• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2000 hour wonders hired at Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yep, great. All in a day's work. I get it.. and I've heard the same story from more than a few friends who've gone to work at your company and others like it, and they all say exactly what you do.. It's wonderful, much easier than my last job, etc., etc, and nothing like the regional they left behind. Sounds strikingly similar to your military>major experience which was exactly my point.

Simply attending and completing UPT or Navy flight school and the follow on schools doesn't make a superior pilot. I've seen too many tools in the military to try to think otherwise.

There are pilots out there from both civilian and military backgrounds who excel in their jobs at whatever airline they work. It comes easily to them because they have some extraordinary talents they were either born with, aquired through hard work or both. They don't sweat every checkride with hours and hours of prep, wring their hands over a line check or get intimidated by a little weather. They make it look easy because it is to them. It probably doesn't matter which path they took to the cockpit they now occupy. They would still be the outstanding pilot they are.

If this job is really, really hard for you and and you've got to work your arse off to do it well, that's just the way it is. What you need to try to accept is that there are some pilots out there from both military and civilian backgrounds that don't have that problem. Deal with it.

Oakum,
I'm on my third airline. Easy w/ the assumptions.

So, you've got no ACARS, dispatch won't talk to you, you need to call a FSS, your F/O is worthless, you haven't eaten for 8 hours, the weather is bad and you need to divert. Bad day.

I could build a equally bad day on the other side of the planet dealing with Chinese ATC, metric altimetry, a serious system malfunction while juggling a SATCOM call, CPDLC comm issues and a possible divert to Kazakhstan. Regional guys don't have the market cornered on bad days just because they don't have big jets and all the toys.

However, nothing I've experienced in the 11 years I've been doing the airline/cargo thing has exceeded the challenges I experienced in the military. Since I left the service, I've flown 6 different airliners and operated to every continent on the planet except Antarctica. So, I feel like I've seen a pretty good cross section of what the civilian world of 121 type flying can throw my way. So far, it's been easier than the military. But, that's me. Maybe your situation is different. But, if the worst you've got is a disaster scenario involving the dreaded northeast:rolleyes:, winter weather, a green F/O, some deferrals and lack of dispatch support, I'm not going to be impressed. Sorry.

From my perspective, I'm glad it's easier. Thank goodness we all don't have that level of challenge every time we go to work for Fedex, Delta or whoever. I'm just glad that I have some extraordinary experiences to help me cope when things start getting tougher.

We've all walked that line Fox-tree....no need to walk us through all your glory....yawnn!

Let him vent! He's got a point!

You are assuming that he could get hired by SWA to begin with. They are pretty good at weeding out losers, I mean, just look at the General and Scope, for example!!;) Methinks TC will get hit by the idiot-whacker as well!!:D

They might be good at weeding out the losers on the pilot side, but on the mechanic side they suck. This isn't a knock on Southwest mechanics or Southwest itself. I just find it funny when people say this because I know some great mechanics, hard workers, pleasure to work with, and they are always willing to help out a fellow mechanic that never got hired. These guys got passed over for the guys that didn't know jack squat, disappear in the middle of a job, stab you in the back, couldn't tell you the difference between their poophole and megger to save their lives type. Basically total a-holes that do not know anything.

Of course this happens everywhere, I just think it's funny that Southwest touts how they hire the best, but really it's no different than anywhere else when it comes to hiring. I guess some guys just interview REALLY well.

How about a 15oo hr UND ex sorority chick?

or an ex-PSA flight attendant, ex-mesa pilot development student, ex-mesa FO with a 737 type purchased by women in aviation. At least Delta hired her husband too.

The point isn't where you got your time- civilian or military. The type of time you rallied is irrelivent the moment you walk through the door at the airline for your first day in class. From the moment you walk through that door, you aren't a civilian pilot or a military pilot- you are a pilot for Delta, SW, American, etc. From that point on, you are there to do it THEIR way. Your prior time merely got you through the door. The attitude of civil or military superiority WILL get you usured out the door if you can't adapt and work well with the person sitting next to you. I personally know of multiple civilian and military folks alike, that didn't make it through training after getting hired. Bottom line- it's all about attitude and adaptability...........

Me- Standard civilian background, 5 years at the regionals then AF UPT and fighter track, 5 years there now back to airlines
Hard to compare both tracks when you haven't been through both of them....
my opinion....
Can't compare the training, not even close. Regional flying challenging? I think we all know better ....but that .000001% of the time where a little airmanship is required, I feel more comfortable falling back on the mil experience.
Not saying it can't be found somewhere else, and not saying there are no bad fighter pilots or that I'm not one of them, but I def. didn't find it in my 5 years of drooling on myself doing 8 legs a day at the regionals or through my civ experience.

M80drvr-
CFIT in Afghanistan? Night VFR? Combat sortie? Competency? Let's not simplify that example

I have not applied.

Military time can not be compared with pilot mill trained 2000 hour wonders. Some of these places are a joke.

I just don't understand why highly competent, experienced pilots (way more than me) are bypassed for these people.

Obama can answer that for you.

Obama can answer that for you.

Finally!!

An idiot chimes in.......Standard!!

Ok Beavis, how does he have ANYTHING to do with this thread!! Go back to jerking off to Glenn Beck (High School Grad, no college, drug addict) you clown!

Last edited:
Finally!!

An idiot chimes in.......Standard!!

Ok Beavis, how does he have ANYTHING to do with this thread!! Go back to jerking off to Glenn Beck (High School Grad, no college, drug addict) you clown!

Man you have an anger problem. Chill bro, I didn't mean to speak bad of your homie. Peace out.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back