• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

You might be a "Kernal"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When has SWA ever run a class of 87% civilians?

And are you trying to tell me that the military faction of Swapa wouldn't be WAY more vocal if SWA was interviewing just 1 of 6 per group military and hiring just 4 of 30?

A serious question- are you really trying to tell me that?

You aren't the one getting pissed on by civilians bubba- so maybe you just don't know how some of your military guys act around SWA-

And please remember- this is airline 6 for me. My legacy has it's issues- but this constant military superiority living in the past was not one of them. The charter company I flew with hired mostly military.

Military pilots at SWA have earned their bad reputation by their arrogant sense of entitlement - it isn't my fault for calling a spade a spade or a dbag a dbag-

Read the thread bubba- I've got lots of ex mil friends all of which can't stand the kernals too-

But this is an entrenched cultural issue in our ranks BECAUSE SWA hooks up so many- how can those in this class not have a sense of entitlement?

26 out of 30 is ridiculous and you know it when the military makes up such a large percentage of our crap pilots

If this is news to you bubba, you might just be a ....

You seriously need to get laid. Preferably by someone in the service or who has served before. They shag the best! :beer:

When has SWA ever run a class of 87% civilians?

And are you trying to tell me that the military faction of Swapa wouldn't be WAY more vocal if SWA was interviewing just 1 of 6 per group military and hiring just 4 of 30?

A serious question- are you really trying to tell me that?

Yes, I'm trying to tell you exactly that. The overwhelming majority of us couldn't give the slightest crap where their partner got their training. All we care is that the guy (or gal) we fly with has a decent personality, for 3-4 days' worth of sitting side by side. If you've got a few good stories, I don't care if they took place in an Air Force plane, an outhouse, a Abrahms tank, a 30-year old 747 freighter, or a twin Otter in Asswipe, Africa (all stories I've heard for the other pilot).

And I have no idea if SWA ran a class of 87% civilian or not; I've never known anyone who kept track but you. All I know is that -I- seem to fly with more FOs who were civilian trained than military trained. I don't know why that is, nor do I care. Perhaps it goes in cycles, and it just worked out that way for the typical seniority of guys I usually fly with. Maybe it's because ex-military guys tend to be older, have to retire sooner, and leave more civilians behind. I don't know.

And as far as this most recent wave of interviewing that you're complaining about, you might take up your concerns with the third party company who created the computer program that determines who's competitive for hiring, since it was a computer that determined who got interviewed this time--no more hooking your buddy up.

You aren't the one getting pissed on by civilians bubba- so maybe you just don't know how some of your military guys act around SWA-

Actually, I have. When I was a FO, there were two civilian-trained captains I flew with who treated me like crap, just because I was formerly military. And while we have former military D-bags here--and trust me when I say this, Wave--we have plenty of D-bag civilian-trained guys as well. Perhaps since you're more familiar with that particular brand of feminine product, you don't notice the scent as much.

And please remember- this is airline 6 for me. My legacy has it's issues- but this constant military superiority living in the past was not one of them. The charter company I flew with hired mostly military.

Really? Apparently, military-trained guys are only "arrogant," "entitled," and D-bags" when they get hired by Southwest, but not when they get hired by other civilian carriers? Is that really what you're saying?

Military pilots at SWA have earned their bad reputation by their arrogant sense of entitlement - it isn't my fault for calling a spade a spade or a dbag a dbag-

Read the thread bubba- I've got lots of ex mil friends all of which can't stand the kernals too-

But this is an entrenched cultural issue in our ranks BECAUSE SWA hooks up so many- how can those in this class not have a sense of entitlement?

26 out of 30 is ridiculous and you know it when the military makes up such a large percentage of our crap pilots

Again, for the hard of hearing, a third-party computer determined who got interviewed this time--no "hooking up of friends" by anyone this time. So you'll have to pick some other boogeyman to blame for there being such a high percentage of military-trained interviewees in this batch.

If this is news to you bubba, you might just be a ....

By the way, I never cared before, but now you got me curious. So I just looked up my new hire class from 13 years ago. Out of 24 guys, there was 15 civilian trained, and only 9 military trained. What an outrage! I should have whined to someone back then! That's over 62% civilian! Unfair!

Bubba

That 3rd party computer program had parameters set by us somewhere. Garbage in garbage out,

Look, I don't give a rat's ass where someone is from either, but maybe you don't notice the dbag mil scent either for the same reason.

Again, I'm not saying military pilots are different - I'm saying the culture of holding onto your past is different here than at other airlines. To me, it's still the ripple effect of that Phx meet and greet era where so many were hired on a handshake and came in thinking they were special. It's cultural here. I've had no less than a half dozen compliment me and drink beer- and then tell me Swa ought to go back to that kind of a process for military pilots- he wanted me to agree with him. Seriously?

I'm sorry you want to play it so cool- but these are valuable jobs. And though most of my friends have long since landed where they've landed I don't like the blatant disrespect for civilians that hiring 4 out of 30 represents. It's hugely discriminatory.

Funny how the guy who's background isn't discriminated against finds no problem with it.

Maybe you're not all that enlightened to how much your 20% is a pain in the ass.

I thought I'd never see the day....

A fight to the death between Bubba and Wave!!!

"Como Estan Beeches!!"
-Anchorman-

Latest resources

Back