• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

You might be a "Kernal"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah if your Captain introduced himself as "Buzz" You wouldn't automatically think he was a doosh?

Probably not. Many people go by nicknames. But, if he spent the first day of our trip talking nonstop about the military, and he insisted on going by his military callsign, yeah, he's a friggin' doosh.

We have a lot of absolutely great former military guys here at the 'Tran. Some of my favorite guys to fly with are former military. But you know what they all have in common? You usually don't even know that they're former military until it randomly comes up in conversation half-way through the trip. On the other hand, you know you're in for a long-ass trip when the guy starts talking about "the Academy" and asking you to call him by his callsign before you've even pushed back on the first leg of the trip.

Then why do 90% of our incidences come at the hands of military pilots?

And have you read NUTS? Attitude is supposed to be everything here- you can train people to do the job- and I agree with you on that- what makes a guy a dbag Kernal is the attitude. What makes them poor airline pilots is lack of crm. And with that I can make the comparison. Flying with a civilian is a much easier, more professional, safer airline flight deck.

As for helo- I can't compare it, but I flew with many in the regionals getting their fixed wing time- 10% had trouble with the fixed wing pitch power relationship, the others were great
You don't know what I can compare and what I can't AC

And it's that assumption that military is automatically more difficult and selective than anything a civilian can do that's the problem. You clearly don't know what programs I was in and assume if my check cleared, I passed. You'd be wrong.

Well you and PCL devolved this thread into anyone using a callsign or using certain terms is stereotyped. What kind of attitude is that? Did you think perhaps its just part of their vernacular like saying "cool" or "awesome"?

I know you don't have any helo time because helicopters have the same pitch and power relationship. Pitch+Power+Performance. No difference. Do some reading on CAT A Ops or helicopter instrument flying if you don't believe me.

As far as CRM goes and the rest I think you just start with a bunch of assumptions out of ignorance. Military pilots receive CRM training, they do LOFT, and annual recurrent training. Anything adverse you have experienced was more the product of the individual than whether or not they were fighter pilots or helo pilots. I don't care what training you received. You know as well as I do no civilian program even comes close.

Probably not. Many people go by nicknames. But, if he spent the first day of our trip talking nonstop about the military, and he insisted on going by his military callsign, yeah, he's a friggin' doosh.

We have a lot of absolutely great former military guys here at the 'Tran. Some of my favorite guys to fly with are former military. But you know what they all have in common? You usually don't even know that they're former military until it randomly comes up in conversation half-way through the trip. On the other hand, you know you're in for a long-ass trip when the guy starts talking about "the Academy" and asking you to call him by his callsign before you've even pushed back on the first leg of the trip.

Why don't you try being civil, maybe saying "oh the Acadmey, great school, lousy football team. Ha Ha Ha" or "hey how did you get that call sign?" You sound like an envious child. So people are not supposed to be who they are until you give them the thumbs up? Is that the deal?

No, the deal is don't be a boring doosh.

If the "nothing comes close" line is accurate AC- then how on earth do so many weak military pilots end up at southwest?

And again, the weaker the pilot, the more common it is for them to shove their superiority complex down a civilians throat -
CIVILIANS DO NOT START THIS MIL v CIV THING.

Should I put that in bold for you?

Last edited:
wave, you just don't understand. If only you had spent 12 years to accumulate 2,000 hours of single-pilot single-engine jet time, maybe then you'd get it. ;)

We're not worthy! We're not worthy! [/waynesworld]

If the "nothing comes close" line is accurate AC- then how on earth do so many weak pilots end up at southwest?

And again, the weaker the pilot, the more common it is for them to shove their superiority complex down a civilians throat -
CIVILIANS DO NOT START THIS MIL v CIV THING.

Should I put that in bold for you?

Someone needs a reality check. Are you telling me UND, ERAU, ALL ATPS's or your local Cessna Pilot Center produces better pilots in 250 hours than Pensacola, Randolph, or Sheppard. Seriously. 250 hours in Cessna 172's makes a better pilot than 250 hours in high perfromance jets and turboprops? Sure Wave whatever you say.

wave, you just don't understand. If only you had spent 12 years to accumulate 2,000 hours of single-pilot single-engine jet time, maybe then you'd get it. ;)

We're not worthy! We're not worthy! [/waynesworld]

Oh vectors to a straight in ILS in an automated flying bus. Sooooooooo hard. A carrier qualified pilot could never handle something like that.

Oh vectors to a straight in ILS in an automated flying bus. Sooooooooo hard. A carrier qualified pilot could never handle something like that.

I never said it was hard. I'm the first person to tell you that the job is damned easy if you let it be, actually. My point was that you're nothing special, kernal.

Latest resources

Back