• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

satpak77

Marriott Platinum Member
comments ?

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/new...s_clearance_crosswind_emergency_202510-1.html

Construction And Crosswind Leads To JFK "Emergency" (With Audio)

The crew of a loaded American Airlines Boeing 767 out of Los Angeles ultimately declared an emergency while trying to land in strong crosswinds at JFK after apparently being denied their runway of choice. Speaking for the JFK Controller union, Steve Abraham told ABC news, the pilot "had no choice. He couldn't land 22L, it would have been illegal for him," due to the crosswind. JFK's main runway has been closed for about eight weeks, now, and maintaining the flow of traffic at the airport has led to some less than ideal clearances. For this crew, at that time, the clearance to 22L apparently crossed the line. After receiving the clearance, the crew responded, "We can't land on 22," adding later, "We're breaking off approach and if you don't give us to Runway 31R, we're going to declare an emergency." The pilots did declare an emergency, told the tower of their intentions and added, "Remove everybody from our way. We've declared an emergency."
JFK's main runway, the 14,572 foot-long 13 right/31 left was closed in March to undergo a four-month-long facelift that includes widening and repaving. The closure is expected to last through June and means that the international airport's normal traffic must be diverted to the international airport's three remaining runways. But, according to controllers, maintaining the pre-closure traffic volume in all weather conditions, without incurring delays, has presented challenges made manifest in this testy exchange. Click for Audio.

Before you post something like this, why don't you get the complete facts behind this instead of inferring that it was a crosswind issue only?

Maybe the FAA administrator ought to put safety first for a change and decrease the volume of traffic when necessary.
But, then again, why would we expect him to do that when he stalls flight time and duty day reforms in favor of the airlines CEOs?

Last edited:
Before you post something like this, why don't you get the complete facts behind this instead of inferring that it was a crosswind issue only?

Maybe the FAA administrator ought to put safety first for a change and decrease the volume of traffic when necessary.
But, then again, why would we expect him to do that when he stalls flight time and duty day reforms in favor of the airlines CEOs?

dude, chill. I asked "comments?" with no additional remarks by me. This means I did not take a position on the issue, simply posted it for reading and commentary by the audience. I do not (note: this is called a self admittance) have the facts nor the "real story"

What about Newark? Bradley? Phillie? I don't know the details but I'm not sure I'd want to land on a runway under construction, even in an emergency...

I saw this on the news and they played the tape. It was presented as a heated exchange. I would hardly call it heated but would mostly call it professional. What’s the big deal? Of course now that it is on the news I am sure the FAA will revoke their certificates while they investigate leaving two normal pilots without pay.

ATC has "a plan" and VERY LITTLE tolerace for pilots who don't chose to follow it. I applaud the American guys for doing it. In the end they got what they needed and ATC learned a lesson.

Gup

This is a great opportunity for all airlines and pilots to show exactly how broken ATC is. The facts leading to AA declaring an emergency is immaterial, all that matters is how poorly ATC handled it.

Latest resources

Back