• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
beytzim stated:

"Pay for the regionals will be increase tremendously."

I doubt that is going to happen to the extent you think it is......there will ALWAYS be pilots willing to work for 18k a year simply for the privelage (sp?) of having a flying job, and to build time to make it to their "dream" job, whatever that may be. Regional managements will ALWAYS find low-time pilots willing to work for peanuts.....where is their incentive to increase pay??

Do I think it should increase tremendously?? Having flown for a regional myself, of course I do.

I can't believe I'm on a pilot message board where pilots are calling themselves overpaid??????

I'm sorry, did I miss something?

I don't know about you but I spent 13 years getting to where I am now (which is only the start of a long road.......(Interviewed with AMR - Oct 01 Class, gone now!). I then would have had to make $24K/year for the first year and maybe, maybe, $65K my second year (that would be year 15 of my career).....I'm as well educated as my highschool pals who are making $150K/year typing on a keyboard for Sun micro and Apple in San Jose, and they have stock options and other great bene's. I haven't made more than $60K/year in the 6 years of "professional" flying I have behind me, all while my highschool buds were starting at $75K/year 8 years ago! My career at American was gonna be the reward for that long road, and you call that overpaid????

Between inflation and pay rising nationwide, we as a profession are lagging, UAL and DAL just tried to make up for lost time (8 years to be exact).....common guys!

And don't forget either.....if the top pay for being a pilot goes down, the bottom pay does too.....the $17K/year E120 FO will be a $10K/year FO and have to pay for training again (remember that? PFT $10,000 + hotel + food)

The problem with pay is in the ATR captain (like I was) who made $48K/year with the lives of 70 people in his hands.....or the $44K/year EJA Citation X captain, or the $150K/year SWA Captain who's company is making money in a recession while his fellow 737 pilots are DAL and UAL are about to loose their job because they dared ask to get what they are worth!

V70

Last edited:
V70T5,

Man, maybe someday I'll get to fly with a guy like you and get to listen about how "hard" you've had it - and what you've "got coming" because you "paid your dues".... and "if only you went to law school" you'de have that big house like your high school buddies.

Someday.

Keep it real dude. Somebody on this board has a good quote from Darwin as their signiture - change or die.

Pax Vobiscum

everyone can be right

The fact is that everyone on here can be right.

The part that is ignored is that things have to be relative and impact the overall in a way that the ultimate payer, the customer is willing to pay it.

Many here seem to think that the way this works is we determine what we want to be paid, negotiate for it, and then it is managements obligation to figure out how to get that back from the customer.

This rather than figuring out what the customer will pay and then how to structure your costs to fit it. This is one of the major differences between the American way of thinking and the Japanese way.

SWA has put together a balanced model that pays their employees in a reasonable way, treats them with respect, but, also enables them to put a product out that the public will pay for. Alaska, Jetblue, Airtran, and others are utilizing that model.

All this rhetoric is meaningless if that balance is not maintained.

To all you guys and gals who deserve more money. I partly agree with you. You spend alot of time and money investing in your flying future and then times like these happen. It sux no doubt, but instead of complaining or even worse "whining" about it go do something else. If the airline business is that bad and has been for that long, what in the hell are you still doing in the business. Most pilots are smart capable human beings, go make your quarter million a year somewhere else. BUT PLEASE QUIT WHINING, I get enough of that from my 2 year old.

Bake

A bigger problem ?

A bigger problem than pay itself is the stupid notion the public has that it only costs $49.00 for a one way ticket from SFO-JFK ! I have had a few conversations with friends that really think that SWA makes money with that fare ! ( just an example, don't really know if they fly that route, I do know they offer it as a coast to coast fare) Lower the expectation this much and then people come to expect it. We are all killing ourselves by not being able to raise fares enough to do business. You can only do this for so long and even SWA won't be making money. How many polititians get up on their soapbox screaming about fares, it is not for the public but for themselves. When they travel on Govt. business, they ride in business class and don't give a rats a$$ how much the ticket is. However when they travel as anyone else does, they want that $49.00 coach fare. It is a shame they have the public forum to complain like they do, but hey, it is free speech in this country.

If a decent fare hike could make it's way into reality then we might start to see a change. How many times has the industry tried to raise a fare by only $20.00 just to have a competitor get greedy and try to gain a little more share of that pie ? I cannot imagine that Joe public would balk at paying $320.00 vs $300.00 ? Until we can erase the notion that airfare is cheaper than Greyhound fares, we are all in big trouble.

Anyone else feel the same way ?

This is obviously going nowhere with the ALPA/APA and DAL/UAL bashing on wages. I guess if we as pilots don't think we deserve good wages, then certainly the public and managemet will not.

BTW, $150K/yr is peanuts where I live, peanuts....get it? 1800 square foot houses cost $700,000 and up in middle class areas.... My wife would have to work (put our kids in day care), and then earn the same amount as me for us to live on that. I am (very)lucky to have other financal means at my disposal. And don't give me this "well move then!" becasue I don't **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**en want to!

If that is whining, then too bad, its my 1st amendment right, get over it.

From Bake:

Most pilots are smart capable human beings, go make your quarter million a year somewhere else. BUT PLEASE QUIT WHINING
Can I have an "Amen"?

Falcon Capt has an intuitive grasp the obvious that some pilots are missing (which could led to whining ;) ). Thanks for educating them.

Hoping the pool is emptied, so others can join.

Yahtz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back