• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age limitation for 91K

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am now an older pilot one year away from 60 and I am as alert as I ever was.

Sorry, Sparse. I'll turn 50 in a couple months and I just finished my 5th marathon a couple weeks ago in 3:47 flat, but there is no way I am as alert as I was in my 20s or 30s.

Some people are not fit to fly at 40 and others can do it succesfully at 70 so why should it be age determined? I was a younger pilot once and thought age 60 was enough. I am now an older pilot one year away from 60 and I am as alert as I ever was. There has to be a better way than age itself.

Agreed. I've flown with guys in their sixties who do just fine. Not coincidentally, they're ususally the guys who still exercise regularly and eat sensibly and don't polish off three or four beers every night in the lounge at the hotel and who take responsibility for their own health. The guys who suck are usually the ones lugging around the big beer guts, who jones for a cigarette after two hours in the seat and who can't keep it together when the unexpected comes along.

You'd think the FAA could develop some kind of cognition/reflex screening that tests a person's ability to multitask and concentrate, etc. Either that, or they need to significantly up the requirements for holding a first class.

Agreed. I've flown with guys in their sixties who do just fine. Not coincidentally, they're ususally the guys who still exercise regularly and eat sensibly and don't polish off three or four beers every night in the lounge at the hotel and who take responsibility for their own health. The guys who suck are usually the ones lugging around the big beer guts, who jones for a cigarette after two hours in the seat and who can't keep it together when the unexpected comes along.

You'd think the FAA could develop some kind of cognition/reflex screening that tests a person's ability to multitask and concentrate, etc. Either that, or they need to significantly up the requirements for holding a first class.

They do. It's called a ramp check and one's ability to hide all the sh1t wrong with the plane and keep your poker face is the greatest test of all..

I thought that was what a .293b and .297 was all about.

<<<< The nice thing about Alzheimers is you meet new friends every day.>>>

..... & you can wrap your own Christmas presents!!

You can spot the "more mature" pilots (like me) - you have to jot down notes on the Blackberry to help you remember....... but you can't find the Blackberry for at least 10 mins! :p

Young guys need the faster reaction time to make up for all the jams they get themselves into because of their dearth of experience. :)

...or intervene after Captain Corpse has thoroughly jacked up the box yet up again.:D

I don' t know how to determine where the limit should be, but I do know that the majority of the guys I fly with over 65 need to be polishing lounge chairs with their backsides somewhere.

I'm 33 years old. Personally, I find a mandatory retirement age silly. If the the pilot is competent, let the pilot fly.

I agree with you, but the one problem with that is that there are pilots out there (of various ages for that matter) that should have hung it up years ago.

Maybe instead of an age requirement, the FAA should look into going away from the "canned" checkrides at FSI. I can now do the LOC 27 Circle 36R at MEM with both engines shutdown, eyes closed, with one wing tied behind my back.

I have 23 yrs before I reach the age of 65,
But If I'm 65 and can still pass a medical and I still have the ability to fly.
I will be fishing, screw the flying as a job "Enjoy Life"

Latest resources

Back