• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BoilerUP said:
Dang guys, I may have disagreed with h25b but the only fighting I wanna do with him is whether Texas or NC has the best BBQ...

I wish you nothing but the best, as a matter of fact you remind me a lot of myself when I was leaving W. Lafayette. I wish someone had beaten me over the head with the nasty realities of the business a lot sooner. I have no capability of subtlety. Zero. Sorry.

On more important issues. While each BBQ has its unique qualities, I would have to go with NC BBQ as the best as it, like beer, is an acquired taste more suited to those with mature taste buds. :D As for Texas BBQ, County Line BBQ in Austin, TX has my vote for the best in Texas. I like the on-the-hill location the best.

P.S. Shrek doesn't want to mix it up with me, unlike a regional pilot I can afford the post-fight litigation....;)

Last edited:
Redmeat said:
.... We have a winner folks!

And this is the type of behavior that gives the regional folks a bad name, and why they do not get any respect.

LOL.......and you thought I wanted physical violence........lol Some of you actually know who I am.....I don't need to beat on my chest to prove my point----------instead of hiding behind your little screen names I wanted a face to face conversation.............but ALL supporters of Gayjets are pu**ies anyways.

I knew if I even threw out the option of a meeting y'all would think such immature things instead of somebody who would meet and talk to me why you think that the TSA pilot group did NOT deserve the flying that they built. No masks......no screenames......just in your face talkin........

BUNCHA SLACK-JAWED (*&*&^*&

Shrek said:
LOL.......and you thought I wanted physical violence........lol Some of you actually know who I am.....I don't need to beat on my chest to prove my point----------instead of hiding behind your little screen names I wanted a face to face conversation.............but ALL supporters of Gayjets are pu**ies anyways.

I knew if I even threw out the option of a meeting y'all would think such immature things instead of somebody who would meet and talk to me why you think that the TSA pilot group did NOT deserve the flying that they built. No masks......no screenames......just in your face talkin........

BUNCHA SLACK-JAWED (*&*&^*&

Why in the world do you guys think I'm a GJ supporter ?? Evidently no one can read. I've even said that they are no good for the industry. For at least the 10th time, it stinks. I just disagree on how to proceed forward. And if you'd like to meet, PM me when you're coming to central NC and I'll even buy the BBQ & beer... You may in fact be able to kick for rear physically, but I'll eat you under the table when it comes to Lexington BBQ. That's the true measure of a man. At least here in NC anyways.:D

You guys are worse than the NetJets pilots. LMAO...

Last edited:
Redmeat said:
And this is the type of behavior that gives the regional folks a bad name, and why they do not get any respect.
Yes, it is unfortunate but true. On the contrary, it would be easy for myself to stereotype all mainline pilots as being arrogant. I refuse to do so, however, because I know that there is only a minority who have that sort of attitude. Surely you as well are capable of telling the difference without stereotyping everyone in the group.

So.......how would you proceed then?

My daughter lives in NC and the next time I drive to go see her I will take you up on that offer.....I will PM the details when I plan on coming down.

BBQ and a beer?.......that scores points (STL BBQ SUX)

Shrek said:
So.......how would you proceed then?

My daughter lives in NC and the next time I drive to go see her I will take you up on that offer.....I will PM the details when I plan on coming down.

BBQ and a beer?.......that scores points (STL BBQ SUX)

You're on... How to proceed? Well, for starters if you'd like to be paid and treated like professionals you all need to act like professionals. Carry on your disgust with the GJ pilots quietly while behind closed doors negotiating them out of existence or at least stapled on the bottom of your list. Don't waste your time and money on a single carrier lawsuit, if you haven't noticed ALPA could care less. Yes, this will cost you on your CBA but the Chautauqua pilots will all tell you it's money well spent. In today's environment no one can reasonably expect you're going to get something akin to what Comair is currently in the process of having to give back. In today's day in age, you need to be fighting for good healthcare and retirement almost more than payrates.

Fblowjets said:
And yes the list going around does work, road to hotels with several crews who have the list and bragged about denying GJ jumpseaters. All different airlines, trust me it works...

Oh, I see... So you overheard some guys on the crew van bragging about denying GJ jumpseaters...:rolleyes: It must be true then. From what I remember on those rides to the hotel the staff would have to hose out the inside of the vans at the end of the shifts from all of the complete B.S. that was spewed forth. I personally used to spend those rides trying to figure out whose crew had the best looking flight attendants. Best advice I can give you, please don't accept any financial advice while riding on the hotel van. ;) And you wonder why I can't resist visiting the regionals' board, you guys are a hoot.

Last edited:
purdue_pilot said:
Hey everyone...long time lurker, first time poster! ;)

I have been reading a lot on this site about GJ and it seems that almost everyone is against the airline. While there seem to be several people who are alright with them, I would like to hear more on both sides. I have the opportunity for an interview with them next week, and just would like to hear more of your thoughts. Keep in mind that I'm not really leaning one way or the other right now, so what you say will help me a lot. I really appreciate it! :)

purdue_pilot,

I'm sure when you gave your first few flight lessons you would have done it for free or next to nothing. How would you feel about that now? Just as I am sure that you now desire to be compensated for your time and experience, you will soon feel the same way about flying whatever equipment your future employer might have. I’m sure that you can't wait to no longer do endless stalls, steep turns, etc. However, after a few months on the line at whatever airline you happen to become employed with, you realize that you have to pay the bills, and flying is your profession. Just like when you first started instructing, the excitement dulls a little after you get a little experience under your belt.

Since you have yet to enter the airline world, let me put GJ into terms you might be more familiar with. I would assume from your credentials that you instruct at Hanger 6 or for LAI. How would you like it if tomorrow Larry G. or Jeff P. came to you and said that a new batch of instructors have gotten their licenses and will work for 2/3 of what you have been paid. All future students will go to them, but of course you are free to join them by taking a 1/3 pay cut. My guess is that you wouldn’t have to think twice about how much that sucked, and that it was fundamentally wrong for your employer to do that. At the same time, you would feel animosity towards the individuals signing up to do your job for less. Keep in mind, they are just trying to get started and are so excited to join the wonderful world of flight instructors. They can’t wait to help their students learn while building time, and anything would be more than they make flying right now. Are they really so bad for trying to get their foot in the CFI door? Please remember that this example is hypothetical, and that I haven’t researched the exact percentage difference between TSA and GJ. The concept is the same though.

Unfortunately, airline managers are always perfecting techniques that are variations of this one. Part of the problem with our industry as a whole, is that there are always more people who want a flying job, and meet the TECHNICAL qualifications to perform the job than are positions available. In a few years there will be someone willing to do your job for less than you, and the cycle will continue until it gets to a point where there are no high paying jobs left at the top. In fact, we may not be far from that point today. Five and a half years ago I was where you are. Sadly, many times this year I have thought of leaving the profession not because I no longer like flying, but what I have to put up with to get to fly has gotten out of hand. There are many times that I wish that I would have done something else for income, and bought a little airplane to fly for fun on the side. If you have kept up at all recently with what is happening in the airline industry, you know that wages, benefits, etc. have been slashed along with thousands of furloughs. So the idea of suffering for a few years at a regional to make up for it at a major is not a valid plan anymore. You might be at XYZ airline for a decade, so choose wisely.

As I said before, I was in your shoes not so long ago and realize that they teach you all about airplanes, but very little about airlines. I would highly suggest reading the book “Hard Landing.” It would even suffice for the next time you have to do a book report for some class held in LAEB. J As for Bernie, he is a great guy and as someone else said, is just trying to find jobs for graduates. In a climate like the one today, he has to send people to anywhere that is hiring. By the way, I came back to visit a while back and was shocked at how much weight he has lost. He wasn’t huge, but the tower (his wife was a controller) and Mitch would joke that any airplane that he was in became a “Heavy.” As for being blackballed because of going to GJ, it may not be a career ender, but this is an astonishingly small world we work in. Many airlines use line pilots to interview, and a few airlines I know of have a board showing who will be offered a job soon for people to comment on. No matter what decisions you make in this industry, keep those things in mind.

Gorditas

h25b said:
You're on... How to proceed? Well, for starters if you'd like to be paid and treated like professionals you all need to act like professionals. Carry on your disgust with the GJ pilots quietly while behind closed doors negotiating them out of existence or at least stapled on the bottom of your list. Don't waste your time and money on a single carrier lawsuit, if you haven't noticed ALPA could care less. Yes, this will cost you on your CBA but the Chautauqua pilots will all tell you it's money well spent. In today's environment no one can reasonably expect you're going to get something akin to what Comair is currently in the process of having to give back. In today's day in age, you need to be fighting for good healthcare and retirement almost more than payrates.

Ok here is a recap.......mgt/TSA MEC were negotiating 70 seat payrates.......talks broke down when MGT at the last minute said those rates were for 70 seats AND more. A couple of months later Gayjets was born. After informational picketing got United's station managers upset......got the word to TSA management for the informational picketing to stop. The LOA proposal was a joke and unacceptable and STL flt mgrs were waving around the agreement proposal and commenting that TSA WILL shut down unless a yes vote was recieved. The new scope language in that proposal was still very weak and TSA mgt could easily get around it again in the future. The extension was for 4 years and COLA was effectively lowered over the life of that agreement. A 75% NO vote was recieved on that proposal and TSA management has since not contacted us. The TSA MEC has come back with at least one counterproposal and it has fallen on deaf ears to say the least. As I am sure you know......the single carrier petition will not solve our problems but will make the fight a little easier. The fact that gayjets are being courted by the Teamsters is because the TSA Lawyer DH is PERSONAL friends with the local Teamster union official. The few ways of doing something about our plight is being done right now.....informational picketing.....and filing the single carrier petition. We are also starting negotiations on our new contract soon and that can take up to 4 years plus so immediate help is not there either. Striking is out of the cards. We as professional pilots are following our company practices to the letter and keeping our noses clean. In the meantime we are fighting to get our two MEC officials jobs back since they were terminated on bogus claims in retaliation for this fight. They will get their jobs back eventually with backpay.

We are ready to negotiate in good faith at any time the company chooses. It just seems they are intent on their current trend of trying to intimidate our pilot group by firings, suspensions and gayjet. We are not ready to burn this company to the ground but it is hard to put on a straight face when in ORD you are told to follow "gateway" all the way to the active.

Gorditas,

I possibly wouldn't have run into you at that hole in the wall Spondivits. Just wondering because I had a fliight instructor with that same nickname. Anyway, excellent post. I'm glad that someone was finally able to break this down to the level of those that it will affect.

Latest resources

Back