135 Scabs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pilotyip,

I'm hi-jacking the thread here, however, I'm curious by your A/C flown. If you flew Neptunes then obviously you've been around the block a few times.

What about the B-17G? I'm just curious. I'd give my left one just to sit in it!

h25b said:
I'll second that... Talk about one big sour grapes thread. You guys that have a problem with retired airline guys need to get a life.

h25b ... Nice pictures of the kids:beer:

It is not about retired airline guys coming out to the corporate world. It is about guys who are asking for less than the market rate because they do not "need" as much as a guy with a family to support.

Until you have seen a guy with a family to support get undercut by this you will not understand.

Yes, it is America, I know :)

G100driver said:
h25b ... Nice pictures of the kids:beer:

It is not about retired airline guys coming out to the corporate world. It is about guys who are asking for less than the market rate because they do not "need" as much as a guy with a family to support.

Until you have seen a guy with a family to support get undercut by this you will not understand.

Yes, it is America, I know :)

Thanks for the compliment...

The point I'm getting at is that there are far more young eager pilots out there willing to do it for less than there are retired airline pilots.

When a better looking prostitute shows up on your corner, you either take the cast offs or find another corner.....

135 scabs

Where I last worked (and I am retired airline not working cheap wage) we had one of the pilots go to NJA and came back doing contract work at 1/2 the day rate that was normal on his days off.

So do not give me this retired airline pilot undercutting you. I will not work for anyone that does not pay what I am worth.

This is to say that h25b is right.

h25b said:
Thanks for the compliment...

The point I'm getting at is that there are far more young eager pilots out there willing to do it for less than there are retired airline pilots.

Last edited:
Oooh...up on my soapbox

We have a guy, early 60's, who is retired airline, huge pension- got out before the troubles, who just wants out of the house cuz his wife drives him nuts, guess he doesn't golf. He has only flown majors, never 135 before, can't land a biz-jet even after two-yrs- slams it on every time! Have to pick-up pax teeth and give 'em back as they get out! Has failed 2 check-rides, forgets things all the time, ATC always getting frustrated with him because he can't seem to find the runway or get the needles right! He isn't even worth the crap wages that he told the owner he would take just so he could still "play" pilot. Now, owner, who is not a pilot, enamored with the fact he was an airline captain, has made him chief pilot! Now he believes that we should all take the same crap wages, but since he can't reduce our pay, expects us to now all become FO's on second biz-jet at company we are not typed in, and they have no intention on typing us in, for no more money! If we don't accept the additional job, we can leave- he put it bluntly. He says there are plenty of "hungry" pilots out there who are waiting in line to take our place & they will do it for even less! The shame of it all is that he is right! Unless we are willing to sell our home, move our family, let my wife's business here go down the tubes, the kids have to change schools, then we are up **** creek! Now we all have to follow his rules, and we have to change the way that the rest of us career (over 20yrs) corporate pilots have learned is the right way- and do everything the 121 way!! This guy won't even be able to be insured in a few more years, and he can't fly worth ****! If I got this guy up in a taildragger, he'd pee his pants!! Doesn't really like airplanes, never even taken his kids (grown now) up flying in a small plane cuz he doesn't like them (planes, not the kids).

We have a guy, early 60's, who is retired airline, huge pension- got out before the troubles, who just wants out of the house cuz his wife drives him nuts, guess he doesn't golf. He has only flown majors, never 135 before, can't land a biz-jet even after two-yrs- slams it on every time! Have to pick-up pax teeth and give 'em back as they get out! Has failed 2 check-rides, forgets things all the time, ATC always getting frustrated with him because he can't seem to find the runway or get the needles right!

Worked with 2 CP's like that, one was ex-mil and the other civvie, so any source can provide a hack. It takes a concerted effort by a majority of the crews complaining en masse to mgmt, but you can change it.

As for the pay, we also had a situation where we were being bought out and pay was cut 50% - for flight crews only! - because they thought we would put up with the $hit for 3 months or so. The captains all went to the company president and threatened to walk. Guess what? The captains pay wasn't touched, but FO's was cut (because no one stood their ground).

Stick together, and your chances are much improved.

the solution

Start a nationwide 135 professional organization like the AMA is for doctors. It becomes very powerful in determining charges for services and stoping abuses.

This would not be an aviation union. We are not a labor group we are professional pilots and as such should have a strong professional organization to help protect against what ever.

I believe that's why the airline pilots got it wrong with unions. they should have created a professional organization like the AMA rather than a labor union structure mentality. They are not laborers.

So lets start a PPA. Every 135 pilot in the country would belong and then we would be in a position to say no to abuses.

Until that time Economics 101 will rule, Supply and Demand!

Please excuse my spelling, it's late.

Just a thought.

DES

Latest resources

Back