• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA JFK crosswind emergency...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There has to be more to it that crosswind issues. I would think they would divert before declaring an emergency due to excessive crosswinds. That audio did sound like it had been chopped though.

Before you post something like this, why don't you get the complete facts behind this instead of inferring that it was a crosswind issue only?

Why don't you familiarize yourself with the poster's intent before picking a fight. Does it really matter if it was not just crosswinds.

FAR PART 91.3 (a)
FAR PART 121.557 (a)

There has to be more to it that crosswind issues. I would think they would divert before declaring an emergency due to excessive crosswinds. That audio did sound like it had been chopped though.

I agree...Id like to hear the previous 3 mins or so...that capt. sounded like he had already been a few rounds with ATC
well done

Last edited:
I can't imagine delcaring an emergency because of crosswinds. If the winds were out of limits and they needed a different runway, that could be accomplished without declaring an emergency. If the problem was low fuel other something else like that, that's another story. I'm based JFK and deal with these controllers all the time so I understand how they can be sometimes. But this whole thing is just weird. If you don't like the runway/crosswind configuration, that's not an emergency in my book unless there are other factors involved.

The FAA leadership is pushing pilots to the max at JFK. They are trying to satisfy their masters at the ATA to run the same schedule regardless of environmental conditions. It's the old story, just like airline managements say: "Remember, it's safety first!" but then under the table subliminal pressure pilots to "Git 'er done." At least until something goes wrong, then they hang the pilots and waive the "Safety First" letter under their noses. This is the way the US aviation system has stumbled along for decades.

I can't imagine delcaring an emergency because of crosswinds. If the winds were out of limits and they needed a different runway, that could be accomplished without declaring an emergency. If the problem was low fuel other something else like that, that's another story. I'm based JFK and deal with these controllers all the time so I understand how they can be sometimes. But this whole thing is just weird. If you don't like the runway/crosswind configuration, that's not an emergency in my book unless there are other factors involved.

Other factors were involved. And just try and ask for another runway from JFK approach control. You'll get the "Not only NO, but Hell NO, and don't ask again."

Latest resources

Back