• Watchers 84

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know a few

I have only flown (1) somewhat famous person. The lead saxophonist from the band Black 47. The guy was cool and even sent me an autographed CD and a t-shirt a month later.
As far as running across a few famous people the list is small but growing:
  • Gwenyth Paltrow
  • Martha Stewart (bent over right in front of me, not a pretty sight)
  • Hillary Clinton (now there's a woman who can bend over in front of me)
  • Bill Clinton
  • Bill Gates wife
  • Richard Dreyfuss
Not aviation related but I bowled in the lane next to ZZ Top at a private party. I also played pool next to the Black Crowes during the same party

Nelly
Stevie Nicks
Pres. Bush (before he got elected and after)
Pres. Clinton
John McCain
Many Nascar drivers
Zach Thomas (Dolphins player)
OJ
Fat Joe (rapper)
Jamie Foxx
Sammy Sosa
Tom Scholz (From the band Boston, flies a really nice A36)
Kurt Russell (At Simcom, he was in a TBM class)

And many more!

Let's see:

Al Gore
Dick Cheney
Hillary Clinton
Tipper Gore
Lynn Cheney
Mad Albright
Robert Rubin
John Mc Cain
Dennis Hastert
Jessie Jackson
Marion Barry
Hugh Shelton
Gen Meyers
Richard Cohen

that's all I have tme for now.

I can only think of one. I was waiting for a flight in Boise back in the 80s. A little old lady wearing the uniform of a Navy Admiral came and sat down.

Except for all the gold braid, she was the image of my own grandmother. As a computer geek well before it was cool, I knew exactly who she was.

I have always had a personal policy that I would never ask someone for an autograph unless I knew them or worked with them in some way. But had I known I would wind up as a software developer after my time in the Air Force I would have made an exception for Admiral Grace Hooper.

Not aviation-related, but years ago I spent several hours in Grand Central Station between trains, and watched Robert DeNiro and Meryl Streep film a couple of scenes for the movie Falling In Love. (It's quite interesting to see all the preparation that goes in to making one short scene).

I've also met several astronauts in my travels, including Deke Slayton, Guy Bluford (1st African American in space), Robert Parker, John Grunsfeld, Tony Antonelli.

I also rode on a schoolbus with Steve Young (NFL QB) during my senior year in high school.

More obscurely and obliquely, I knew the father of actress Rachel True and hung around her once or twice (I've seen her in a couple of movies and a UPN series), and instructed and became good friends with the sister of actress Suzanne Cryer (Seinfelds' Yadda Yadda girl).

Wow. An old thread revived.

Hmm. Media people first, from my old job in broadcasting.

Jack Lemmon

Earl Flynn’s grand-daughter, Rory, who was dating Alan White of Yes

The rest of Yes, many times. Partied with Jon and his wife, Jenni.

Phil Collins with his splinter band, Brand X, very late at night at one of my old stations. Or was that morning?

Phil Collins with Genesis. Offered me sushi backstage in his trailer at JFK stadium in 1982. It looked awful. I did an interview for my radio station, just before we became the second station to carry Howard Stern

Ozzie Osborn, just after he married his wife and was supposedly “on the wagon.” He wasn’t any brighter in the early 80’s than he is now.

Ellen Foley, sang with Meatloaf and appeared as the first ADA on Night Court. Was replaced by Markie Post, whom I would have loved to meet!

Metallica

Iron Maiden

The Hooters

America

The Eagles

Night Ranger

Helix

Martha Davis and The Motels

Loverboy

David Bromberg

Don McLean

The Monkees (well, Peter and Micky)

Arlo Guthrie

Pete Seeger (yep, I was a liberal back then)

Tom Rush (was a friend for several years)

John Prine (before his throat problems, in his heyday)

Tom Paxton (before his accident that almost killed him)

Robert Hunter, with Owsley “Bear” Stanley

Richie Havens

Steve Goodman

People I flew:

Andrew Card (and a bunch of really nice SS people)

Henry Kissinger

Madelaine Albright

Tony Snow

Jerry McEntee, Head of AFSCME

David Cone, Pitcher

John McEnroe

Danny DeVito

Met in FBO at IAD:

Al Gore

Bob and Libby Dole

Met at ALB:

Herb Kelleher

Haven't met too many famous people in either job, but a few:

Father of Janine (sp?) Turner from Northern Exposure...he was an instructor in my 737 type class.

John Young (NASA astronaut and commander of space shuttle flight number 1) in 2000 at Williams Gateway Airport, AZ while on a gas and go. Flying a NASA T-38...but he was looking VERY frail...I was surprised he was still flying.

Ross Perot at Randolph AFB while there for a Freedom Flyer reunion. He was looking pretty frail too.

Flew several times with Brig General (now Major General) Kevin Chilton in the T-38 at Beale AFB. Was pilot on first space shuttle Endeavour mission and mission commander for one of the Mir shuttle missions. There's definitely a reason he's an astronaut if flying ability has anything to do with it...

FastCargo

I met and shook the hand of Magic Johnson in L.A., and the Rev. Jesse Jackson in Austin.

I saw Jimmy Fallon in Austin, and saw but didn't recognise Matthew McConaughey. Also, missed Dave Chappelle by milliseconds, and met the flightcrew flying Elton John.

My wife spotted the drummer from No Doubt buying baby stuff at Walmart in front of us.

She has served, and met...
Cameron Diaz
Suzanne Summers
Michelle Kwan
Rick Fox
Magic Johnson
Robert Downey Jr.
Liz Phair
Tyson Beckford
Brendon Frasier

My claim to fame: I trained Wanda Sykes for her TV show 'Wanda does it' :)

Latest resources

Back