• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AAI Pilots Expectations for January 2015

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Then discuss your issue and stop busting on those who make lighthearted comments.

fletch

Then discuss your issue and stop busting on those who make lighthearted comments.
I guess you have a short attention span so I'll post it again.

What I'm interested in is how y'all (transitioned pilots) envision you'll be exercising the full potential of your seniority come 2015.

I'm seriously not trying to start another swapa/alpa war, there's enough of those on here. I just want to know where y'all envision the layout of the Captain/FO list is going to be post 2015.

Pretty important stuff for many on our MSL.
......which is why I wanted to get info from the AAI side to see what their MEC is telling them.
I hear you. Are you at SWA? The reason I ask is because the Vacancies are always system wide. The fly in the ointment now is that after 2015 there will be several pilots who have not been able to exercise the full potential of their system wide seniority.

Consider a zero sum game in vacancies but the usual plus captains/fos here and minus captains/fos there. Where is the language that now prevents a former airtran guy whose been held back until now from moving into that spot in that base where they are increasing captains?

The vacancy bids have always looked at global seniority and they will now as well.

AAI guys? What say y'all?
My understanding is that Vacancy looks at the entire pilot groups Vacancy choices and then awards you the position your seniority can hold.

We are operating in a different environment now in the sense that there are pilots being assigned an artificial seniority as a F.O. the whole point behind the 2015 fence.

You're saying that these pilots will still be held back from exercising their Master Seniority even after 2015?

I don't think so. That's not the way our Vacancy system works.

7. All new vacancies put up for bid as well as all secondary vacancies left open by successful bidders will be available to all pilots in the system. No pilot will be involuntarily displaced from a domicile, equipment or crew position except as provided herein.
a. In the event that a reduction in crews occurs in a domicile, this reduction will be posted as an equipment and domicile bid, and the Master Bids on file at the time of closing will govern.
b. If an insufficient number of pilots have bid to leave the base, the most junior pilots will be displaced. Pilots so displaced may displace pilots in other domiciles where no vacancy exists based on their system seniority, thereby causing a secondary displacement.
I was hoping for more input from the AAI side......
So far, from the AAI side, it's only been about beaches and speedos.

I don't know what I'll do come jan 2015, I don't want to commute to oak. I doubt I'll RE-UPGRADE if my only option is OAK OR LAS. As I understand it, we are all the same as of jan 2015 global seniority rules and the SWAPA contract applies to every pilot.
I'm going to put my green speedo on and head for the beach

The AirTran folks don't have to spend a required "adjustment" time in the right seat before becomming Captain after 2014? That seems messed up. Kind of like "Street Captains" at a very "different" airline.

Last edited:
The AirTran folks don't have to spend a required "adjustment" time in the right seat before becomming Captain after 2014? That seems messed up. Kind of like "Street Captains" at a very "different" airline.

Statements like this reveal an awful lot about the experience level of the person making them, instead of their intended target. :erm:

Last edited:
I guess you have a short attention span so I'll post it again.

So far, from the AAI side, it's only been about beaches and speedos.

We don't know what we are going to do because we don't have a clue what bases will be available, when we are transitioning, if we will win the DFR or anything else beyond our next few trips. Everything is changing and will change many more times. So to answer your question we really don't know.

I can't see how telling our expectations on a message board is going to help anything? All it will do is invite a lot of negative comments from the peanut gallery. 27 driver is correct, most of us have accepted that anything can happen at anytime. Just keep coming to work until told otherwise. It sounds like the real question is what do SWA pilots want after 2015? Be junior Captains or ride out the right seat a longer? Something tells me the number of pilots who will bypass upgrade for QOL will be similar for all integrated pilots.

I think the rules are spelled out and I'm surprised you guys aren't more optimistic about the future. I guess that's why I'm a little confused about the lack of desire to focus on the future instead of the past.

I see 2015 as a watershed year for former AAI pilots and DFR has nothing to do with it.

However, maybe I gave most of you more credit than you deserve. PCL's, Ty Webb's and Lear 70's lack of interest certainly belies that thinking.

Latest resources

Back