135 Scabs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
135 Scab

How about that young pilot that comes in for the first type rating in a jet to fly PIC, signs a two year training contract and locks into 26k per year. Just saw it happen for a CJ3.

Not a scab, but does hurt the average pay per seat. By the way that was over 60k less than the retired airline pilot was making that would not go along with what the operator was trying to do. They now will fill another 26k seat.

Mobie

We have several issues that come together in one place.
1. As an employer, if I can find experience, type rating, all ready to go, they get the job period over training anyone. Not applicable necessarily to recurrent.
2. If someone overqualified wants to offer their services, I will listen.
3. I think pay rates are influenced by a variety of things including geographic location, equipment types, and duties.
4. An example of value--- GV drivers are harder to find, especially with experience in type. Relatively new bird, fewer of them, equals higher pay.
There is no right number for pilot compensation.

Publishers said:
We have several issues that come together in one place.
1. As an employer, if I can find experience, type rating, all ready to go, they get the job period over training anyone. Not applicable necessarily to recurrent.
2. If someone overqualified wants to offer their services, I will listen.
3. I think pay rates are influenced by a variety of things including geographic location, equipment types, and duties.
4. An example of value--- GV drivers are harder to find, especially with experience in type. Relatively new bird, fewer of them, equals higher pay.
There is no right number for pilot compensation.

1. Never say never. You might miss a quality person. I would never limit myself to only those typed. While prefered, I would never make it a deal breaker.

2. Sure listen. If he want to gives them away it is your right to hire him. It is my right to call him to the carpet for his actions.

3. I have never understood why a pilot is less of a pilot in Biloxi, MS vs TEB?

4. True. Take it while you can because someone will try and undercut you later.

5. There is a correct number for compensation. Numerous salary survey's will tell you. Anything less than that and you will start to loose pilots. As a manager you need to realize if you constantly lowball you will have a higher turn-over and an unhappy group. No one can cost you more money than a disgruntled pilot ...I hope that you are telling this to your clients when negotiating their contracts. I know for a fact that TAG very specifically makes this point to aircraft owners.

Last edited:
I do not say never but will take the type and experience the majority of the time. Managed aircraft need you to take a whole different view than if it is just an aircaft owner hiring a crew. Still, with training being so expensive, my clients mostly want the type and some aircraft time.
As to location, it is not just pilots. Doctors, lawyers, and indian chiefs tend to get paid differently in different parts of the company. $100,000 a year job in San Francisco is not the same as a $100,000 job in Fargo ND. There is a cost of living relationship.

hawkerjet said:
I started this thread looking for others that share my feelings and I have found that many do. Thanks again to all who participated.

Have a soon-to-not be hypothetical for those with these sentiments. Answers may be illuminating.

Retired military - very solid pension and no "need" to work at all - wants (prefers) to do entry level cargo in Senecas - and will be paid the precisely same salary as the beginning chap who arrived there the traditional civil route.

Is Mr. retired-mil-no-need-to-work also a "scab?"

He is, after all, taking "someone else's job" - who needs the multi time. Riiiiiight?

Apples and oranges Tyro. The aircraft has nothing to do with the equation. As long as he is coming to work for the same amount of money that the current Cappy makes. The problem I have is.... " if he wanted to fly senecas for less, than the other seneca pilots were making."

Don't have a stake in this game but with 28 years of business experience with one company in positions that included responsiblity for 34 different countries I do understand free enterprise and the law of supply and demand. Word to the wise, forget you are entitled to anything, you are not. Enjoy your work and it isn;t work, deal with the hand you are dealt and if you can't handle the circumstances where you are, move on. One final thought.....if you make approximately $48000 annually you make more than 99% of the worlds population (worldrichlist.com) ..... be thankful for what you have, keep a positive outlook as all that negative griping does is make you and anyone near you miserable.

diamonds2 said:
Don't have a stake in this game but with 28 years of business experience with one company in positions that included responsiblity for 34 different countries I do understand free enterprise and the law of supply and demand. Word to the wise, forget you are entitled to anything, you are not. Enjoy your work and it isn;t work, deal with the hand you are dealt and if you can't handle the circumstances where you are, move on. One final thought.....if you make approximately $48000 annually you make more than 99% of the worlds population (worldrichlist.com) ..... be thankful for what you have, keep a positive outlook as all that negative griping does is make you and anyone near you miserable.

That is correct. The only difference is for 99% of the population that $48K a year gets you something. Try living on $48K on the West Coast. Yes, I am talking home ownership and saving for retirment.

I think that most of us are all thankful for what we have EARNED. The last thing we need is somebody lower our collective standard of living because of his or her need for some sort of self worth because they are bored. Ours is a profession with professional standards .... including pay.

You can talk all you free market BS and we will continue to call BS on guys who come in and attempt to lower my profession to that of a hobby.

You sound like a one of those guys who says "at least we do not suck as bad the guys down the road." I worked for a guy who said this. Real motivating.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back