• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

You might be a "Kernal"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nah, I think that just makes us trolls with no life, not kernels :)
Kernel isn't just a term for pet peeve - it is a specific kind of guy

A sexist term there- anyone met any female kernels?
I've flown with females I'd rather not, but they weren't kernels

I have. She's a Ginger as well. Longest four days of my life - "There is no turbulence behind a line of thunderstorms, it's all in front".

:eek:

In my very limited experience with ex-military aviators, I'd say most were pretty darn good sticks but generally lacking in the CRM department. Even though I went the civilian route (stupid glasses), a military pilot is a known quantity that had to pass countless hours of training and checking that most civvies couldn't fathom. Uncle Sam ain't gonna give the keys to just any 'ol 300 hour schmo. In the civilian world, any dickhead with a big enough check book is gonna get his ratings no matter what. That is the huge difference in backgrounds.

Nah I would have loved to have flown F-18's instead of helos or turboprops. I would have loved to have gone to one of the service academies too if I had the grades in HS. I wouldn't say I envy those guys but I do respect them. Be real here. How many kids put posters of Beech 1900's on their walls.

I don't care who you are. That is funny . :)

Blaming me for this devolving into military vs civilian breaks down when you see SWA put classes with 85% military.

And it's not civilians looking down on military
It's the other way around

In my very limited experience with ex-military aviators, I'd say most were pretty darn good sticks but generally lacking in the CRM department. Even though I went the civilian route (stupid glasses), a military pilot is a known quantity that had to pass countless hours of training and checking that most civvies couldn't fathom. Uncle Sam ain't gonna give the keys to just any 'ol 300 hour schmo. In the civilian world, any dickhead with a big enough check book is gonna get his ratings no matter what. That is the huge difference in backgrounds.
OTOH, once in the door there's a near bottomless pit of money for some of the best training available all the while getting officer pay and not worrying about food, housing, medical and more. I have an equal respect for those who didn't have those advantages but, inspired only by their dream of flying and fear of starvation, arrived at the same place--the hallowed hall of aviators one and all.

Checked in today, guy introduces himself by call sign.

Introduces himself to FA's by same name (I hear silence "like WTf is he talking about")

Tells me he got involved with CAP a few years back!

Referenced flying the F-4 multiple times. Them the Viper. (I usually tell them I drove a Viper once, lot a horsepower but I prefer big slow Cadillacs.)

Has used all the correct pilot speak in first two legs! Tally ho, made a reference to "breaking the cap" when he spotted an a/c (whatever the F$&@ that means)

He's Doing my mental math for me, out loud, distance to go to field and altitude

This is exactly why I don't do 4 days!!! Only 3 more to go!

OTOH, once in the door there's a near bottomless pit of money for some of the best training available all the while getting officer pay and not worrying about food, housing, medical and more. I have an equal respect for those who didn't have those advantages but, inspired only by their dream of flying and fear of starvation, arrived at the same place--the hallowed hall of aviators one and all.

There is a saying. Military flight school is a million dollars worth of training shoved up your a$$ one nickel at a time.

Checked in today, guy introduces himself by call sign.

Introduces himself to FA's by same name (I hear silence "like WTf is he talking about")

Tells me he got involved with CAP a few years back!

Referenced flying the F-4 multiple times. Them the Viper. (I usually tell them I drove a Viper once, lot a horsepower but I prefer big slow Cadillacs.)

Has used all the correct pilot speak in first two legs! Tally ho, made a reference to "breaking the cap" when he spotted an a/c (whatever the F$&@ that means)

He's Doing my mental math for me, out loud, distance to go to field and altitude

This is exactly why I don't do 4 days!!! Only 3 more to go!

But the most important question is whether he was listening to guard!

GUARD!!!!!

Just for fun, try to be a better guard nazi than him, you won't regret it!

Latest resources

Back