• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA JFK crosswind emergency...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
According to Flightaware, they held some....maybe 30 minutes worth.
Regardless, if it was a fuel issue, they should have known this in the hold and passed the word to center so they could inform approach and tower.

Instead, they had to play "My d*ck is bigger than yours"

According to Flightaware, they held some....maybe 30 minutes worth.
Regardless, if it was a fuel issue, they should have known this in the hold and passed the word to center so they could inform approach and tower.

Instead, they had to play "My d*ck is bigger than yours"

link to center and approach recordings?

If you fly long enough you will get in a situation where you are holding and know fuel to the alternate is the same as to destination. I have been in it a few times and knew the problems to alternate were the same as to destination so if I knew my line up and the wx to destination was ok I would burn into alternate fuel because it was safer than diverting at that point. They knew it was VFR and were in the lineup so continued to JFK. On short final they were told the wind was now beyond their crosswind limits so they must have felt their fuel situation would cause an emergency situation being sequenced back for another landing. Notice the gust info was not transmitted after their incident? I would like to see a wind readout with gusts before and after the incidents from the monitoring equipment, not from transmitted wind from tower.

link to center and approach recordings?

Keyword: IF

What I'm appalled by is this AA never once asked for WIND CHECK.....Tower had to give it to them unasked. How did they plan on landing with out the auto throttles?

61 replies but no mention of what the big, scary crosswind actually was.

I guess they were the only 767 that flew into JFK that day, because all of the others would have crashed.

Stop the PIC chest beating. How about manning up and flying the aircraft.

They had a crew "man up and fly the aircraft" down in Kingston.

That worked out really well for them, didn't it?

61 replies but no mention of what the big, scary crosswind actually was.

I guess they were the only 767 that flew into JFK that day, because all of the others would have crashed.

Stop the PIC chest beating. How about manning up and flying the aircraft.

The original poster included this link in the first post (1/61) of this thread. I guess you were too busy counting. In the future take a little extra time before unleashing Spontaneity, passing wind included. http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/new...s_clearance_crosswind_emergency_202510-1.html

Did the crew ever state the nature of the emergency, once they actually declared? Or was it just ' get outta the way, we're coming in'???

"If you want 31 you are going to have to declare an emergency."

"Ok we are declaring an emergency."

Pretty obvious what the nature of the emergency was.

Some of you need to grow a pair and stop letting ATC run your cockpit.

"If you want 31 you are going to have to declare an emergency."

"Ok we are declaring an emergency."

Pretty obvious what the nature of the emergency was.

Some of you need to grow a pair and stop letting ATC run your cockpit.

Pretty clear? Yeah.

Tower: "AA, if you want to deviate from an ATC clearance, you'd better be having an emergency."

AA: "Fine, maybe we didn't say anything up to this point about any problems, but now we're an emergency aircraft. All your airspace are belong to us."

Latest resources

Back