Age 65 and the "F" word.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Undaunted,

Why does the age need to change at all? If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'm pretty sure the folks occupying airliner flight decks today were hired under the age 60 rule. That is why many of us got started as early as possible to maximize our gains knowing full well that the clock was running. Sure the argument can made that now we get an additional 5 years but I would have preferred that 5 years and then some on a boat somewhere with an umbrella drink of sorts and not in the pointy end of an airliner taking in 98 times the UV that I would on said boat. Just my opinion though.

" Most of the F/O's I know are very pragmatic and reasonable and seem to be taking the whole age 60 rule in stride."

I'm sure that's how I would come across also....while sitting in the right seat at the beginning of a 3-4 day with an old guy sitting next to me.

:)

YKW

Certainly makes the trip a lot easier, I just ain't having cold beer with guy!

It shouldn't have changed to begin with, there's your answer. They way it was implemented only helped a minority. It was devastating to the rest of us.

For those of you whining about the Age 65 Rule, just make sure that you retire at the age of 60, regardless of the rules. We wouldn't want you to work an additional 5 years while making additional money in the seat that your seniority and career have allowed you to. Those extra 5 years may mean extra retirement savings for you and your bride to enjoy, or extra money in the pockets of your kids when you're gone. However, please make sure that you worry more about some 25 year old kid who you don't know from Adam and was just furloughed as opposed to your own family and well being.

This may have already been addressed here, but after reading only the first 6 or 7 posts, it had to be said.

You are missing the point. My extra 5 years of work because of 65 are going to be spent on furlough, not enjoying 5 years of left seat time like the guys right now.

...and to think Boomers claim Generation Y is the "me generation"...

Oh give me a break! Pilots are w*************************, this is a fact of all generations so don't lie to yourself by saying that your particular interest in this is one of public safety and the science of aging, if the airlines where hiring 80 pilots a month a la pre 9/11 this issue wouldn't even be discussed, this issue is about personal progression as all pilots just think about themselves, if you want a better example that pilots just think about themselves I provide ALPA's leadership as an example.

For those of you whining about the Age 65 Rule, just make sure that you retire at the age of 60, regardless of the rules. We wouldn't want you to work an additional 5 years while making additional money in the seat that your seniority and career have allowed you to. Those extra 5 years may mean extra retirement savings for you and your bride to enjoy, or extra money in the pockets of your kids when you're gone. However, please make sure that you worry more about some 25 year old kid who you don't know from Adam and was just furloughed as opposed to your own family and well being.

What you're missing is after having one's career progression stymied for 5 years (due to retirements all but ceasing) because Farves changed the rules of the game after enjoying DECADES of career progression from Age 60 retirements above them, you'll HAVE to work those additional 5 years and you STILL won't make up financially for that lost time due to TVM.

Dumb Pilot said:
Oh give me a break! Pilots are w*************************, this is a fact of all generations so don't lie to yourself by saying that your particular interest in this is one of public safety and the science of aging

I never once said that.

this issue is about personal progression as all pilots just think about themselves

Yes, it is - its about MONEY.

Beyond such simplistic terms, its about a group of pilots who enjoyed the career & seniority progression afforded by age 60 retirements above them for their entire career who, facing their own retirement at age 60, started claiming discrimination and were successful in getting this rule changed under the ruse of "Fair Treatment for Experienced Pilots".

Fair treatment my ass.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that life ain't fair, but there's no finer example of the self-serving "eat your young" nature of this industry than the gray-hairs who got their cake (age 60 retirements above them) and then ate it too (another 5 years at the top).

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back