data into a 1/4 to 1/2 of a second transmission. One of the 'bus maintenance guys was out drinking with us a few years ago and it came up...

God bless their families... :(

Nice response from someone who considers themselves a " boy " .... and acts like one too .

Typical response from that crowd ( 1-3 year regional FO / early mid 20s -- and is confusing luck with skill ) ... not suprising.

Heyflyboyike, have you high fived your " bros " in F Concourse in ORD today too? Very mature behavior.....

Have some respect for the dead, and others in your profession.... and then try yourself.

I'm 34. And I wasn't at ORD today.

Hey all, this is my go to board when I hear of any kind of accident. It's good to see everyone pull together and offer their condolences and theories of what might have happened.

I thought I saw an earlier post where it said that the plane flew on for a few hours after the initial electrical failure alert came in, but I can't find it. Anyone see that? If so, loss of cabin pressure and no communication could be a repeat of the Payne Stuart accident in the states. Just a theory from a layperson. Curious to know what you all think is going on.

My prayers are with the families. Godspeed all.

To those of you who don't have family members who fly everyday, don't bother to put your two cents in on the accident threads if you are going to attempt to make any kind of jokes! There is nothing funny about death.

Oh yeah, and -- Grow up!

From my experience in maintenance ADG's/RAT's are about 50/50 chance of working. It is a system that is never used unless being tested by MX. I've dropped them on mx check flights and some work some don't. I would hate to depend on that thing over the water. God-Bless AF.

I've never heard of a rat not deploying on a 320. I've never flown a 330 so I can't comment on it, but you would think it is just as reliable if not more than the 320.

Latest resources

Back