• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
purdue_pilot:

Dude, you're a Purdue grad. You can do better than GJ! I hope the number of Purdue folks (like me) that go to GJ (I NEVER would, as long as TSA pilots say not to) stays very, very small or zero.

I was frustrated enough to hear GJ was going to be at the job fair. I heard Skyway will be there, and while they may not be the best regional to work for (if there is such a thing), they are quite decent (speaking from experience).

My reasons are similar to Gorditas (nice post).

Does Bernie still drink Coors Light? I haven't seen him in years...

h25b said:
Let me tell you about the cold, hard truth of the industry because, I assure you, you don't have a clue... Pilots will eat each other AND their young if it means either of these things: more airplanes, quicker upgrade, or more money...

I know of approximately 300 outstanding FOs at Trans States that refused to "eat each other AND their young" despite the opportunity of more airplanes, quicker upgrade and more money (from an FOs perspective, even the schitty Gayjets CA pay is better than FO pay) not to mention all the FOs that refused to apply from other regionals. I also know of a few that were instructors in the Oct 10 TSA class that got offered Gayjets positions and refused(way to go, guys)

I could have gone there and I'd be making about 56k right now instead of 25k. But I refuse to sell my soul for money. I would like to be a part of this industry for the next 25 years or so. Everyone is on here talking about the demise of the industry and what can we do? Well, this is a start. Bringing down Gayjets in it's current form will not solve the industries problems, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. It's in my front yard, so I'm fighting like hell. I don't know what else to do right now. Yes, I am considering getting out of flying but there are a lot of other industries having a lot of the same difficulties right now. The grass is not always greener...

BoilerUP said:
Dang guys, I may have disagreed with h25b but the only fighting I wanna do with him is whether Texas or NC has the best BBQ...

That would be Texas, no doubt. Tried the BBQ in NC, mustard is for sandwiches not BBQ!

purdue_pilot:
I have been employed, unemployed, upgraded, downgraded, force moved, furloughed and taken multiple pay cuts since graduating Purdue. The one class they forgot to teach us is "Airline BullSh!t 101." Many of our instructors had jobs swiped right out from under them. Braniff etc. It's not going to be all roses, but the best you can do is educate yourself on any decision you make regarding your career, as you are doing here. Don't let someone talk you into or out of any decision you make. All pilots think they are the all-knowing on all subject matters. Especially ones with 4 stripes. Pilots will eat their own, management will do their best to make you work for free 32 days a month, and alpa will continue to take nearly 2% of your pay and do nothing for you even though they stroke you as much as possible and pay their dictator $400 large a year.
Regionals have been undercutting majors for years, and now regionals are being undercut, ie gjets. Now the regional pilots are mad they are getting a taste of their own medicine. I am definetly not advacating going to gjets, however I am saying you should do what YOU think is right. If you are waiting for the perfect regional job that is accepted by all pilot groups, you will be an instructor forever. Go sign up to take Gross' job when he leaves.
I personally would not consider going to gjets, however I would not worry about it affecting your career. Who gives a crap if some 23yr old TSA pilot is mad at you. Your next carrier will NOT care if you went to gjets. They look at your flight time only, and seeing you graduated from PU is always a help. PU has a fantastic reputation in the aviation industry. A few all-knowing loudmouths have at times tainted the PU rep, but fortunately those are a minority.
Finally, I had many, many pilots at my regional say I was an idiot for paying for a 737 type. They would say, "Why would you go fly a 737 your whole life flying 6-8 legs a day. You are advocating pay-for-training and doing the industry a dis-service." I did this because I wanted to work for the most secure and profitable airline in history. I have moved on with my career and many of those nay-sayers are 20 yr. Captains getting molested daily flying props at the regional level.

ps. Texas BBQ cant be beat!! A little known fact is that it was the Texans who brought beef to the new world. NC- NASCAR, yeeeeeeeehaw, go fast, turn left. Who's yur driver? Who the hell put vinegar on my brisket? SC- Did some 3yr old spill mustard on my sandwich? KC- All they have is Trent Green and Larry Johnson, BBQ? Texas- We have it all. Try Sonny Bryans next to Love Field.

Last edited:
Remember that many airlines (JetBlue, SWA, AirTran) post a list of prospective hire-ees on a board for everyone to look at. Next to your name, is a list of your previous employers. If the name G*Jet is next to your name, you're f**cked. There will be plenty of people running to the chief pilot to tell them what a spineless mofo you are. Don't take a job a G*Jet, it'll ruin you and your career!

Whataburger said:
Regionals have been undercutting majors for years, and now regionals are being undercut, ie gjets. Now the regional pilots are mad they are getting a taste of their own medicine. Who gives a crap if some 23yr old TSA pilot is mad at you. Your next carrier will NOT care if you went to gjets. They look at your flight time only, and seeing you graduated from PU is always a help.
Whataburger....are you serious. What the helll rock did you crawl out from under? Regionals started to serve cities that coudn't be served by larger aircraft, then later they did begin undercutting majors, but only in the weaker markets. Yes the role regionals played has really evolved, but this problem could have been dealt with decades ago. Unions...mainly ALPA...could have pushed majors to buy the regional a/c at the time and set up pay rates to keep all those jobs in the major airlines. ALPA probably forsaw this problem but they just didn't care enough or didn't think it would have as much influence on the aviation industry as it actually did! I work at TSA a regional airline and I'm the first to tell you that it shouldn't exist, but it does and it has for decades! In Europe carriers like Alitalia hire a pilot and he starts in a dash 8 moves to an rj, then a md-80 and so on...up to their widebody aircraft. That is the way it should be here in the US. But the way it is now, Regionals and Majors are in two completely different tiers. As a pilot starts out they will build more and more time to where they can qualify to move up anther tier, eventually getting the job they always wanted or the the top tier major airline. That's the way the system is set up here in the US. What GJ is doing as another regional carrier (the same company i might add as TSA) to the entire regional tier is undercutting my job at TSA and other regional jobs on the same tier, not to mention they are taking a job I earned as TSA employee, busting my azz for this company. A pilot could easily apply for TSA and start out the same way I did, not build on a union-busting company taking food off my family's table.

The second part of your post stating not to care about if some 23yr old pilot is mad at you. FUCH U! I wish I was still 23, but I'm not, and if you think you're more self righteous because you're older and wiser you got another thing coming. I have more respect for the 23 yr old that is taking the correct path than the most senior Piece of S*** CPT at GJ. That 23 yr old might later be sitting on your hiring board, then I'd bet you didn't want to piss him off! And if you think that other airlines don't know about the GJ pilots and won't prevent them from getting work elswhere you wrong! There will and have already been hiring problems for people that work at GJ currently and few that have already realized how bad the company is and left still trying to get work elsewhere. Flight time may or may not get you through the interview door. But in the airlines, it's about who you know and what they know about you! And knowing you worked at GJ is bad business!!!

Last edited:
Alpa is the best ! Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

jetpilot007 said:
"In Europe carriers like Alitalia hire a pilot and he starts in a dash 8 moves to an rj, then a md-80 and so on...up to their widebody aircraft. That is the way it should be here in the US."

I agree with you here, but unfortunately I don't believe we will ever see that here in the United States. Back when the opportunity was there, the mainline pilots/companies did not have the forsight to consolidate their wholly owned regionals and buy regional jets/turboprops for themselves - mainline pilots dont fly "small jets." Instead they decided to farm-out the regional jet flying to the lowest bidder (ie TSA). In addition, if ALPA wanted to work on this problem, they could. Once hired at a company, a pilot should get a seniority number that he/she will have for the rest of their avation career. Not happening.

"I wish I was still 23, but I'm not, and if you think you're more self righteous because your older and wiser you got another thing coming."

This was never stated or intended. Just passing-on my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. Sorry you don't like it. Plus, it's "you're older" not "your older."

Could you please give me an example of someone not getting a job solely because he/she worked at gjets? Then I will stand corrected.

Last edited:
Whataburger said:
Go sign up to take Gross' job when he leaves.

That won't work, Gross is never leaving.

Does he still say "behoove" all the time? As in, it will behoove you to go to Harry's at noon, sit in the fishbowl, and leave at bartime.

Latest resources

Back