• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would NetJets Strike If...?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UR, my answer was based on Bogart's preface that Flex joined 1108. I was trying to explain the full situation to those not in a union. As far as sympathy strikes, I do know that other Teamsters (not even pilots) donated the use of their meeting hall in OMA and some helped the pilots with their picket-- in a security role, if I recall correctly.

Showing picket support on your own time hardly qualifies as striking and you know that.

As I suspect, NJA is likely prohibited from sympathy strikes. Support for those that do strike on your own time is a completely different matter.

So NJW, is a NJA pilot prohibited from engaging in sympathy stikes or not?

It appears not. From their contract...23.8 Labor Disputes: It shall not be a violation of this Agreemnet.....and shall not be cause for discharge or disciplinary action....where a pilot refuses to enter upon a property involved in a primary labor dispute, or refuses to go through or work behind any primary picket line...

This is the reason that NJ pilots can refuse to fly on a striking carrier, even when they are on duty. It seems to me that their contract could allow them to engage in sympathy strikes within the frac industry. More importantly, complicated legal questions like that are the reason that NJ pilots receive legal advice paid for by union dues.

UR, I was certainly not dodging the issue/question. I was simply addressing the situations that have already happened and are far more likely to happen in the future. Pilots fall under the Railroad Labor Act (as foolish as that may sound) and must be released by the National Mediation Board before they can strike. The NMB has a history of being conservative on the issue.

Last edited:
I am not a NJA pilot, but have been a union member(ALPA) for 38 years and I would say that NJA pilots would not do struck work. Struck work would be that flying that belonged to striking group, that is not going on strike, just not doing struck work.

I would hope that CS would also do the same.

If ever there was a labor force ready to strike it was the NJA pilots prior to the current CBA.
You need to remember we voted to strike but NEVER go close to being released by the mediator.
So a strike by NJA pilots under RLA law is remote.
We do have the right to not cross picket lines during legal labor actions.(ie NWA mechanics, no matter what is thought about it's merits)
So we could support our brothers in 1108, in different units, if they had a legal work action. How would we do that?
Not flying struck work;
Not using facilities owned by FO, etal;
Tracking replacement pilots, if necessary

There are many other avenues of support that could be offered.
But just think of ALPA, when one airline strikes the others don't stop flying, they abide by the rules mentioned above.

I'm pretty sure this answer was obvious and HB's post was just flame bait, but I thought I'd play a little tonight.

The phrase "not flying struck work" is much more applicable than "sympathy strike." I heard that phrase often from pilots on the SPC and used it here in my posts during the NJ contract battle.

UR, why would you be surprised? I could look up a passage in the RLA book if I needed to...;)

Stay home mother to a 10 yr old boy and a 5 yr old girl. Helpmate, best friend, etc to my husband. Very part-time volunteer for 1108. My husband's career has always been of interest to me. Our family's lifestyle and security is dependant upon it. I'm frankly surprised that more spouses aren't as interested, and that others find my interest level unusual. That said, my husband is far more involved in union affairs than the average line pilot.

Stay home mother to a 10 yr old boy and a 5 yr old girl. Helpmate, best friend, etc to my husband. Very part-time volunteer for 1108. My husband's career has always been of interest to me. Our family's lifestyle and security is dependant upon it. I'm frankly surprised that more spouses aren't as interested, and that others find my interest level unusual. That said, my husband is far more involved in union affairs than the average line pilot.

Ok, that explains it.

thanks.

Hey Bogart...ummm...why don't you go back to flying your J-41 at Trans States. Oh! Sorry, you were probably laid off, too. :smash:

Latest resources

Back