135 Scabs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dave Benjamin said:
A bit uncomfortable with the "it's a free country concept?" Capitalism just not working out the way you expected? Answer the following scenarios honestly and then reevaluate this thread.

Scenario 1. You own a house. The deck is badly deteriorated and needs to be replaced. You've got bids from several contractors ranging from $4000-$6000. You find out your neighbor 3 houses away is a retired general contractor and a master carpenter. He tells you he'd be happy to do the project for $2750. Since he's retired his schedule is flexible and he can start any time you'd like him to? Do you hire him or go with the contractor for twice as much?

Scenario 2. Same house. Plumbing needs to be redone. Turns out a neighbor is a retired plumber who used to have his own plumbing company. He's replumbed hundreds of houses just like yours. His bid is about half of what a regular plumber would charge. Who do you hire?

Scenario 3. Your wife swipes a guardrail with your car. You don't have collision coverage so the repairs are coming out of your own pocket. Body shop quotes 2500. Guy down the street is a retired body and fender guy who has been doing repairs and restorations since dents were filled with lead. He'll do it for a grand. Hire him or go with the shop downtown?

Scenario 4. It's tax time. You have a complicated return due to owning a few rental properties and a retail business. The fee at the place that normally does your taxes is $550. At a cocktail party you meet a guy that just retired as VP of accounting for a medium sized corporation. He tells you he has all the current tax software on his computer and that he does tax returns for friends and family just to "keep a hand in the business." He further explains that he wants to stay in accounting part time just to keep his mind sharp and so he doesn't get bored now that he has a lot of spare time. He'll do your tax return for $175 and a bottle of Ranch Zebaco Dancing Bull Zinfandel ($14). Who does your tax return?

Everybody acts like aviation is the only industry where you have people willing to do your job for less. Happens in a lot of industries.

Oh and BTW there are no scabs in the world of 135 unless you happen to be unionized. Throwing that word around inappropriately doesn't impress anyone.

Obviously, many people that run companies will hire somebody that costs them less. I don't think that this is what the issue is about. It's what we, as employees can do to stop the race to the bottom in aviation.

Anyways, perhaps a more appropriate analogy would be:

Through no fault of her own, your dog needs an abortion. The crazy whackos down at the Vet clinic want $500 bucks to do it. One afternoon at a NASCAR tailgate party, you meet a nice young man with an interesting collection of multi-colored coathangers. He says he'll do it for two hotdogs and your tattered Dale Earnhardt cap. Who do YOU go with?

grandma said:
It's what we, as employees can do to stop the race to the bottom in aviation.

I swear if I ever hear anyone use the term "race to the bottom" in my physical presence while referring to anything aviation related I'm going to whip 'em over the head with a crash axe. :rolleyes:

h25b said:
I swear if I ever hear anyone use the term "race to the bottom" in my physical presence while referring to anything aviation related I'm going to whip 'em over the head with a crash axe. :rolleyes:
Out here in the country "race to the bottom" means the river bottoms. Where, of course, the beer bashes are held.
:beer:

h25b said:

Gee, sorry I blew up.

Latest resources

Back