Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would SKYW inc trade ASA PBS and dumping ALPA for 1 list?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The role skywest is currently holding us at is nothing more than "sellable asset". Maintaining a position as a sellable asset is not the company I hope to be a part of in the long term.

Here is the fundamental disconnect in your logic. SkyWest, Inc. may not think of ASA as a long term asset. Maybe they like the flexibility of spinning off ASA as needed? How would the pilots change that position, and would changing their position even be an option?

Sweptback,
I have no idea whether it would work, but I am certain of two things. We would be better off if considered all one team, and our position right now (furloughing/cutting back flying/downgrading/losing east coast flying/ pbs on the table/very dim near future for 50 seat jets in the eyes of delta/overall industry position / possibility of being sold off again, this time to a bad company) puts us within reach of making it happen on both sides.

I'm not saying that everything at asa sucks. Quite frankly my lifestyle has been great, but Skywest is one of the best companies in the country. It's not going to get any better than this.

Could there be anything more useless than the word of an airline CEO? They have less character than Lucifer himself!! They are the lowest form of life this planet has ever seen! Lower than the single cell organisms that were in Earth's primordial ooze billions of years ago.

Not that I would lump Jerry Atkin into that mold, but that's the point I was and am making. SkyWest Inc. will do whatever is best for itself, it doesn't matter what any pilots or collection of pilots think or wants. I've spoken to many, many SkyWest Mgrs on my commute, and they all say the same exact thing....."When it makes financial sense to Jerry, he'll merge 'em. Union/Non Union doesn't matter, if it's financially beneficial to Inc. it'll happen." Makes sense, Pilots, ALPA, etc. do not matter in the affairs of business. Like it or not, we're jellyfish flowing with the tide, for the most part. Best we can do is provide an awesome product at a great price.

Trojan

That's exactly it though. ALPA and PBS directly effect the bottom line of Skywest don't they? I know that both items have a direct impact on our quality of life, but I am just to the point of thinking that as a company we need to lock ourselves in with Skywest, which is likely one of the best airlines in history instead of continuing on the path of being the ugly stepchild.

Also, all you single guys should already be signing a petition. Just think of the flight attendants that would be coming out here.

Maybe, you applied and were hired at the wrong airline.
However, I think that this is a pretty good place to work, better than most. What short end of the stick are you getting? Maybe, it's the short end you chose.

Maybe, you should go back to fishing.

I think we should enlist the services of the woman in speedtapes avatar and several of her friends, and send them out on a mission to destroy every airline CEO in the country by brute force.

That's exactly it though. ALPA and PBS directly effect the bottom line of Skywest don't they? I know that both items have a direct impact on our quality of life, but I am just to the point of thinking that as a company we need to lock ourselves in with Skywest, which is likely one of the best airlines in history instead of continuing on the path of being the ugly stepchild.

Also, all you single guys should already be signing a petition. Just think of the flight attendants that would be coming out here.

OneList is something I've always been for. As the cliche goes, united we stand...Things are happening. They may not happen as you expect or on the timeline you desire. Don't go chicken little on me if things don't happen when or how you expect. As others have....

Trojan

That's exactly it though. ALPA and PBS directly effect the bottom line of Skywest don't they?

ALPA only affects Skywest's bottom line because ALPA demands better pay and work rules. Getting rid of ALPA only helps the company's bottom line if you also lose the work rules and the pay. Are you prepared to give up everything in your contract? (Not that this is a serious discussion, anyway, because you can't just negotiate away the bargaining agent.)

This is a big discussion within the ASA ALPA inner circle right now, and there are two camps forming. There is a lot of worry about the upcoming election and the new Pinnacle contract. ALPA told ASA that a single list wasn't attainable, yet now Pinnacle achieved it. They also seem to have pay that is less than ASA, and no rigs. That puts ASA at an even bigger dissadvantage.

There are many here at ASA that don't want to become the next regional victim in the portfolio game. We are getting tired of some of ALPA's claims and games. We held the line here at ASA, and now this comes at Pinnacle. Many of us want ALPA, but we are getting tired of trying to justify what they do, while we suffer as the high cost operator.

I don't want to get rid of ALPA. I work hard as an ALPA volunteer. I can't support ALPA if things continue the way they are. I can't publically say what I think. If I do, I will be run out of my ALPA committee position.

ASA pilots, as an ALPA insider, you need to tell the leadership that you tired of the status quo. You need to challenge them. If you don't , nothing will change.

Measure it this way. If Skywest continues to grow and ASA continues to shrink, then it will be time to consider a different course. We must do what is in the interest of our pilot group, regardless of antiquated allegiances to any union.

Latest resources

Back