• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Force to UAL New Hire

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Seriously, DAAA320. ... You are a ******************************. Oh my god ! A pitching deck !!! It's always into the wind , isn't it!!! In the real world it's crosswinds and you have no idea how to handle it, do you?. And you have the most up to date tech to back you up, even with this "pitching deck" that is NOT real life in real life.

The military TOLD you that you are the best, brightest, boldest, baddest, motherforking pilots on the planets. And you are (were)!!!!! NOW GET OVER IT!!! BECAUSE You ARE NOT ANYMORE!!Except that you have been trained for one and only one "mission " You are trained just as far as the grunt on the ground that you refer to as "cannon fodder".

You (ex military) are the joke. The Navy pilot hits the numbers regardless of the g load to the passengers. The Air Force pilot makes a greaser ignoring the runway length. The civilian pilot makes a choice depending on the conditions.

Out fly you ? Any of the Civilian kids I have ever flown with over you military pukes.

Your post made me laugh.

Did the AF or Navy turn you down? Tell the truth. Both maybe?

When I go to the sim, I know I am gonna fly better than the other guy, and the instructor.

Out fly you ? Any of the Civilian kids I have ever flown with over you military pukes.
Where is the my dad can beat up your dad? As for military training, it is awfully good, it is free, you don't pass stage checks you are done, and you get do neat stuff that civilian pilots don't get to do very early in their career. Like landing solo on a boat with 125 hours total time. The militarty takes risks in developing pilots that civilian organizations just could not accept, like a 300 hours pilots doing NVG refueling at night, and making Aricraft Commander at 900 hours total time in a transport category jet. If I made through the training just about anyone could who really likes to fly and has certain level of skill. Not everyone is cut out for the military life style, nor qualified to enter military flight training. As fro military flying it was the most fantastic adventure of my life and I have no regrets at all about following that path.

As a guy who is involved in hiring at my place over the last 16 years, we have hired 47 military pilots, with one training failure. During the same time we have hired 378 civilian pilots with 26 training failures. Now I will admit that JUS does not attract the same talent as UAL, but I can see why hiring managers look at lower time military pilots, because all know that flight time total does not necessarily mean that much.

If for one second you think you can out fly a Naval Aviator (% rise), you need to think again bitch. Do military guys know your CBA and 117 .... NOPE not at all. That will be OJT.

I task you to go out and land on a pitching deck with no horizon. Oh, u cannot.

Seriously wave, go fu(k yourself.

You guys are too much. Like landing on a carrier has anything to do with airline flying.

This thread absolutely boggles my mind that with the supposed pilot shortage that my phone isn't ringing. But then after reading this, I'm not entirely sure I want it to.

Some of the comments are even more entertaining than the article.

Why do civilian pilots have to learn the "nuances" at a regional, while unqualified mil pilots get to learn it at the end goal major, building seniority and longevity at the good job? Eh sig?

I'm not Sig, but the answer seems kind of obvious - both the Military and the Regionals provide the qualifications and experience required to be hired at a Major.

- The Regionals would take civilian pilots barely out of training. They'd then gain the experience that the Major requires to be hired.

- The Military takes a pilot, trains them and then provides the experience that the Major requires to be hired.

Unless you're concerned that military pilots aren't trainable as airline pilots ? Both teams seem to have an equal number of tools. Perhaps SWA hires a particular type of military pilot ...... a matter of pseudo inbreeding perhaps ?

You guys have it all wrong.....

THE reason SW (in particular) prefer to hire mostly military pilots has nothing to do with flying ability. It's because many of them question or even hate the idea of a "union", and will vote for whatever the company wants, even if it's to the detriment of labor. They are a known quantity, IE: "SIR,YES SIR", loyal to "The Borg" types, and management loves them. This worked fine in the pre GK, "we're all in this together" days, but I'm afraid that they're gonna get a lesson in Labor 101 that they won't soon forget, but then it'll be too late.

It's even better when these guys get elected to "union" positions (the "need to lead" is strong in many of them), and they have no clue that they AREN'T (or shouldn't be) an arm of management. The list of former SWApA folks now working for the G.O. is long and distinguished.

I don't even know where to begin on this one.

Let's start with the "been around the block" comment. Say you're a brand new captain, first month after upgrading. You're heading to LGA, EWR, DCA, BOS (or fill in the busy airport of your choice). The weather sucks, you get to the "jet" and have an equally new FO. Would you rather have a guy/girl who just finished new hire IOE after flying a desk for 3 or the last 5 years, or a regional guy/girl who's been to these airports (or was maybe even based there) for the last 10 years? Tell me again who's "been around the block"?

As far as the "wanting the job to last" comment. Really? Give me a break.
You mistook my comment, it had nothing to do about flying, it has to do with been around the block of life and don't care to see a union screw up the job. Hence, companies love the retired military, less drama.

Latest resources

Back