• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2000 hour wonders hired at Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We all end up in the same place - 60 and miserable. Some of us just took a different path to get here!

Gup

Has anyone asked Tim Martins what he thinks? After all, he's been on both sides and is more qualified than anyone in here. He is so good he doesn't even have to do the Challenge/Reply portion of checklists, the checklists do it for him.

Oh yeah, how may days have you flown 7 legs in the weather, in the northeast corridor while in the military?.

You claim that an f16 pilot will quickly outfly on the line a 3,000 regional pilot who has spent 3-5 years in weather at jfk, ewr, lga, ord, dfw, lax, etc. is patently laughable.

Do you believe that a 1,500 hour purely fighter guy/gal would perform the same on the line (in bad weather in DTW) at CAL/UAL/DAL as a 6,000 hour former regional Captain?

Ooooohhhh...........weather :eek:.... in the northeast corridor :eek: .... bad, bad weather in DETRIOT!!!! 3-5 years of weather - make it stop!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the humanity!!!

You guys seem to be a little intimidated by the thought of flying in some weather..... or at least you seem to think it's hard, I guess.

Airline flying: Point A to B. Maybe a SID, a little cruise, vectors to an ILS, maybe a STAR now and then.......... and there's two of you!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ooooohhhh...........weather :eek:.... in the northeast corridor :eek: .... bad, bad weather in DETRIOT!!!! 3-5 years of weather - make it stop!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the humanity!!!

You guys seem to be a little intimidated by the thought of flying in some weather..... or at least you seem to think it's hard, I guess.

Airline flying: Point A to B. Maybe a SID, a little cruise, vectors to an ILS, maybe a STAR now and then.......... and there's two of you!!! :rolleyes:

Again, you have no idea what it's like to work at a REGIONAL. You went right to Fedex which is actually an airline where you're porbably spoon-fed everything. Hell, if you can't decide whether to go or not without crew meals, someone probably decides that for you.

At the regionals there's virtually zero support from dispatch, operations; your newly minted FO who is actually a menace more than anything. Add to that about six deferrals one of which is the APU, doing unpressurized takeoffs and landings, yada, yada, yada... The military direct to mainline route must be nice, but try about a month of regional flying in the northeast winters and you'll see it isn't what you think never mind ten years of that ********************.

Last edited:
Again, you have no idea what it's like to work at a REGIONAL. You went right to Fedex which is actually an airline where you're porbably spoon-fed everything. Hell, if you can't decide whether to go or not without crew meals, someone probably decides that for you.

At the regionals there's virtually zero support from dispatch, operations; your newly minted FO who is actually a menace more than anything. Add to that about six deferrals one of which is the APU, doing unpressurized takeoffs and landings, yada, yada, yada... The military direct to mainline route must be nice, but try about a month of regional flying in the northeast winters and you'll see it isn't what you think never mind ten years of that ********************.

Oakum,
I'm on my third airline. Easy w/ the assumptions.

So, you've got no ACARS, dispatch won't talk to you, you need to call a FSS, your F/O is worthless, you haven't eaten for 8 hours, the weather is bad and you need to divert. Bad day.

I could build a equally bad day on the other side of the planet dealing with Chinese ATC, metric altimetry, a serious system malfunction while juggling a SATCOM call, CPDLC comm issues and a possible divert to Kazakhstan. Regional guys don't have the market cornered on bad days just because they don't have big jets and all the toys.

However, nothing I've experienced in the 11 years I've been doing the airline/cargo thing has exceeded the challenges I experienced in the military. Since I left the service, I've flown 6 different airliners and operated to every continent on the planet except Antarctica. So, I feel like I've seen a pretty good cross section of what the civilian world of 121 type flying can throw my way. So far, it's been easier than the military. But, that's me. Maybe your situation is different. But, if the worst you've got is a disaster scenario involving the dreaded northeast:rolleyes:, winter weather, a green F/O, some deferrals and lack of dispatch support, I'm not going to be impressed. Sorry.

From my perspective, I'm glad it's easier. Thank goodness we all don't have that level of challenge every time we go to work for Fedex, Delta or whoever. I'm just glad that I have some extraordinary experiences to help me cope when things start getting tougher.

Yep, great. All in a day's work. I get it.. and I've heard the same story from more than a few friends who've gone to work at your company and others like it, and they all say exactly what you do.. It's wonderful, much easier than my last job, etc., etc, and nothing like the regional they left behind. Sounds strikingly similar to your military>major experience which was exactly my point.

Hey dummy, you need to understand a little sarcasm that apparently was missed by you and your fellow milly guy. Apparently, he's "Iceman" when it comes to flying a civilian plane in bad weather. :)

The training that the viper guy has been through has no equal in the civilian world. He may have some catching up to do with the glass guy in training, but will soon be outpacing him as soon as IOE. If the Viper guy can stay ahead of a single seat jet as a mission commander of a package (sts) on a red flag sortie or in actual combat, he can stay ahead of an Airbus 320 into DTW in poor wx.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back