• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2000 hour wonders hired at Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not trying to come off as superior but when you are comparing a guy coming up through regional training and saying more folks would rather fly with them then a 1500 hr Mil guy. I have to completely disagree. Look at the Colgan accident. Guys (and the gal) can sneak through the regional training into a 121 glass cockpit. You think the colgan capt would have made it through all the training that 1500 hr F16 guy made it through? You think he's the only one out there?

You do fail to see it cause you haven't been through the training. Like you I've instructed but as a T-38 IP. We had to non fighter qual quite a few regional airline pilot guard guys (many with 3000+ crj time) . They often just couldn't keep up with the jet. Let's face we all like this airline flying cause it is, 99% of the time, it's a very easy job and pays pretty well (oneday hopefully......), but when the proverbial you know what hits the fan, I would rather have that F16 guy up there. Sorry I know that offends you but from the original posters theory that most would want to be flown by a 3000 hr 121 guy vs a 1500hr F16 guy, I very much disagree....

I'm just saying....

I'm just saying shut up... Just everyone shut up and get over yourself. It's pathetic. Just respect everyone and where they come from. People are different, have we still not learned this by year 2010?????

I did when she was still an FO. Excellent pilot, great attitude. I have no doubt that there are some who get their job because of a quota, but I personally believe that in this case, she is qualified.

Now, why we need a VP of diversity is the real question.
Not to start an argument but when I flew with her when she was a F/O at AS it was the opposite. Attitude bad, flying marginal

The other member of the crew that was also hired at Delta allegedly did not pass check ride coming back from furlough a few weeks before Delta interview.....welcome aboard!

Come on, it's all in the training.....

Is anyone on this board gonna come out an actually say that military training is not better than civilian?

The Mil vs Civ thing is a false debate.. it's all supply and demand.. There are times (such as in the build up post-9/11), wars, build ups that the military has a lot of need for pilots and the requirements aren't as strict, othertimes during drawdowns and budget cuts, you'd need to be top of your class or graduate of an academy to get a flying slot.. Just as with the regular pilot job market... supply dictates the caliber of the individual selected.. and then there is the whole female thing... there is a double standard and what women are required to bring to the table is short of what a man is.

All else being equal, I'd say military pilots are better vetted but not necessarily better pilots... anyone who's flown long enough knows that.

Is anyone on this board gonna come out an actually say that military training is not better than civilian?

Navy is. Air force, not necessarily.
Civ world is too varied to make any broad judgements about- but I know I'd rather fly an airline line with the "best" Civ guy than with the "best" mil guy- largely bc of how they define the term "best"

On that topic... My wife has a masters in Ed and has taught in everything from inner city type schools (when we lived in ATL, she taught at Riverside school in Maybleton) and she's taught at schools in far more affluent areas as well. We also have our two kids now in a public school which ranks as one of the best schools in the state (public or private).. it's not so much about whether the school is public or not, but more to do with the quality of the neighborhood which feeds into it, the parental involvement in their kids education, and other local factors. This is why many realtors will tell you that whether you have school age kids or not, paying attention to the schools attributed to the home you're buying is a huge factor in keeping your home's value strong.

btw, it was nice to hear from you old pal..

The town is called MABLETON
I get scared to go vote in that "school"
Government can do nothing right...if they can't keep you safe or fix potholes, why shoud you send you children there?

I saw the New-hire "First All-black-all-female" ASA crew Captain walking around the Delta Campus a few days ago. It must have been true about the VP of diversity saying she would be the first new-hire.

Anybody flown with her?
Bill,

Met her twice, flew with her once. One of my favorites to fly with. Professional, friendly, likes flying.

She could have come to Delta in 2007. So no, she was not the first and she absolutely did not use any unfair advantage in getting on board.

Good on Delta for getting her on board. Hope we get to fly together.

Last edited:
Excellent, love to hear that

She's got her hands full fighting all the stereotype crap, so congrats and good luck to her. She is a GREAT inspiration for minority kids....

Bill,

Met her twice, flew with her once. She is really a neat person. Good pilot, friendly, confident yet humble. She is a pilot and a professional first. Also, generous and has a good sense of humor. One of my favorites to fly with.

Latest resources

Back