• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 and the "F" word.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The problem with the "get out of my seat crowd" is they never learned respect for anyone but themselves. They would kick their own grandmother out of her house just to have a place to live. It was Granny's turn to leave since she had lived too long, so kick her into the street.

That's why bad Karma is striking back.

You are correct. We do have self-respect. A lesson we learned by witnessing your lack of it.

You don't want us to have the Exact same opportunity you did. You're taking from us so you can have more. You can spin it any way you like, it won't change the fact.
If there is Karma, it will manifest itself in a heart attack at work. Fly till you die......management's wet dream.

Here's your spokesman....King of the dirtbags.

Last edited:
I actually don't have a problem with changing the age rule-
I DO have a problem w/ HOW it was done.

Bottom line is that airlines hired directly bc of attrition that immediately stopped- leading to immediate furloughs at almost every airline.

Everyone ought to have a problem with that.

Not saying it was not a factor but parking 94 737's and 6 747's by managment did more to put guys on the street than age 65. It happend deal with it. I guarentee most will enjoy the top end when they get there. They lost pensions, and I will spend this decade furloughed....Guess we have have time to make up. Had age 65 happened 10 years earlier when everyone was hiring 1000 pilots a year it would not have been noticed. It just happend while capacity was being reduced and oil going through the roof. Good thing I have 34 years left to recover!

Chairman

The numbers add up, regardless of parking aircraft, the number supposed to have retired would have been more than the number furloughed. It has *()(ed all of us. When I started I had 35yrs that number keeps getting smaller with each furlough regardless with 65.

The most critical element that all you of are disregarding about retirement is NOT number of pilots to be retired but CAPACITY to be replaced. This industry is in a continuing CAPACITY decrease and regardless of the number of pilots retiring in coming years, the amount of positions being replaced are not 100-100. I am most willing to wager the notion of mass retirement is a a falacy and we should all be assured the next 15 yrs will resemble the industry of the 80's. I would not expect any major movement for at least the next ten years.

Not saying it was not a factor but parking 94 737's and 6 747's by managment did more to put guys on the street than age 65. It happend deal with it. I guarentee most will enjoy the top end when they get there. They lost pensions, and I will spend this decade furloughed....Guess we have have time to make up. Had age 65 happened 10 years earlier when everyone was hiring 1000 pilots a year it would not have been noticed. It just happend while capacity was being reduced and oil going through the roof. Good thing I have 34 years left to recover!

Chairman

The Chairman gets it.

And oh, by the way...we're in the biggest recession since the Great Depression.

Personally, I retired at age-60 and I'm quite happy I did so. My health is good and I'm enjoying my life away from the issues and stress of airline work. Therefore, I would think those who were (and still are) part of the "get out of my seat crowd" have no issues with pilots such as me who retired "early." That fact notwithstanding, every pilot should have the right to work until they feel they should retire. In the years before the change in the rule, hundreds and hundreds of pilots in the 11th hour of their careers found themselves to be the victim of drastic changes in the long promised and legally contracted pensions. Some of these people lost everything through no fault of their own. These people were victims of the same problems that affect the younger pilots now. Yes, I'd like to see more of the public flying so the industry can hire more pilots. Yes, cut-throat Internet pricing is a problem that killing profits and causing drastic cost saving methods. Yes, I'd like to see the end of outsourcing and the many other problems that have ruined airline careers; but, forcing the senior pilots out at the top when they need to work just so the younger pilots can get on the bottom was not the way to improve the industry. The fact is that the industry is better off with a higher retirement age for pilots than a lower one.

I must ask this: Would the industry be better off with a retirement age of age-55, or how about age-50 or age-45? What is the ideal age for mandatory age?

Personally I would think the longer a person has the option of working, that's the best for everyone. While you may think you want to "retire" at age-55 or 60, and that is currently everyone's option, that fact is that when a person gets to that age they may NEED TO WORK longer for many reasons, primarily financial but also for other personal reasons too.

Last edited:
The Chairman, the Prussian, Undauntedflyer gets it (and others).
Most of the F/O's I know are very pragmatic and reasonable and seem to be taking the whole age 60 rule in stride. My guess is the ones who can't get it in perspective are among the weaker F/O's who constantly complain about everything and never look at themselves as a source to make things better.
This career will do nothing but through curveballs at you, some good and some not good. Some people deal with adversity better than others, but the people that whine and cry the most have the most problems.

Last edited:
Or maybe they are crying because they are out on the street worried about how to pay bills and feed their kids.

What an Ass you must be.

Age 65 only helped a small minority of pilots and you know it. It's still an age cutoff, no different than 60. All it does is FORCE the younger to work longer. You talk about adversity and character? Please, this industry is lost partly because of the absolute lack of character that guys like you and the others you mentioned have.

Age 65 only helped a small minority of pilots and you know it. It's still an age cutoff, no different than 60. All it does is FORCE the younger to work longer. You talk about adversity and character? Please, this industry is lost partly because of the absolute lack of character that guys like you and the others you mentioned have.

OK. So how about you answering the question I've asked and please state your reasons. Here is the question, again:

I must ask this: Would the industry be better off with a retirement age of age-55, or how about age-50 or age-45? What is the ideal age for mandatory age?

And if you will, please say what is the problem with this line of thinking as I stated in my prior post.

Personally I would think the longer a person has the option of working, that's the best for everyone. While you may think you want to "retire" at age-55 or 60, and that is currently everyone's option, that fact is that when a person gets to that age they may NEED TO WORK longer for many reasons, primarily financial but also for other personal reasons too.

Self Serving, Get Out Of My Seat Crowd?.......I have to laugh at this. I'd say 99% of those on the Master Scab List, you know the ones who crossed pickets lines at UAL, CAL, etc. are also 55 and up now and reaping the benefits of age 65. The "get out of my seat crowd" has done nothing but wait for our opportunity to move up through attrition just like everyone else. Many of us chose our respective carriers based on projected retirements at age 60. There are multiple factors that have stalled our careers and age 65 is one of them. As pilots we have no control over the economy, oil, etc. Some may even argue we had no control over the age change but we certainly had some jump on the support band wagon all for their own self serving needs. So you over 60 folks can point at us "whipper-snappers" and we'll point right back at you "gummers." Meanwhile airline managements are stroking each other over the un-rest amongst the pilots. Fact is we are all selfish so lets just call a spade a spade and move on, no group is better than the other as we all have our faults.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back