• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

You might be a "Kernal"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you scream "GUARD!!!!!!!!!" on guard because you are a guard nazi you might be a kernel...

LOL....

I'll add that if you monitor guard during domestic ops like it's your job...... You might be a Kernal.

Funny story about this subject. A few years ago, I'm flying with a guy who monitored guard (great guy, even though he was a F-15 type. Not that there's anything wrong with that ;) ).

While we were listening, some guy (gasp) made a gate call on guard (likely because the Kernal he was flying with was dutifully monitoring guard) and, predictably, the guard police went nuts.

At least 5 "GUARD!" "YOU'RE ON GUARD" calls were made, long after the offending pilot had likely realized his mistake and was on the proper freq. In the middle of the din of "GUARD"s, a very accurate rendition of Butthead (of Beavis and Butthead fame) came on and said: "Settle Down, Kernal".

All hell broke loose, as the guard police tied up guard for about 5 minutes bitching about regional pilots on the radio. Good times!

Last edited:
^^^^ God bless there lil hearts! What else do they got to do when they aren't home telling their wives how to fold towels the proper way!

And based on the guy I'm flying with...you might be a kernel if you wear a Casio GShock to check every number on the plane including my age...wicked nice flip phone also!

Use a napkin to protect your belt buckle.

Is that what it's for? Seriously all these years I've watched this and wondered. Even when there's no meal.

Not a lot of kernals at DAL. You have to coax out backgrounds and can go an entire 4-day without knowing. Although statistically around 80% of the CA's are ex-mil.

(That being said, you can discern Navy vs Air Force with around 95% certainty. ;))

Not a lot of kernals at DAL. You have to coax out backgrounds and can go an entire 4-day without knowing.

Seriously? You wouldn't know it from the DALPA guys. AKA: Buzz, Bart, Kemo, Shrubs, Needles, etc.

Seriously? You wouldn't know it from the DALPA guys. AKA: Buzz, Bart, Kemo, Shrubs, Needles, etc.

That must be a different DAL. I stand by my post. Talk of backgrounds comes up at the bar. But rarely in the cockpit.

Put it another way, nobody brags about it.

That must be a different DAL. I stand by my post. Talk of backgrounds comes up at the bar. But rarely in the cockpit.

Put it another way, nobody brags about it.

Nah, same DAL. I've been jumpseating on DAL for years, and I agree that I've never seen that crap in the cockpit. But the kernels seem to gravitate to DALPA, with exceptions, of course.

Latest resources

Back