• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

You might be a "Kernal"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I never said it was hard. I'm the first person to tell you that the job is damned easy if you let it be, actually. My point was that you're nothing special, kernal.

Hence the problem with your attitude. I respect people for their accomplishments and appreciate their military service and the sacrafices they made. They did a lot of things so you didn't have to. You lack maturity.

Someone needs a reality check. Are you telling me UND, ERAU, ALL ATPS's or your local Cessna Pilot Center produces better pilots in 250 hours than Pensacola, Randolph, or Sheppard. Seriously. 250 hours in Cessna 172's makes a better pilot than 250 hours in high perfromance jets and turboprops? Sure Wave whatever you say.

Yes- Are YOU saying that a Cal educated lawyer can't be as good as a military JAG attorney? What other profession suffers this?
And if no other profession suffers this, what makes civilian aviation so special that we do? We don't bomb people and as much as i'd like to shoot down GeneralLee, we aren't putting sidewinders on our winglets to shoot down delta jets as a way of competing.
This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. The ARROGANCE that perpetuates the MYTH that military pilots are USUALLY better pilots. They are not. ESPECIALLY in airline ops.
Besides, you're making the wrong comparisons- the academy does teach pilots to fly in cessnas first- the next step is turbine- are you trying to say that Skywest and republic and express jet don't train really good excellent airline pilots?

I'm saying that studying in excellent university programs for 4 years on "airline ops" will yield a better "airline pilot" than a mil pilot trained in military ops.

95%

This majority hiring of military pilots is a bad road- I can't believe after decades of living with that Phx base of ours, we just put out a new hire class with 87% military.

Let me ask you AC- does 87% military sound right or fair to you?

We've earned a better seat at the table than that

Last edited:
Oh vectors to a straight in ILS in an automated flying bus. Sooooooooo hard. A carrier qualified pilot could never handle something like that.

Yeah, that's a safe attitude-
That's the mentality that gets airline pilots on cnn

No respect for the gig

It IS hard for some people- esp when they have to retrain their whole purpose for and way of flying

Hence the problem with your attitude. I respect people for their accomplishments and appreciate their military service and the sacrafices they made. They did a lot of things so you didn't have to. You lack maturity.

No, you lack humility.

Wow. What was a promising thread, hijacked by the same knuckleheads that make this forum a form of mental retardation.

If you ever told your FO to address you as "Colonel"... you might be a "Kernal". (too many anecdotes for it not to be true)

Wow. What was a promising thread, hijacked by the same knuckleheads that make this forum a form of mental retardation.

If you ever told your FO to address you as "Colonel"... you might be a "Kernal". (too many anecdotes for it not to be true)

Fair enough

If you use the words "tally-ho", "roger wilco", "bogey", "bandit", and/or insist on shouting "guns!" every time another aircraft passes within a mile, you are definitely a tool-bag Kernal.

Don't forget "angels"..

Yes- Are YOU saying that a Cal educated lawyer can't be as good as a military JAG attorney? What other profession suffers this?
And if no other profession suffers this, what makes civilian aviation so special that we do? We don't bomb people and as much as i'd like to shoot down GeneralLee, we aren't putting sidewinders on our winglets to shoot down delta jets as a way of competing.
This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. The ARROGANCE that perpetuates the MYTH that military pilots are USUALLY better pilots. They are not. ESPECIALLY in airline ops.
Besides, you're making the wrong comparisons- the academy does teach pilots to fly in cessnas first- the next step is turbine- are you trying to say that Skywest and republic and express jet don't train really good excellent airline pilots?

I'm saying that studying in excellent university programs for 4 years on "airline ops" will yield a better "airline pilot" than a mil pilot trained in military ops.

95%

This majority hiring of military pilots is a bad road- I can't believe after decades of living with that Phx base of ours, we just put out a new hire class with 87% military.

Let me ask you AC- does 87% military sound right or fair to you?

We've earned a better seat at the table than that

Gotta wave BS flag on this one Wavey. I think most of us would rather have a freshly separated military puke slinging the gear as opposed to a newly ERiddle grad (in most cases).

It's all about the training. The intensity and standards set by the military during pilot training are more demanding and more thorough than the civilian side. There are just a few second chances during training so the those with awful hands or poor judgement usually are eliminated. For goodness sakes they eliminate people for not being able to bring an Emergency procedure to a successful conclusion during stand up EPs (orally). The civilian side will gladly take more money to get anyone through pilot training.

That being said, when you get to the level that you're at, it all boils down to individual ability. If you're bad now, you have always been bad...Making this conversation all about egos. This conversation belongs in the Regional forum.

Latest resources

Back