• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age limitation for 91K

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't think you realize, what you're joking about here is tantamount to race, color, gender discrimination.
You're essentially doing the same thing as posting racial jokes.
But hey, if you want, there's always a new person wanting their 15 minutes of fame.

Its a line from Dumber & Dumber. Funny movie.

Semore, thank you for your generousity! If I was in your shoes, I'd be doing the same. I give to my church, too, and I'm sure people benefit from that whom I don't agree with on every topic yet I continue to give. I understand how seniority works, but you know there are guys out here working who are gettin' really old and its time for them to hang it up. They either can't load bags, or worse yet can't program the FMS and have trouble keeping it together cognitively. I know, I've seen it. This is not to say that every senior pilot is full of "senior moments', but some don't know when its time to quit.
My furlough isn't anyone's fault except for the people who are in charge of the economy, and of course former execs who ran the company with reckless inefficiency.
Cognitive testing would be cool if they could agree on how to administer it. That's why age works the best. Its 55 for ATC, 65 for airline pilots and we need it on the 135/91k side too. Many older guys can do the job but decline is insidious.

Last edited:
Semore, thank you for your generousity! If I was in your shoes, I'd be doing the same

Well Jack, I don't know if I can afford to now? What with a new law coming out.

You will all be in the old guys shoes some day, whether you are in aviation or not.

As I have said before, you are trying to make rules that will ultimately screw you!

But have at! I know you already know everything.

This isn't aimed at you Jack, but I guess it applies to you as well.

I gotta go and cash in 63 days of vacation rather then take it, I have to save for retirement. If 5 other senior old guys do that, it will put another junior pilot on the street.

Nothing personal.

I hope this is my last plea to you all to think about what you are trying to accomplish.

(For the record, I will not change my donation nor payroll deduction. Nor will I cash in my vacation, just making the point of what if I was as obtuse as some of the younger guys I have seen post on this thead?)

Good luck to you Jack, when and if you return, just know that you will come back with acumulated seniority and good benefits. The senior guys will do everything they can to prevent any erosion of any kind from what they fought to make a great job.

Semore

Last edited:
They don't have to die...just get the hell out of a "for hire" cockpit like they knew would be the case when they started this racket. To the CMEI and ATP...plan, it's gonna come. Get ready. Don't be over 60 in a freaking plane schlepping bags. If you are...get out. Times are tough and every paycheck you collect to offset a mismanaged retirement is a paycheck some other guy needs to pay the mortgage.

That said, if any of you know anyone interested in starting flying lessons to "pursue the dream" either tell 'em to stop now or hit them in the head with a hammer.

Very generous of you to allow them to continue to live if they vacate your rightful seat in the cockpit. And, I agree the old guys have no need for a paycheck and should move aside for someone with a mortgage payment. In fact, I agree so much that I'd like to extend the concept beyond the geezers and apply a "need test" to pilots of all ages. That way only those folks with a mortgage payment will be allowed to work and draw a paycheck. There's way too many rich guys taking away paychecks from you and your friends.

Well Glass, you said it very well

"Times are tough and every paycheck you collect to offset a mismanaged retirement is a paycheck some other guy needs to pay the mortgage".

Roger that, and I have kids that are getting screwed over by some 40 or 50 year old that won't retire, or didn't save properly from their 40 or 50K per year job....The Bastards!

So, I'm 53, What is your advice for me?

Speak my muse....my oracle..

What you have me do?

How old is this guy that needs to pay his mortgage as opposed to how old I was when I got my first house?

I listen my master, speak! I will cast all my savings into your recommendations!

I am not worthy......Speak my lord....Save me!!!!!

Semore, for now, I think we are going to have to agree to disagree. FWIW, the decision to change the law is not only WAY above my pay grade, but I have not written a letter or email to anyone about it, and have no intention of doing so. Simply debating it here. BTW, your only 53? ...you still have a lot of good years left in you! Guys your age are some of the sharpest pilots I've flown with. My issue is with guys who are in their late 60's and older. I have lots more to say on this, but its like fighting with the wife...I can tell I'm not gonna change your mind on this and that's cool with me.

Last edited:
Settle down out there. Post #51 was a weak attempt to poke fun at the argument that guys need to get out of the way. Post #57 is how I really feel.

Reading back it's vague...my bad.

In my defense, I was drinking during my first post (#51) and the subtleties of sarcasm may have been twisted a tad. The fact that I was drinking can be proved because I always (mostly) post my self disclosed EBAC (Estimated Blood Alcohol Content) at the end of posts where I may have imbibed i bit too much.

I think all should adopt the practice of disclosing their own EBAC. It would add a layer of believability to the forum.

Anyway, point is, fly til you want to stop or the AME yanks your med.

Last edited:
Thanks boys

I have always respected you post Glass.

Not always agreed, but respected.

Jack;

"Semore, for now, I think we are going to have to agree to disagree".

Well, I can't disagree with that.

Call me back when you can agree.

BTW, I still need to know what I need to do to to retire at 60 (was it) or 65 (was it)?

Because by the time you get where I am, it may be 70...or 75????

As you said, I'm only 53.

I had it by the balls, invested heavily in blue chips like;

AOL, Sun Micro, and Oracle in the late 90's.

I'm in fat city! Got it made! Right?

Seriously, guide me, tell me how to get out of your way??????

Riiiiiight....I'll get with you when I come to YOUR way of thinking. You are obviously not interested in any view but your own.

Read my posts again and you'll see that my view, while not the same as yours, does not apply to guys your age.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back