Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Humphreybogart

Here's Lookin At You Kid
If Flex and/or Flops would ever do something crazy like vote in the 1108, and then decide to strike to make a point, would NetJets strike with them to show the support of their union brothers and sisters? Just how strong is that 1108? Is your money (union dues) where your mouth is? It sure would be alot of pilots walking and not getting paid. Man is it great not to be part of any union mess.

Hey Bogey....tipping into the sauce a bit early tonight..... aren't you?

Ask yourself the following question......Will CS turn a profit?

We're just having fun with you Bogey.....

A bunch of us are down here in TEB eagerly awaiting your response.

To answer your question.....the boys here in the room all agree that we would follow the guidance of our MEC in that issue you presented.

What would YOU do if you happen to meet a striking Fractional pilot as you're entering an FBO?

We all know you would have to be careful in your approach for fear of what your management might say...but would you at least buy the guy a cup of coffee?

Bogart, I still thank the good lord I don't have to share a cockpit with someone as clueless as you. Don't drink then post!!!!!

You may want to think about being in a union, because I heard a rumor that, NJA was thinking about buying CS, can you say "staple" Bogart??? I knew you could.

If Flex and/or Flops would ever do something crazy like vote in the 1108, and then decide to strike to make a point, would NetJets strike with them to show the support of their union brothers and sisters? Just how strong is that 1108? Is your money (union dues) where your mouth is? It sure would be alot of pilots walking and not getting paid. Man is it great not to be part of any union mess.

Certainly quite strong, but they don't have above-the-law strength. Voting to strike is more complicated than you make it out to be, and only occurs after much debate among the membership and research by leadership. I've no doubt that all of Local 1108 would be involved, not just one pilot group. One section of a union may inspire the call for a strike vote but they can't act unilaterally. Furthermore, even if a strike vote is successful, the union must petition the NMB, whose release is based on the RLA.

My observation is that NJ pilots often refuse to fly on an airline that is striking. Thus, it's logical to think that they would show even more solidarity with their peers in the same industry, and if they were in the same union then certainly the pilots would follow the rule of the majority. If 1108 pilots voted to strike it would be because they strongly believed industry standards are more effective when applied across the entire industry and they felt that a strike would bring about their stated goals as a union.

Giving credit where credit is due, those union pilots that you are (inadvertently or deliberately?) disparaging are the very ones responsible for raising the bar on frac wages. The NJ pilots voted to strike by 93% and many walked informational picket lines in numerous cities across the country. That type of picketing generally precedes a strike and can affect bargaining to the point that the latter isn't required. Clearly, 1108 has already demonstrated that it is willing to put it's money where its mouth is. The insurance and permits for picketing weren't cheap, and then there were signs, meals and transportation for the pilots involved. In addition to the NJ pilot example, I will point to the Flt Ops banners being flown at the NBAA. Those aren't free....:rolleyes:

Good advice there RNO! Greetings to the pilots in TEB! Are you discussing the upcoming MEC election? :) NJW

Ok. I'll take the hook. Could someone step up and answer the dam question. It seems legitimate to me. Not being a union member I may be missing out on what the "brotherhood" is about. Does it mean that you have to be condenscending and snide? Have you dues paying brothers lost your consideration toward other? Oh! By the way. If one frax does strike and say all under the Brotherhood strikes as well, do you expect me, Mr. 135 pilot, to buy you a cup of coffee too? So a simple yes or no to the opening question would be the considerate thing to do. Bashing the guy for asking just doesn't make much sense to me. Besides. It seems to pose a new subject for all the Frax.

AJ

NJW. Thanks for being more mature than the rest of us here. Thanks for the input and clarification. It was an interesting question that most of us probably never fathomed.

I can't imagine the NJA's CBA allows "sympathy strikes". Or does it?

If there in language in the CBA that forbids sympathy stries, then the short answer is NO. They are legally prohibited against such strikes.

I think that's what your looking for....but, NJW put down a few hundred words above, so maybe she answered your question.

You're quite welcome, AJ. Discussions like that and other forward-thinking propositions are common around my house.

While I don't condone the snide remarks, considering the target, I understand the reason for the ire. Bogart's manners have often been less than exemplary and his anti-union stance does get old.

That would be a lot of coffee...:D I went to OMA when the NJ pilots picketed there. They were quite pleased with waves and words of encouragement.

UR, my answer was based on Bogart's preface that Flex joined 1108. I was trying to explain the full situation to those not in a union. As far as sympathy strikes, I do know that other Teamsters (not even pilots) donated the use of their meeting hall in OMA and some helped the pilots with their picket-- in a security role, if I recall correctly.

BTW, Bogart, FLOPS has already voted in 1108 and the pilots are now in negotiations. 1108 is now over 3000 strong.

Latest resources

Back