• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks...

V70T5 or whatever, thanks to SWA, we can work until we are ready to retire. What a concept. How many years will it be until any other airline can do that? 10? 15? ALPA is in deep Sh#t. Common sense is something that I know you have. I hope that you are okay...

Last edited:
this isn't personal - don't make it..

I'm ok, I just don't want to see us flying RJ's all over the country to compete with SWA. The answer is that the airlines have to reevaluate their model, but that alone is not enough, SWA pilots and now JB pilots need to step up to the plate and get industry leading money for those 737's, else the free market will drag down everyone to the lowest common denominator. This is part of what is happening now where "UAL has high labor costs" The problem is that SWA has low costs, not the other way around as far as we pilots should be concerned.

If that rubs you wrong, I'm sorry, I don't mean any personal insult to anyone.

BTW V70T5 is the name of the souped up version of my wagon, the V70 2.4T, but that doesn’t go too well for a screen name so I use V70T5...... at least we can clear that up.

Souped up wagon? That's cool...

It doesn't rub me wrong at all. It's just that 737 industry leading pay is whatever people are willing to pay to ride on a 737, and how much a company can pay a 737 pilot and remain profittable. Each day we are re-defining 737 industry leading pay. I hope that it doesn't fall much further...Good luck(hope I didn't misspell profittable).

As far as our pilots' "stepping up to the table", they did that almost 10 years ago in an unpresidented pay freeze in order to make sure that the company makes it through the GUARANTEED bad times that happen approx. every 10 or 12 years, and it appears to be working so far, not to mention the fact that they have just offered us a pay raise (and some nit wits are thinking about voting it down, guess you have 'em at every airline...)

Finally, after the profits happen, I get rewarded with stock options and profit sharing. I haven't been here for 30 yrs., but it has been working for 30 yrs. Just a recipe that I think the industry will be forced to look at...
I can't spell for sh#t...sorry

Last edited:
Re: Souped up wagon? That's cool...

Maynard said:
it has been working for 30 yrs. Just a recipe that I think the industry will be forced to look at...
I can't spell for sh#t...sorry

This much is true...

Actually, it won't be Eagle doubling in size. It will be Connection. Using "reverse code-sharing" they can fly ANY SIZE aircraft to ANY DESTINATION with UNLIMITED FLEET SIZE.

Scope and the ASM cap have Eagle under some control.

Connection is free to EXPLODE !

I should change my name to S60T5, as I have a "souped-up" sedan.

eaglefly. the S60T5 is a rocket. I wanted the S80 T6 but the wife veto'd it and made me get the wagon, and the low pressure turbo, it still move out though.

As for "Connection", I agree and the term RJ has been stretched a bit as well, the other day I was at SMF and saw a Horizon CRJ700, and I had to do a double take as it looked like a mainline size jet. Now there are 90 seat versions and EMB has a AirBus 318 look alike comming out soon, to be sold to the "regionals" I assume.

I hope the unions can hold ground on scope, but I'm not counting on it.

Pub,

There is that magical $350K 747 captain pay. Please tell me where you are getting your numbers from. I have contract comparison numbers for all the majors (not kit darby's math either). Still can't figure where you arrived at that? It is bad enough the flying public (ignorance) thinks we make $350k and work a week a month, but you are in the biz.

As for SWA being the cheese. Yes it is a great company, but they don't fund a pension and medical to retirees like some of the other carriers. (what a tremendous cost) If those costs were dropped it would be a different story.

AAflyer

Southwest really needs to pick up the pace for pilot pay or else we're all going to see major pay cuts for a long time to come. SWA flies in a lot of the same markets as AMR and that is an advantage they have over AMR, pay, retirement, productivity (work rules).

AApples and Peanuts

V70T5 said:
Southwest really needs to pick up the pace for pilot pay or else we're all going to see major pay cuts for a long time to come. SWA flies in a lot of the same markets as AMR and that is an advantage they have over AMR, pay, retirement, productivity (work rules).

OK V70, here's my Kool-aid qualified response to that:

Efficiency. Quicker turns. Point-to-point flights. One airframe. Lower insurance costs (see "bring your own type rating.") Peanuts. Wild Turkey. Scanty FA uniforms (well, at least in the '70s--saved costs on material). Fast taxiing. Entertainment provided by the crew. Oh--and pay, retirement and productivity.

A little tongue-in-cheek, but you get the point. Really hard to compare the two. And I don't think Southwest wants to convert to a hub-and-spoke, international airline anymore than AA wants to convert to a point-to-point, domestic, one-airframe airline. As for picking up the pace for pilot pay, I believe Southwest could make a move to lead the entire industry for 737 pay by a cushion of 30% and still be the most profitable airline in the industry because of the other efficiencies. But that's just never going to happen. The guys over there just have a different take on the whole pay vs. retirement vs. job security equation. Of course they want to be paid commensurate to the duty at hand, and they will be. But I don't think there's going to be a lot of discussion about the verdancy of the neighbors' lawn when it comes down to crunch time, not in this new world anyway.

I feel for the furloughees out there, and for those who have, temporarily or permanently, missed their opportunity for their dream job, believe me--I share a bedroom with one of them, and she's the mother of my children. And as deleriously happy as I am, I'm not anywhere near complacent about my place in the grand experiment we're all in, despite my unbelievably good fortune to have a place in the Southwest pool. But I find it sadly ironic how much talk there is about Southwest these days, as if they just fell off the turnip truck. For God's sake, they've been doing THE SAME THING for 31 years now! And they even wrote their formula down in a few books. (The last good book about them was written even as the latest great boom in the majors began in '96.) But now all of a sudden they're more visible because they're leading in profitability (a gross understatement) and the pilots are supposed to step up and demand a wage that could make their balance sheet look a lot more like the rest of the carriers'? I just don't see it happening.

I sure wish I had a crystal ball to see, 1) if the RJ boom will really happen as has been widely projected in this forum, and 2) what affect that might have on Southwest's fortunes. I will keep the faith, as my dream job is riding on that one too.

In Herb I trust.

Sign me,
850T5, or 740GLE (Volvo geek moment)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back