• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

You might be a "Kernal"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you have more than 2,837 posts on FI.

Ooh, wait a tic...

Nah, I think that just makes us trolls with no life, not kernels :)
Kernel isn't just a term for pet peeve - it is a specific kind of guy

A sexist term there- anyone met any female kernels?
I've flown with females I'd rather not, but they weren't kernels

I encountered a female Captain-Kernel jumpseating once, a most rare breed indeed. There was no point trying to converse with her; a particularly self-absorbed, overbearing micro-manager. The F/O was ex-regional and judging from his face, one could sense this was going to be a long trip for him.

AirCobra is definitely a Kernal

Momma, I've been validated 6 ways from Sunday, it ain't about me - and yet military pilots are the ones showing the superiority complex and earning their Kernal title

I said it in the other thread- if you're a Kernal don't pretend the normal ex mil guys arent rolling their eyes right along with civilians- they hate flying with you too

But a spade is a spade- most of our cultural pains in the ass are military at SWA -

And guess what??

25 of 30 in class right now are military

Don't pretend like civilians ever START the mil v civ debate

It STARTS with that ^^^ stat and how UNQUALIFIED mil pilots who have light flight time never flown 121 keep getting hooked up

I wonder how fun this group of pilots will be to fly with as a civilian when they're military superiority complex gets validated by SWA to this level

Nah I would have loved to have flown F-18's instead of helos or turboprops. I would have loved to have gone to one of the service academies too if I had the grades in HS. I wouldn't say I envy those guys but I do respect them. Be real here. How many kids put posters of Beech 1900's on their walls.

My posters were vintage panam clippers
Flying boats to 74's

I've always only wanted to be an airline pilot.
And as this job goes, no better foundation than a 1900-

Certainly a hell of lot more applicable than a fighter- until swa signs that contract to drop bombs on Iran that is...

I respect them too for the most part. But they aren't more qualified as an airline pilot than an rj pilot. They aren't. We don't fly fighters in military ops at southwest. We fly 121 jets - it's absolutely backwards that we hire the guys with the least applicable kind of flight time, at the lowest amount of flight time- total good ole boy club-

And for the record- I had the grades and the MBA and excellent training at every step- there is no other career where military service gives a person this kind of a hookup- none. Attorney. Doctor. Name a profession where one can be absolutely excellent w/o mil service and still take a backseat to average mil people?
If it were the other way around, you guys would be up in arms-
Again, civilians didn't start the fight- we are not the grizzled old weird turboprop drivers with sketchy backgrounds and can't figure out how to shine our shoes - today's civilians have every bit the training as mil pilots complete with advanced systems, aerodynamics and professional development at universities And with WAY more applicable experience-
Military guys come into the BEST jobs as ROOKIES.

So AC- you flew helicopters- I'm of the opinion that fighter jets has barely more applicability to airline flying as helicopters do- why do airlines count almost none of a veterans helo time, but triple count fighter pilot time?
That sounds ass backwards as well

Last edited:
Yeah, that's it. It couldn't possibly be because anyone who goes by a callsign in civilian life is a massive doosh. :rolleyes:

Lets see, a guy has a nickname for 20 years. Now he transitions to civilian life and some no talent a$$ clown thinks he should drop his nickname so the civilian pilot doesn't feel inferior. Who is the doosh again? Like I said its pure envy.

Go ahead tell "Buzz" Aldrin he is a doosh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wcrkxOgzhU

Hahaha

Exactly pcl. Spot on. Don't blame us for you guys not keeping your d^uche bags in check

Reality check. Did you grow up dreaming of flying from Chicago to Dayton four times a day? Just because you didn't get to experience the cool parts of aviation or get to save lives, don't begrudge those that did.

Lets see, a guy has a nickname for 20 years. Now he transitions to civilian life and some no talent a$$ clown thinks he should drop his nickname so the civilian pilot doesn't feel inferior. Who is the doosh again? Like I said its pure envy.

Go ahead tell "Buzz" Aldrin he is a doosh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wcrkxOgzhU

"Buzz" isn't a callsign. He got that nickname when he was a kid. Try again, kernal.

My posters were vintage panam clippers
Flying boats to 74's

I've always only wanted to be an airline pilot.
And as this job goes, no better foundation than a 1900-

Certainly a hell of lot more applicable than a fighter- until swa signs that contract to drop bombs on Iran that is...

I respect them too for the most part. But they aren't more qualified as an airline pilot than an rj pilot. They aren't. We don't fly fighters in military ops at southwest. We fly 121 jets - it's absolutely backwards that we hire the guys with the least applicable kind of flight time, at the lowest amount of flight time- total good ole boy club-

And for the record- I had the grades and the MBA and excellent training at every step- there is no other career where military service gives a person this kind of a hookup- none. Attorney. Doctor. Name a profession where one can be absolutely excellent w/o mil service and still take a backseat to average mil people?
If it were the other way around, you guys would be up in arms-
Again, civilians didn't start the fight- we are not the grizzled old weird turboprop drivers with sketchy backgrounds and can't figure out how to shine our shoes - today's civilians have every bit the training as mil pilots complete with advanced systems, aerodynamics and professional development at universities And with WAY more applicable experience-
Military guys come into the BEST jobs as ROOKIES.

So AC- you flew helicopters- I'm of the opinion that fighter jets has barely more applicability to airline flying as helicopters do- why do airlines count almost none of a veterans helo time, but triple count fighter pilot time?
That sounds ass backwards as well

That is because airlines like SWA are stupid. Counting Piper Seminole time as more applicable to airline flying than flying glass cockpit, multi crew, turbine helicopter in all weather conditions just shows the ignorant mindset of many civilian and fixed wing only pilots.

Your problem is you don't have anything to compare your training too. No military time and no helicopter time. What comparison can you really make. You don't understand the academic ability and pure piloting skills that are required to be selected for fighters, not to mention the sheer volume of recurrent training. If a guy could do a single engine no flap landing in a T-38 or put an S-3 on a pitching carrier deck at night I am pretty sure the airmanship and decision making skills transfer over pretty well. Why do most test pilots come from the fighter community? Flying an airliner is not magic. It is all about trainability. And most military pilots already have a demonstrated ability to make it through an airline training course.

Then why do 90% of our incidences come at the hands of military pilots?

And have you read NUTS? Attitude is supposed to be everything here- you can train people to do the job- and I agree with you on that- what makes a guy a dbag Kernal is the attitude. What makes them poor airline pilots is lack of crm. And with that I can make the comparison. Flying with a civilian is a much easier, more professional, safer airline flight deck.

As for helo- I can't compare it, but I flew with many in the regionals getting their fixed wing time- 10% had trouble with the fixed wing pitch power relationship, the others were great
You don't know what I can compare and what I can't AC

And it's that assumption that military is automatically more difficult and selective than anything a civilian can do that's the problem. You clearly don't know what programs I was in and assume if my check cleared, I passed. You'd be wrong.

"Buzz" isn't a callsign. He got that nickname when he was a kid. Try again, kernal.

Yeah if your Captain introduced himself as "Buzz" You wouldn't automatically think he was a doosh? or would you check "Captain was your nickname from before or during the time you were in the military? Because if its during, I think that makes you a doosh"

Do you have any respect for other people? What kind of doosh makes a dooshey statement like "anyone who goes by a callsign in civilian life is a massive doosh" Someone with deep seated penis envy in my opinion.

Latest resources

Back