• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 and the "F" word.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thank goodness it's only the effects of age 65 that we're having to deal with. Can you imagine if this had combined with a recession or something???

Imagine this coming from what appears to be a Southwest Captain. Congrats on your extra 10 years of captain pay.

but you can't blame furloughs on pilots, no matter what their position on the list. Furloughs are furloughs... 65 certainly has an impact of where the furlough starts on the list, but it didn't cause furloughs. Its simple math, but for 65 there would be more guys below me to absorb the negative impacts of the furlough... and I being a good pilot with deep ALPA roots:D, would love to have more guys lower than me on the ladder. :blush:

How do you explain all the great things scabs have done for the industry then? Your argument is idiotic.

All you say is true and I would much prefer to lay the blame squarely in the lap of the greedy robber barons.

However, had the 65ers moved as had their predecessors before them, there would be no furloughs. Period.

I'm 45 and I stand squarely with a pilots right to not be discriminated against due to their age. It should never have been a rule to begin with. The change in the rule just happened at a bad time. Speaking of greed and sense of entitlement. Your tone says it all.

I'm 45 and I stand squarely with a pilots right to not be discriminated against due to their age. It should never have been a rule to begin with. The change in the rule just happened at a bad time. Speaking of greed and sense of entitlement. Your tone says it all.
Yawn.
Pilots are still discriminated against due to their age. That hasn't changed. You get to claim no high ground there.

Save the "You're the greedy one for wanting the exact same deal I got." It's just lame.
Greed is wanting MORE than the other guy got, not the EXACT SAME.
Greed is making sure the other guy won't get what you got by taking it from him.
Be sure to call up some furloughed guys and tell them how greedy they are.

Seeing how you're 45, do you also conveniently stand squarely on the Left Seat side of the line?

Last edited:

Discriminated?!?! Gimme a break man. No one mentioned the word until pensions disappeared and the the age 65 deal started getting traction. EVERYBODY knew the gig was up when 60 came knocking! Now all of a sudden it's discriminatory?

BTW did you know ATC folks are out at 56? Ever wonder why the Govmit doesn't care about that? It's all about the PBGC being burdened by the large number of retired airline pilots they'll have to pay...

Last edited:
Thank goodness it's only the effects of age 65 that we're having to deal with. Can you imagine if this had combined with a recession or something???

You aren't in the "we" part of the word "we're". You are a "you" guy. This all worked out well for you so you're cool with it.

The fact that furlough numbers so closely match the number staying past 60 (at almost every airline with furloughs) proves that the profession was more resilient than we might have all guessed. There have been more recessions that have not produced furloughs through the years. A healthy commitment to seniority principle and fraternal brotherhood is what made it work then. We see now, absent those past traits at the forefront, the profession suffers.

I believe @ AA there are less then 100 pilots under 40 yrs old and over 300 plus over 60. Not to mention the 100 will probably furlough Agian. Unf2cking believable greed in our own ranks....

I'm confused. Are they geezers or gummers? Gummers is a new term to me.

Selfish bastards all.

I see that it is now selfish if you utilize a change in the rules to your benefit. I suppose that you turn down deductions on your income tax because to not pay the maximum taxes every year would be selfish of you. After all, the govement is short on cash right now. How dare you be so selfish! Shame, shame shame on you.
I better stop now my ensure is getting cold. I hate that it takes me 20 minutes to eat a jelly sandwich with having to gum it and all.

I believe @ AA there are less then 100 pilots under 40 yrs old and over 300 plus over 60. Not to mention the 100 will probably furlough Agian. Unf2cking believable greed in our own ranks....

Ok have to ask this one speaking of greed. Are the 300 plus over the age of 60 also allowed to fly and pull their pension money at the same time like they are doing at Us Airways while we have pilots on furlough? Our guys do and they will let you know when you fly with them.

I don't think you get it. Age 60 is discrinination, but age 65 is not???? You seem ok with this. Care to explain?

Latest resources

Back