• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 and the "F" word.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For those of you whining about the Age 65 Rule, just make sure that you retire at the age of 60, regardless of the rules. We wouldn't want you to work an additional 5 years while making additional money in the seat that your seniority and career have allowed you to. Those extra 5 years may mean extra retirement savings for you and your bride to enjoy, or extra money in the pockets of your kids when you're gone. However, please make sure that you worry more about some 25 year old kid who you don't know from Adam and was just furloughed as opposed to your own family and well being.

I would bet that most of the kids getting furloughed (many for the 2nd time) are far from 25 more like 35-45 with familys to try and support. I am tired of hearing I lost my pension I must work but then hear them talk about their second home and boats, motorcycles, etc. Granted some of the dumb ones that are poor financial planers need to work but the majority of the 60+ crowd are just greedy and padding their accounts at the expense of the junior. We will never see the type of money these guys made even with an additional 5 yrs. The real kick to the nuts is once furloughed today there are hardly any jobs to find in any field let alone aviation.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that life ain't fair, but there's no finer example of the self-serving "eat your young" nature of this industry than the gray-hairs who got their cake (age 60 retirements above them) and then ate it too (another 5 years at the top).

Everybody has good and bad luck. Some of the old guys got a break and some of the young guys got hosed. That's all there is to it. Get over it. Maybe your day will come some day.

I'm still waiting for mine.

I got hosed but maybe I'll strike it rich when my ship comes on.

Ok have to ask this one speaking of greed. Are the 300 plus over the age of 60 also allowed to fly and pull their pension money at the same time like they are doing at Us Airways while we have pilots on furlough? Our guys do and they will let you know when you fly with them.

And don't forget about the Age 62+ Captains = PBGC + SS + MIL RET and Widebody Captain pay rates.

Just about being at the right time and the right place.

Oh give me a break! Pilots are w*************************, this is a fact of all generations so don't lie to yourself by saying that your particular interest in this is one of public safety and the science of aging, if the airlines where hiring 80 pilots a month a la pre 9/11 this issue wouldn't even be discussed, this issue is about personal progression as all pilots just think about themselves, if you want a better example that pilots just think about themselves I provide ALPA's leadership as an example.

Kinda ironic coming from a guy whose job was created to get around the Japanese pilots union. (Dont bother, I had the briefing).

I must ask this again because no one will answer. How about an answer from the "Get out of my seat crowd."

I must ask this: Would the industry be better off with a retirement age of age-55, or how about age-50 or age-45? What is the ideal age for mandatory age?

I must ask this again because no one will answer. How about an answer from the "Get out of my seat crowd."

I must ask this: Would the industry be better off with a retirement age of age-55, or how about age-50 or age-45? What is the ideal age for mandatory age?

That's cause nobody cares about what you think grandpa.

Go get someone to change your diaper.LOL

The real bottom line to this whole thing is how Prater and ALPA national sold its members out. The majority (means 50%+1) did not want the rule change. Yes it probably would of happened, but it could of been delayed for years or even better, phased in. Instead that POS prater sold his salary paying members out!

How about 56 like the controllers. Seems retarded to me that people are allowed to fly the planes past 56 but somebody sitting in a dim lit room looking at a screen needs to retire at 56. No disrespect to controllers but if they have a cardiac all that needs to be done is a 911 call.

Kinda ironic coming from a guy whose job was created to get around the Japanese pilots union. (Dont bother, I had the briefing).

This post by Mr. B is the perfect example as to the hypocrisy of this thread, what he didn't say is that a little over two years ago he was actively pursuing this contract, I personally gave him infomation about this job in the open forum and in PM's and now he is pointing fingers, the only reason that he is not here enjoying the job created to bypass the" Japanese pilots union" as he says is because ANA rejected his application.

By the way Mr. "B" I want to be the first to congratulate you on your command there at UAL, I know it is a little premature but hey, 12 years pass by very quickly when you are working in such a great working environment as UAL. Sorry ANA took a pass at you "B" we are having a great time, wish you could be here

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back