• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2000 hour wonders hired at Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But military hours are of higher quality. .

I was told that Embry Riddle hours were of higher quality - by a Riddle grad of course. It seems some military guys (or Riddle people) think that their hours are of higher quality.

I had a former military pilot remind me that he had done more inverted spins than I ever had. ( I did not start this conversation). I asked "in air carrer service (where we worked at the time) how many inverted spins he ever did carring passengers". I reminded him thet I had a run of 12 legs in a 16 hour duty day with no crew chief, dispatch, fueler, or loader. I asked him if he had... he never answered.

It's a job. Get over it.

Can you say - Inflated Ego - ??

So how does all that superior training, especially single seat, make you more able to fly an airliner than a properly trained and seasoned regional captain? Honestly, you must explain this to me.

I work with and train many x mil guys. They are good pilots, but no better than a freight guy or regional guy that has paid their dues. In fact we have a compliance problem with the e mil guys refusing to follow SOPs and an inate inability to fly as a crew. We have no such problems with the ex airline guys.

Your statement is overly simplistic and a slap in the face to every pilot that came up through the ranks without the military.

I fail to see how 1500 hours in a F15 is better experience than say 4000+ hours with 2000 hour of that being as a regional captain. I'm not saying you and your ilk are not as good as the experienced regional guy I am just trying to understand where your air of superiority comes from.

Last time I checked we were being asked to fly to DTW and land, not drop a strike package on it.

I'm not trying to come off as superior but when you are comparing a guy coming up through regional training and saying more folks would rather fly with them then a 1500 hr Mil guy. I have to completely disagree. Look at the Colgan accident. Guys (and the gal) can sneak through the regional training into a 121 glass cockpit. You think the colgan capt would have made it through all the training that 1500 hr F16 guy made it through? You think he's the only one out there?

You do fail to see it cause you haven't been through the training. Like you I've instructed but as a T-38 IP. We had to non fighter qual quite a few regional airline pilot guard guys (many with 3000+ crj time) . They often just couldn't keep up with the jet. Let's face we all like this airline flying cause it is, 99% of the time, it's a very easy job and pays pretty well (oneday hopefully......), but when the proverbial you know what hits the fan, I would rather have that F16 guy up there. Sorry I know that offends you but from the original posters theory that most would want to be flown by a 3000 hr 121 guy vs a 1500hr F16 guy, I very much disagree....

I'm just saying....

Last edited:
I was told that Embry Riddle hours were of higher quality - by a Riddle grad of course. It seems some military guys (or Riddle people) think that their hours are of higher quality.

I had a former military pilot remind me that he had done more inverted spins than I ever had. ( I did not start this conversation). I asked "in air carrer service (where we worked at the time) how many inverted spins he ever did carring passengers". I reminded him thet I had a run of 12 legs in a 16 hour duty day with no crew chief, dispatch, fueler, or loader. I asked him if he had... he never answered.

It's a job. Get over it.

Can you say - Inflated Ego - ??

Spin experience is useless for transport category. How many aileron rolls had he done?

So you'd leave SWA to come over to the big D? Good choice dude! Get back to the heavy metal that you deserve. :)

You are assuming that he could get hired by SWA to begin with. They are pretty good at weeding out losers, I mean, just look at the General and Scope, for example!!;) Methinks TC will get hit by the idiot-whacker as well!!:D

I'm not trying to come off as superior but when you are comparing a guy coming up through regional training and saying more folks would rather fly with them then a 1500 hr Mil guy. I have to completely disagree. Look at the Colgan accident. Guys (and the gal) can sneak through the regional training into a 121 glass cockpit. You think the colgan capt would have made it through all the training that 1500 hr F16 guy made it through? You think he's the only one out there?

Yet the military is full of accidents both from hacking the mission and guys screwing around....

You do fail to see it cause you haven't been through the training. Like you I've instructed but as a T-38 IP. We had to non fighter qual quite a few regional airline pilot guard guys (many with 3000+ crj time) . They often just couldn't keep up with the jet. Let's face we all like this airline flying cause it is, 99% of the time, it's a very easy job and pays pretty well (oneday hopefully......), but when the proverbial you know what hits the fan, I would rather have that F16 guy up there. Sorry I know that offends you but from the original posters theory that most would want to be flown by a 3000 hr 121 guy vs a 1500hr F16 guy, I very much disagree....

I'm just saying....
What you fail to realize is... the regional guys are doing it with no resources... meaning no money...

The DoD budget makes it pretty easy... everything is covered... it might not be the best and most comfortable unless you are USAF, but the regional guy flies 4 or 5 day trips constantly .. up to 30 hours a week.... with minimal mission planning.... and pay that qualifies for govt assistance...

In addition regionals pilots can seamlessly switch to the majors... same rules, ame type of flying... whereas MIL guys take longer to learn a completely different kind of flying... they adapt well.... but they do have to adapt...

It seems you know much about MIL flying and little about regional flying...

History is full of examples of civilian pilots who have done it better.. from Air Mail in the 1920s to flying freight in WWII to modern day CRAF missions...

Not sure why the MIL guys need to stroke their peacock feathers... it all comes down to attitude.....

Last edited:

You do fail to see it cause you haven't been through the training. Like you I've instructed but as a T-38 IP. We had to non fighter qual quite a few regional airline pilot guard guys (many with 3000+ crj time) . They often just couldn't keep up with the jet. Let's face we all like this airline flying cause it is, 99% of the time, it's a very easy\\

job and pays pretty well (oneday hopefully......), but when the proverbial you know what hits the fan, I would rather have that F16 guy up there. Sorry I know that offends you but from the original posters theory that most would want to be flown by a 3000 hr 121 guy vs a 1500hr F16 guy, I very much disagree....

I'm just saying....

I've flown with man mil guys that said they had plenty that slipped through the cracks.....look at any list of military accidents and you will probably see the same average (if not more)amount of pilot error accidents as you see in the civillian world. Just a year ago I was flying with a guy the just lost a friend in the sandbox. CFIT into a mountain. Perfectly good jet flown into a mountain on a VFR night. Their superior training and flying skills did not save that guy (actually two guys). God rest their souls!!!! And I pray for their families.

The Colgan pilots were very unqualified, no debate about that but to paint all commuter pilots with that brush indicates that you do, in fact, think you are superior because you were lucky enought to get your training paid for by the govt. If you have not yet gotten on with a major airline I would suggest the for the intervie, IOE and until you upgrade to captain, you check you attitude at the door. After the interview is over you are just a number. The 2000 hour wonder that is a day older than you will be senior to you regardless is you flew an F16, F22, F whatever. That 2000 hour wonder may be your captain. You and the rest of the mil guys should be honored for your service with a big thanks form all of us. But your attitude toward the rest of you fellow aviators does you and the rest of the mil folks a disservice. Airlines are small places, rumors and nofly lists form awefully quickly.

PS One more thing. Some of the non mil guys that troll this board just might be on the hiring board of the airline you want to get on with. Chest thumping and public distain toward the thousands of airlline folks applying for the same jobs may not be a good career move for you anf the rest fo you squadron mates trying to get a job.

Good luck

Last edited:
Yet the military is full of accidents both from hacking the mission and guys screwing around....

What you fail to realize is... the regional guys are doing it with no resources... meaning no money...

The DoD budget makes it pretty easy... everything is covered... it might not be the best and most comfortable unless you are USAF, but the regional guy flies 4 or 5 day trips constantly .. up to 30 hours a week.... with minimal mission planning.... and pay that qualifies for govt assistance...

In addition regionals pilots can seamlessly switch to the majors... same rules, ame type of flying... whereas MIL guys take longer to learn a completely different kind of flying... they adapt well.... but they do have to adapt...

It seems you know much about MIL flying and little about regional flying...

History is full of examples of civilian pilots who have done it better.. from Air Mail in the 1920s to flying freight in WWII to modern day CRAF missions...

Not sure why the MIL guys need to stroke their peacock feathers... it all comes down to attitude.....

Sounds like every other washout at the TRB.:)

Exactly! Thanks for making my point. The training doesn't compare....That's my entire point

Exactly! Thanks for making my point. The training doesn't compare....That's my entire point

No he was saying that with all that free training the Mil has just as many, if not for pilot error crashes than the airlines.

Nice try though.

I've flown with man mil guys that said they had plenty that slipped through the cracks.....look at any list of military accidents and you will probably see the same average (if not more)amount of pilot error accidents as you see in the civillian world. Just a year ago I was flying with a guy the just lost a friend in the sandbox. CFIT into a mountain. Perfectly good jet flown into a mountain on a VFR night. Their superior training and flying skills did not save that guy (actually two guys). God rest their souls!!!! And I pray for their families.

The Colgan pilots were very unqualified, no debate about that but to paint all commuter pilots with that brush indicates that you do, in fact, think you are superior because you were lucky enought to get your training paid for by the govt. If you have not yet gotten on with a major airline I would suggest the for the intervie, IOE and until you upgrade to captain, you check you attitude at the door. After the interview is over you are just a number. The 2000 hour wonder that is a day older than you will be senior to you regardless is you flew an F16, F22, F whatever. That 2000 hour wonder may be your captain. You and the rest of the mil guys should be honored for your service with a big thanks form all of us. But your attitude toward the rest of you fellow aviators does you and the rest of the mil folks a disservice. Airlines are small places, rumors and nofly lists form awefully quickly.

PS One more thing. Some of the non mil guys that troll this board just might be on the hiring board of the airline you want to get on with. Chest thumping and public distain toward the thousands of airlline folks applying for the same jobs may not be a good career move for you anf the rest fo you squadron mates trying to get a job.

Good luck

The whole discussion started with someone saying a 3000 hr regional guy was a safer bet then a 1500 hr F16 guy. I'm simply disagreeing with that original principle.

I'm already exactly where I need to be for my entire career and I have zero disdain for my civilian counterparts. I simply took offense to the 3000 hr regional guy being more qualified then the 1500 hr F16 guy. That's all - maybe the chip is on your shoulder...

Latest resources

Back